Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sooo I fractured my foot?!?!

kathryn
October 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Haha :wall:

So earlier today I was doing stuff around the house. I went and sat on the sofa for a few minutes. I decided I wanted to go look out the window. Instead of walking around the coffee table, I tried hopping over it. The reason was there was stuff in the way and I step over the coffee table all the time, it's not rocket science. Well today I tripped.

So... Yeah my left foot was mid air over the table okay, and my right foot was already over the table and on the ground. I went forward and my left foot just slammed into the table so hard it went ccraccck.

I'm glad that I didn't fall forward anymore that I would have hit my face into something or broken a wrist. I mean, my foot hurts terribly bad.. but I would have been awful upset if I smashed my face into the floor.

It was I guess a lucky thing that I already had an orthopedic doctor appt. for 3:00 today. So I got there and we did our usual talk and I was like.. oh yeah I hurt my toe and she checked it out and told me it was probably broken.. and sent me for xrays.

The whole x-ray thing was terribly confusing. They took it then made me sit there for 25 minutes and I was like... okay.. then they called us (me and my mom) into some other room and apparently instead of just telling us what was wrong, they had emailed the x-rays to my orthopedic doctors office, and she wasn't there anymore so they had another doctor look into it, and they were telling my mom a whole bunch of things and she got all confused. But, they said I fractured the left side of my left foot and they can't put a cast on it but I need to get one of those ugly shoe things :yell:

HAHA Okay now since I know alot of mom's are on this board you all get to come in here and yell at me for being careless (but then give me lots of hugs afterwards:D)
:loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser:: loser::loser::loser:

BusterBoo
October 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
As a Mom (and grandma) I will tell you to be more careful! :D Having said that, I will also say that I am sooooo sorry you hurt your foot and I am sure your Mom will look after you, cus that's what us Moms do!

Hope you have something for the pain and PLLLLEEEAAASSSSEEEE.... WALK AROUND THE TABLE! :grouphug:

14+kitties
October 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ouchie!!!! :grouphug:

kathryn
October 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
As soon as I got in the door, I bumped my foot, then Tripod stepped on it TWICE!!! Arrgh.

So it's all swollen again =x niceee and purple :o

I really don't even know what tripped me up. It wasn't like I was bunny hopping over the table. And, it's a short and not very wide table either.

I want to know how long before it's better! I've got things to do. I don't want to make it any worse. I have no idea how it's going to heal. It's broken in such an odd spot. I basically fractured it down the side from what I understand but I can see on the x-rays that I broke my toe almost completely off :eek: It's hanging on by a little bit.

But I'm no doctor.. but it don't look good :shrug:

dogcatharmony
October 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
owwwie, owwwie .......owwwwie!!!

Don't know about broken bones in the foot, but I am just recovering from a broken elbow and it's been almost four months. Two months for the bone to heal and then two months of physio to get everything working right again.

Ohhh, I wish you luck on your recovery and hope it doesn't hurt too much!!

clm
October 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
That's gotta hurt. :grouphug: I have no idea how long it'll take to heal, but I hope it starts to feel better soon.

Cindy

aslan
October 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
hey kathryn, i've done pretty much exactly what you've done, and i've done it to both feet:loser:. depending on how much you rest it and if the bones are inplace mine took between 4 to 6 weeks to heal.

kathryn
October 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
hey kathryn, i've done pretty much exactly what you've done, and i've done it to both feet:loser:. depending on how much you rest it and if the bones are inplace mine took between 4 to 6 weeks to heal.

Argh. Well the thing was I was not told what to do at all. I wasn't told to stay off it. The only thing my mom got out of the lady on the other end of the phone was to get one of those ugly shoes. But that's it. Soo... I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

There is a funny colored bruise right over the spot where the big crack in the bone is. Lovely. So.. I'm hobbling around but I'm in bed for the night now. :confused:

They didn't give me crutches or anything :shrug:

aslan
October 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
i think the ugly shoe you're talking about is called an air cast, kinda looks like a ski boot. if you haven't got it yet, ice your foot for a little bit for the bruise and swelling. then lightly wrap it in a tensor bandage.

