Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Happy Dog to Unhappy dog overnight :(

iluvlilly
October 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
My dog Lilly is 4 and 1/2 years old, I have had her since she was 3 months old.
She has always been a very happy dog, never acted the way she acting now.
She is moping around the house, shaking and yelping if you even look at her like you are going to touch her.
At first I thought that Lilly might have broke her leg, sprained it, or even strained it b/c she was not jumping on and off couches and my bed as usual, until I finally gave up and went to the Vet.
The vet fed me some information like she has fleas and she is extremely irritable from being so itchy that is why she is shaking and yelping so much.She has prescribed her with some anti inflammatory medication to help her stop itching.
I am not so sure I believe this, and I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a happy go lucky dog to change overnight??
I am so depressed over her being so depressed... Please help!

Bina
October 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Did the vet do a thorough physical exam, touching and pressing her everywhere on her body?
Were any actual fleas or flea dirt seen on Lilly? Some dogs are very sensitive or even allergic to flea bites.
I hope she is eating and drinking, then about all you can do is wait until tomorrow.

growler~GateKeeper
October 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Was she itchy & scratching alot before today? Like last week for example was she scratching often?

Did the vet do the flea comb test?

She's a beagle I see, so did she pick up anything on a walk? bone, garbage, did she eat something unusual?

Melinda
October 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM
place lilly on a white blanket/towel and give her a combing to see if any fleas or flea dirt falls on the sheet, by any chance did he check her back? run his hands down her spine?...........being she doesn't want to jump on the couch it is possible she's injured herself by doing just that?

iluvlilly
October 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
To all who responded :
Thank you so much for the feed back- I gave her a bath and put front line on her so if it is infact fleas... that will get rid. If not I am bringing her back for bloodwork... ill post again to let you know how its going..
THank you all so much!!:dog: