Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new human baby

kara1
October 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
hi i'm just wondering how long should i wait to get a new puppy with a new baby in the house. I've been wanting a dog for a while and ended up getting pregnant so thought i should wait, but what is a reasonable time frame

badger
October 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I would say it depends on how much time you have to train and exercise a rambunctious puppy while seeing to your baby's needs. Puppies are pretty exhausting and if you don't have the time to train them properly can become even more exhausting adults. Kind of like kids :)
You might think about going to the pound or a rescue group and adopting an older, more relaxed dog, one that has a proven track record around children and won't pee in the house. Of course, even an older dog needs walks and playtime, but you could take the baby and the dog out together.
There are thousands of lovely dogs waiting for homes. Please don't assume they all have issues, the vast majority do not, their only 'crime' being that they are in the way or take up too much time or don't match the couch (seriously, a cat was dumped for this very reason).
I would think long and hard about this, it is a lifetime commitment.

14+kitties
October 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I second what badger said. :thumbs up And congrats on the baby. Must be a Pets.ca thing. You are the third one now. :)

Rottielover
October 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I honestly would wait, find out if the baby is allergic, via friends, or allergy tests. But I do not know what age tests can be done.
So many people give up there animals because of allergies.
Also having a puppy is a hell of a lot of work, I did it, and let me tell you, will never do it again. It is like having 2 babies. LOL