ancientgirl
October 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I've never fractured my foot per say, but I've twisted both my ankles very badly on several occasions when I was in my early 20's, and I feel for you. It hurts like hell.

krdahmer
October 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Oh no! Ellen makes it look so easy.... :rolleyes::laughing: Well at least you have a terrible fall story to tell everyone! I did that to my foot the night before I had to sing a solo in the school musical and all I did was walk down the stairs... no fall, no near facial disfiguration, just plain old walking injury:loser:! I was on crutches too.... so I started making up really cool stories of how I did it.... like you could say you did it jumping into a ravine to save a kid or something... lol. :rolleyes:

Hope it heals fast and isn't too sore! :goodvibes:

Frenchy
October 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not a mom but still ....

http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/11.gif

:laughing: be careful hun ! :grouphug:

kathryn
October 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
LOL I'll be okay everyone. I'm surprised I didn't break the coffee table.

I'm a bit upset at my mothers attitude. She was trying to get me to do chores around the house. I was like.. umm hello I just broke my foot and already hurt it 3 times since i got home I want to take a break. What got me the most upset was I had hung my sheets out to dry much much earlier today before any of this happened. She told me to go get them and bring them in. I explained my foot hurt (duh LOL) and I didn't really want to try and get the sheets off the line. So she went and did it. I figured she would make my bed for me so when I got out of the shower I could go right to bed and put my foot up. I got into my room and they were just in a big pile on my bed :frustrated:

I mean, I am fairly independent and do stuff myself... but would it really have bothered her that much to make my bed for me?

I didn't want to try and do it myself because I knew I would end up banging my foot, so I just chucked the clean sheets in a laundry basket and am sleeping on the mattress with a blanket I found and 2 pillow-case-less pillows.

Haha, sorryyyy long whinyyyyy rant but really that just made me so upset! She was in her room watching TV and ugh she could have taken 5 minutes and fixed my bed up for me but noooo. Ahhhh oh well though.

Night everyone. I'm going to use Buddy as a footrest and see how long he puts up with it :laughing: And hope to hear back from the doctor tomorrow.

Spatx
October 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ouch, I hope it heals quickly! I've never broken my foot, but in the Spring I did fracture my thumb. They put me in a cast around my hand up to my elbow :eek: I had to wear it for 6 weeks, then had a brace for a few more weeks while doing physio and strength training. I couldn't work until it was better because of the nature of my work. I'm so glad its over with though.

Hogansma
October 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ohhh, I know that must hurt. I broke 2 ankle bones while on holidays in Rome in May and tore lots of ligaments. Had the plaster cast, crutches and wheelchair. The air cast is wayyyyy better!! It's not pretty but at least you can bathe. I was no weight bearing for 6 loooong weeks and am still in physio. Is it your left or right? Can you still drive?

Hope you heal fast and physio can make all the difference in the world. Remember RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation

Get well soon.

kathryn
October 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Ohhh, I know that must hurt. I broke 2 ankle bones while on holidays in Rome in May and tore lots of ligaments. Had the plaster cast, crutches and wheelchair. The air cast is wayyyyy better!! It's not pretty but at least you can bathe. I was no weight bearing for 6 loooong weeks and am still in physio. Is it your left or right? Can you still drive?

Hope you heal fast and physio can make all the difference in the world. Remember RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation

Get well soon.

Yikes! What's an air cast?? It's my left foot luckily I guess. I go for my driving test this Friday :eek:

My mom had to leave work early today to take me up to the orthopedic doctor. Her other office is in the next county so it's a bit of a hike. Ummm well it's a spiral fracture of all things. It's really bad too. I asked her to help me wrap it to keep everything inline. She gave me a bunch of gauze and medical tape.

My toes kept curling UNDER MY FOOT :yuck: and so I have to wrap them and tape them so that stops happening. They were jammed and swollen. The dr. isn't really sure why they were curling under but she seemed concearned about it.

Well, still no crutches. Gotta go get a special shoe tomorrow. I feel better now that it's wrapped properly :D

Love4himies
October 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM
OUCH!! No more jumping over the coffee table, :crazy: girl! Hope your foot will feel better with that high fashion boot :grouphug: