Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Planning a vacation (but leaving the cats at home)

Joeyjoejoe
October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
So I'm taking a 2 week vacation soon and my two cats will be home alone. I was fortunate enough that some friends that live near by are going to help me out. They agreed to come by a feed them and clean the litter box twice every day. Besides giving my friends the vet's number (and animal hospital's number) in case of emergency, is there anything else I should plan for?

krdahmer
October 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Make sure one of those is an emergency vet's number.... and do your guys wear collars or are they microchipped? In case they happen to sneak out? (you never know when they might dart around someone's feet, especially if they are out of sorts due to change.) I have all of our emergency numbers as well as my family's numbers registered with our microchip company in case we can't be reached so that someone they know can go get them for us. Oh and make sure you have lots of food, my guys tend to eat more when I'm away and as such I ran out of food while I was on vacation (my parents knew where to get it). And have you made arrangements at the vet should they need to go on how to pay? Like pre-arranged payment or on credit? Some emergency places insist on payment first, before they will see the animal (:frustrated: which I think is terrible).

You should see the lists I leave for my cat sitters:rolleyes::o.... Oh ya and don't forget all emergency numbers for gas/hydro/etc.... I always put a sticker right on the back of the phone so that when in panick mode no one has to think too hard or search for numbers.... other than that, sticker on a door or front window for fire/rescue for how many pets (I even put what they look like & where they like to hide on the back just inside the door).... and make sure to leave something that smells like you (a recently worn shirt or sweater) near their favorite sleepy spots. (It's comforting to them.)

Oh and have fun on your vacation! ;) :D

sugarcatmom
October 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Great advice, krdahmer. Also, make sure the sitters know where you keep the cat carriers in case they need them in an emergency.

I'm also going on vacation next week (for 3 weeks!). It's a huge deal for me since my kitty is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day. I have the best MIL in the world and she actually lives at my house while hubby and I are gone and dotes on Aztec's every need (of which there are a plenty!). She's pretty much the only person on the planet that I trust enough to look after him so we work our vacation schedule around her availability.

Have a great trip!!

otter
October 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Have a great trip! :thumbs up

krdahmer and sugarcatmom pretty much covered it all :thumbs up They have the BEST advice :goodvibes:

One thing I do is get tags with the phone number of the person caring for my pets on it - so if someone picks them up they aren't leaving messages for you that you'll not get, they need to be calling the person who is looking after your pets instead. I guess if you have a cell number it's not such a big deal.

Leave extra litter too - things sometimes get a bit "messy" when you are away, cause of stress and they might need to dump the whole litter box a couple of extra times.

A bit of catnip hidden around the house doesn't hurt to keep kitties happy...

Are you going somewhere your cat sitters can call you if there is trouble? If not I left a number of another "cat" person (i.e. someone who knows lots about cats and who knows my cats) so they could call for advice if something was "off" and it wasn't a vet matter. For questions like "do I need to worry if the cats are meowing at me all the time?" (that was the call my cat person got when I was away :D - answer: "no, they probably are just "asking" you for some belly rubs :lovestruck:")

otter
October 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Great advice, krdahmer. Also, make sure the sitters know where you keep the cat carriers in case they need them in an emergency.

I'm also going on vacation next week (for 3 weeks!). It's a huge deal for me since my kitty is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day. I have the best MIL in the world and she actually lives at my house while hubby and I are gone and dotes on Aztec's every need (of which there are a plenty!). She's pretty much the only person on the planet that I trust enough to look after him so we work our vacation schedule around her availability.

Have a great trip!!

Sugarcatmom - you have a great trip tooo!! :thumbs up

Lucky Aztec to have such a good caregiver in your absence :cloud9:

chico2
October 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Yes,we too are going away for a couple of weeks soon,luckily I have my youngest son to stay here for the duration and he loves our cats.
Otherwise I would not go anywhere:cat:

14+kitties
October 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
No advice. Just have lots of fun on your trips guy and gals. :grouphug: to you all for worrying so much about your little ones while you are gone.

Joeyjoejoe
October 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Make sure one of those is an emergency vet's number.... and do your guys wear collars or are they microchipped? In case they happen to sneak out? (you never know when they might dart around someone's feet, especially if they are out of sorts due to change.) I have all of our emergency numbers as well as my family's numbers registered with our microchip company in case we can't be reached so that someone they know can go get them for us. Oh and make sure you have lots of food, my guys tend to eat more when I'm away and as such I ran out of food while I was on vacation (my parents knew where to get it). And have you made arrangements at the vet should they need to go on how to pay? Like pre-arranged payment or on credit? Some emergency places insist on payment first, before they will see the animal (:frustrated: which I think is terrible).

You should see the lists I leave for my cat sitters:rolleyes::o.... Oh ya and don't forget all emergency numbers for gas/hydro/etc.... I always put a sticker right on the back of the phone so that when in panick mode no one has to think too hard or search for numbers.... other than that, sticker on a door or front window for fire/rescue for how many pets (I even put what they look like & where they like to hide on the back just inside the door).... and make sure to leave something that smells like you (a recently worn shirt or sweater) near their favorite sleepy spots. (It's comforting to them.)

Oh and have fun on your vacation! ;) :D

I live in a condo, so odds are if they get out, it's only into the hallway. But I told my friends to make sure the coast is clear before opening the door. They live in the condo next to mine and it's run by the same company, so all the emergency numbers are the same. My friends and I make decent livings, so whatever the vet bill is, they should have no problems paying for it right away. And I won't have any problems paying them back right away.

Yeah, I'm making sure the food supply is ample (even getting bigger bowls). I'm trying to transition them from 3 meals a day to 2. They normally get fed at 7am and 7pm with a half meal at midnight. Those midnight meals stop the 4am wake up calls.

That's a good idea leaving around some clothes. They sleep on my jacket all the time. I would do the sticker on the door, but condo rules forbid it.

Have a great trip! :thumbs up

krdahmer and sugarcatmom pretty much covered it all :thumbs up They have the BEST advice :goodvibes:

One thing I do is get tags with the phone number of the person caring for my pets on it - so if someone picks them up they aren't leaving messages for you that you'll not get, they need to be calling the person who is looking after your pets instead. I guess if you have a cell number it's not such a big deal.

Leave extra litter too - things sometimes get a bit "messy" when you are away, cause of stress and they might need to dump the whole litter box a couple of extra times.

A bit of catnip hidden around the house doesn't hurt to keep kitties happy...

Are you going somewhere your cat sitters can call you if there is trouble? If not I left a number of another "cat" person (i.e. someone who knows lots about cats and who knows my cats) so they could call for advice if something was "off" and it wasn't a vet matter. For questions like "do I need to worry if the cats are meowing at me all the time?" (that was the call my cat person got when I was away :D - answer: "no, they probably are just "asking" you for some belly rubs :lovestruck:")

My cats only react to catnip when I take it out of the package. If it sits there, then they won't touch it. Maybe fresh catnip will work better...

Basically, my cousin (and best friend) is moving to Vancouver permanently and since shipping all his stuff across Canada is too pricey, we are going on a cross country road trip. We have done many epic road trips in the past, so this is kinda like a last hurrah... also the longest. Then I'll stay for a few days and take a flight back.

I'll have my phone on me and they can text me any time. Or call if it's an emergency. My friends who are helping me out have never owned pets, but they love my cats. We have mutual friends that can be considered the "crazy cat couple", who can answer most if not all of their questions. I would have just asked the crazy cat couple to look after my cats, but they recently had a baby. It would have been too much to ask for.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice. There's going to be many long stretches on the road where I'll have a lot of time to think and I don't want to worry about my cats.