Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat...tried to attack my son!

jetpowered
October 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have a 14month old little boy, he loves his "kitty" always playing with him and the cat has never seemed to mind up untill today.....I was having a shower with my son and out of nowhere the cat launched himself into the tub(he's normally terrified of water) and was trying as hard as he could to get at my son...hissing and making noises i've never heard out of him...my wife came in and grabbed the cat by the tail and threw him out of the tub...he immediately tried to get back into the tub....we managed to get him out of the bathroom and slammed the door...he then started scratching the door and growling trying to get back in....when i went out i had to physically hit him and push him into the bedroom where he still is now....

I've had this cat for years and he's always been the biggest suck in the world ...untill today anyway. I really dont want to get rid of him but this cant happen again!

Any suggestions welcome...proffesional ones encouraged!!!

PS. the cat is 5 years old

badger
October 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Wow, I can't imagine what would set him off. I think I'd take him to the vet for a once-over, in case it's something physical, doesn't sound like it but I wouldn't rule it out.
Have there have been any changes in his routine, stray cats hanging around your house, an encounter with a dog? It could be some kind of deferred aggression, where he's freaked out about something else and your son, for some unknown reason, took the hit. But to risk falling in the water he would have to be plenty mad.
Hmmm. Of course, you'll be watching him closely from now on. Don't treat him any differently, that will only add to the problem.
But start at the vet, particularly if he seems off in other ways.

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I can't see a cat who has formerly been a sweetheart of a kitty around a baby suddenly acting out for no reason. I second badger's idea. Take him to the vet to rule out any health issues. Also, her idea of something has happened to him outside of the ordinary is right on.
Other than that........ anything different, is there something else new in the house; not necessarily animal, have things been moved around, litter box changed location, etc. Yes, it can be as simple as that. How is your son's health?
Let us know how it goes.

Tundra_Queen
October 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Is this the first time the cat has seen your son in the shower with u?

Maybe he thought that you were in danger from you son, seeing as he was in the water with u?

I sure hope u can figure out what is wrong.

Debbie

BrightEyes
October 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing as TQ...only the other way around. Were you holding your son in the shower? How was she trying to "get to your son"? Your legs must be shredded, owie. She may have been trying to protect your son, if this is the first she has seen you two in the shower, thinking you were doing something to hurt him. Just a thought.

jetpowered
October 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
This is the first time my cat (Leon) has ever shown any aggression.....usually when i'm in the shower he sits on the edge of the tub and he has always done the same when my son is in the shower with me never with any problems....right now he's curled up on my lap sleeping...seems absolutely normal now...although i kept him in a separate room untill my son went to bed so we'll see how he is in the morning.

growler~GateKeeper
October 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I think your first step should be the vets for a full blood panel especially a T4 Thyroid hormone level check. If the Thryroid level is high it can cause aggression as well as other symptoms: night meowing, restlessness, nervousness, weight loss despite great appetite, easily upset, occasionally vomiting, excessive thirst, bad looking/ill groomed coat, lethargy etc.

Even if the T4 checks out okay there may be something else that shows up on the blood test, this will give you a starting point.

kathryn
October 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Maybe he wasn't actually going after you. He could have been trying to attack the water. I would think it would make more sense he was trying to attack all the water droplets because he thought they were bad or something.

chico2
October 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I've had 4 bad experiences with one of my cats(12yrs old),who is really a wonderful cat.
A crazed cat is probably as scary as anything I've ever encountered.
However,my cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and is now on meds,so far so good.
It is possible your cat saw another cat outside,that's why my cat went ballistic on my legs and I now know what too look for.
The cat is as frightened and upset as you are,it's hard to explain,you also have a little one to consider,but please don't rush to get rid of him because of this really bad episode.
Everyone told me to have my cat put down for the damage he did to me,but it never was an option for me.
A vet visit should be the start,with a bloodtest:cat:

Love4himies
October 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I had a cat, Snowball who would randomly attack but would never think to get rid of him, the difference between Snowball and your kitty, is Snowball did this from the time he was a kitten.

I really think getting a full panel bloodwork done to see if there was a medical reason for the attack.

kanis
October 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM
My Ares was nasty when his hyperthyroid was undiagnosed. Once the medication kicked in, he was as sweet as can be. Get the kitty checked.

catlover2
October 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
All the above advice is good, especially to have a vet check and blood tested for a thyroid condition.

Just another thought. This is type of behaviour is very serious, as a cat can do a lot of damage with bites & scratches that can result in serious infection. Always wash immediately with antibacterial soap and water and apply some Polysporin on the scratch/bite.
Has your 5 y.o. cat been neutered? Sometimes whole males will suddenly turn like that. I was a longtime breeder and I had one 11 month cat that attacked me with vicious aggression just out of the blue one day, when up to that point had been very sweet. He was a young stud cat, and at the time I did not have any females. I think it was pent-up sexual frustration. At the time it upset me very much as I had never heard of such a thing, but other breeders confirmed that kind of explosive behaviour wasn't that rare, and seemed to be more prevalent with the "oriental" type breeds, such as Siamese.