Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Blue Heron Pics

clm
October 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Well, first pic is from this morning. Shooting through the screen in the upstairs window, so not the best shot. Then he decides to land on the roof of the house this afternoon, since we had the audacity to be sitting beside his pond at the time. :laughing:

Cindy

erykah1310
October 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
They are so stunning when they are not flying ( when they are flying they look a little odd but still amazing)

We have one that hangs out in the creek by the house.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Frenchy
October 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
ahhh , thanks for the pics clm . He's gorgeous ! Would love to have one in my yard :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
They really are impressive birds...when they're not after your fish! :rolleyes:

hmmmm...Cindy, if you stuffed some jeans and a shirt, added a pillow wearing a hat, attached some sort of streamers for hair (so that the figure would have some movement to it) and sat it in a lawn chair next to the pond, do you think it would be a good enough scarecrow to ward off the herons?

kathryn
October 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I love those things! Or cranes??. Whichever it is that lives in the marsh lands around here :D I dunno, their legs are neat though.

clm
October 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
They really are impressive birds...when they're not after your fish! :rolleyes:

hmmmm...Cindy, if you stuffed some jeans and a shirt, added a pillow wearing a hat, attached some sort of streamers for hair (so that the figure would have some movement to it) and sat it in a lawn chair next to the pond, do you think it would be a good enough scarecrow to ward off the herons?

I'm pretty chunky, stuffing a pair of my jeans would take some serious work. :laughing:
Since this fellow seems a little more determined than most, we've put some large rocks around that corner of the pond, so he has to stand even further back to hunt. He hasn't been back since his trip to the roof this afternoon, I know that cause I just came in. It's been a beautiful evening out there. I had a little fire out there in the fireplace for an hour or so too. The boys are beat after all that fresh air and they and hubby are all snoozing soundly now. :D
As much as I love herons, I'm hoping he's moved on and I won't wake up to see his lovely face, but I have a feeling he just might be there when I take the dogs out tomorrow morning at 5.

Cindy

14+kitties
October 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
They are very majestic birds. Very nice pics as usual!
One of these days I need to get me one of those nicer cameras. :D For now I am quite happy with mine though.
I hope your fishies are still safe. :fingerscr

Psssttt...... check your PM please. :D

clm
October 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
14+, now you can check yours. :laughing:

Cindy

otter
October 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Beautiful :thumbs up (unless you are a fish of course :eek:)

krdahmer
October 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Man that is one lanky bird, I've seen them from afar, but never up that close! I bet your fish were scarce this afternoon! :eek:

rainbow
October 11th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Beautiful bird and great pics. :cloud9:

Would he be deterred from landing in your yard if you left a portable radio turned on out there? Some of our neighbours do that to keep the bears away from their grapes. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 11th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Cool pics :thumbs up those are neat looking birds :cool: