Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fishy taste in water....!!

Moopy
October 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I feel like I should be standing in front of some kind of support group admitting this....but my 4 yr old Mutt won't stay out of the aquarium water. I don't really know how long this has been going on, but I've caught her doing it off and on over the past few months. She used to be discrete about it (sneaking a drink when I'm not in the room), but now she's all about just helping herself. She always has access to clean fresh water but is tending toward emptying the fish tank. If I had to guess, I would say this started shortly after she delivered a large litter of 12.

What do you think? Is it just her unique taste in water, or is there maybe something in the fish water (minerals maybe?) that she finds tasty.

kathryn
October 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
That's like asking why the dog drinks out of the toilet.... it's a dog :laughing:

Is the tank just an open tank? No way you can cover it with a screen or a lid? I would consider it pretty unhealthy for a dog to drink aquarium water. Who knows what is in there... not clean at all.

want4rain
October 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
meh, my dog use to do that all the time with my water change water. im not so sure there is anything in fish water (parasite, bacteria etc) thats dangerous BUT i wasnt willing to take the chance.

-ashley

krdahmer
October 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
My cat Smoke was doing that, drinking the tank water for quite some time, so I covered the spots that the lid didn't with duct tape until she gave up and quit trying.

Moopy
October 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
krdahmer " My cat Smoke was doing that, drinking the tank water for quite some time, so I covered the spots that the lid didn't with duct tape until she gave up and quit trying. "

I guess I'm going to have to try this out before the poor fish get lapped up.

Thanks!

Soter
October 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
:laughing::D

Never heard of a dog doing that before!!

I would personally cover it, anything could be in the water :sick:

and it is probably a bad habit for your dog to get into, one by one your fish could start dissapearing, and your dog would have very fishy breath!:):D

><>

downloader
October 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
get your dog a pet fountain. Animals like moving, cool water. I got one with a big tank in the back its good for over a week with 2 dogs, just google dog water fountain.