Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has sores all over

petlady
October 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
My cat Boo has small sores all over his body. He is not scratching anymore than normal and the only change we have had is moving from a basement apartment to a second storey apartment in a new city. He eats Whiskas seafood selections with the soft pockets and gets friskies shredded canned food with Bena fish oil to try and give him more moisture to his coat. He has always had dry skin and the canned food to help, even though he will only eat about a tablespoon or so a day. Help? He still enjoys being brushed to an extent, but then it starts to bother him. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanks.:cat:

Winston
October 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Well if you have checked for fleas and bugs already then I think a visit to the vets in order. Has the food changed recently? did he have the sores before the move? regardless only a vet will really be able to tell you for sure! Cant be really pleasant for the kitty either! they hide their pan rather well!

Good luck and keep us posted..

sugarcatmom
October 9th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I agree that a vet visit is the best idea. Here are the main ingredients:

Ingredients:
Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA/BHT), Natural Poultry Flavor, Wheat Flour, Rice, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, ....Red 3, Ethoxyquin (A Preservative).

Waaaaaaay too many grains, not enough meat. Preserved with both BHA/BHT and ethoxyquin, which have been banned from human food for being potentially carcinogenic. Cats have very little need for carbohydrates (less than 5% of total calories) and this food is probably in the 40% range. Please do your cat a favour and read this link on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/ Then go out and get some good quality canned food. No dry. There are tips for transitioning picky cats on that link.

Let us know what you find out about the sores (although I wouldn't doubt that they're at least partially related to diet).

growler~GateKeeper
October 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I agree the food needs to be changed but also...

Do the sores appear at certain times of the year?
Do they start as small (size of a small pimple without the pus) itchy bumps, then once scratched/bitten are open until they scab and at that point are not really itchy anymore?
Does your cat get vaccinated this time of year?

All of the above applies to my grrl & for years I was never given an answer as to exactly why, or was told it was just the itchies or it was the change in temperature and if really bad the vet would give a cortisone shot. Finally I have a homeopath vet who tells me it is an allergic reaction to the vaccines! :frustrated: If this is also the case with your cat No more vaccines.

kanis
November 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
When I was researching foods for my kittens, I came across these sites. The about.com one is excellent and the hubpages one, though not really scientific, provides some great information.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat_Food_Review

http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/Cat_Food_and_Nutrition.htm

petlady
December 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know that it was the dreaded black mold that was making Boo sick! Not to mention me and the other pets sick. We have since moved and all of us are much better. Boo sores have all cleared up, as have the dogs sores and upset tummies.