Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A great blue heron has decided to visit the pond

clm
October 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I love Great Blue Herons, but not around my pond. :eek: The fish have been skittish the past week, so I suspect he's been around regularily. He was about to land in the back yard late yesterday afternoon, hubby was out there with the dogs and I guess he didn't see them until he was almost down, he changed his mind and took back off.
This evening, after dark, hubby goes out with the dogs again and he takes off from the decking around the pond. The decking was wet where he came from and my pot of mares tail that sits on the ledge in the pond was flattened. Of course, that's the favorite spot for all the fish to congregate during the night. The lotus and the white lily plants pads provide them with cover. It's always been the spot where all the fish like to snooze. Great. Fortunately in the colder water and at night they stay close to the bottom, so the heron wouldn't be able to reach them. If it were during the day, good ol Moose would be sunbathing there at the surface.
Of course it took us forever to find a flashlight so I could see if the fish were all accounted for and alright. I was much relieved to see them all, scared but fine.
I hope this fellow is just on his flight south and plans to leave soon. I may have to sit out there hidden with a hose in my hand and blast him a few times so he gets the message.

Cindy

Frenchy
October 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Darn , I thought there was a picture ! I just love those birds , but not in YOUR backyard with the fishes :sad:

14+kitties
October 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
They are a beautiful bird. We have one fly over all the time. But I agree, not in your back yard! :eek:

clm
October 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Darn , I thought there was a picture ! I just love those birds , but not in YOUR backyard with the fishes :sad:

If he comes back during the day, I'll get a pic of him.....just before I give him a good spray with the hose that is. :laughing: Always have trouble with these things this time of year as they migrate south. It's a bad time to get the fish all scared. The fish need to keep eating while it's warm enough since they have a good 4 months or more of fasting ahead of them. I hope their hunger wins out and they'll relax enough to come out and feed this weekend since it supposed to be so nice.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
October 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Is there some way you can keep them from the water, Cindy? Maybe mesh netting that you could temporarily throw over the top?

:goodvibes: that they move south quickly! Poor fishies must be traumatized! :eek:

clm
October 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Is there some way you can keep them from the water, Cindy? Maybe mesh netting that you could temporarily throw over the top?

:goodvibes: that they move south quickly! Poor fishies must be traumatized! :eek:

A lot of ponders, especially the ones with those beautiful gradually sloped aquascape types that herons can wade right into, have to put up a grid of tightly strung fishing line about a foot off the pond surface to keep herons out. Not the most attractive thing to have to look at and a real pain the the butt to do. Not to mention the problems lil Bentley could cause if he managed to get himself tangled up in the stuff. Too dangerous with the dogs for me to chance it.
I've put some big uneven rocks on the deck where he was last seen and where the fish like to congregate, so he won't be able to get back in there. I told hubby I want to put some nice black wrough iron fencing in the corners on the deck and a couple of pole type solar lights there with them. That'll look attractive and keep Mr. Heron out of there at the same time. Now all I have to do is go out and buy the stuff.

Cindy