Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

loss of feeling in hind legs

mimpuff
October 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hello,
My co-worker has a 14 month old pittbull who yesterday lost the feeling in his hind legs, he rushed him to the vet but only took an x-ray and said it could be a neurological virus cus they couldnt find anything wrong with him, he doesnt yelp and looks alert, the vet gave him some meds, then he scheduled him for an MRI..the MRI is scheduled for today, im hoping they find out what it is, i went online to see if i could find similar cases as to what the little guy might have. i found poyradiculoneuritis, tick paralysis, botulism and maybe myasthenia gravis. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it might be.

kathryn
October 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
If there were no signs of trauma it would really be a neurological thing. It really could be *anything* though. I had found a crippled kitten and it turned out his spine was broken (he was euthanized a few weeks ago because he had FeLV).

Um, is the dog walking or what? How did the owners know it didn't have any feeling?

mimpuff
October 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
In the morning he noticed his dog was dragging his body, instead of walking on all fours.. so he checked him to see if his back hurt i guess to look for injuries but his dog doesnt cry. he even wagged his tail and was basically normal except for the fact that his hind legs have no strength, but they are not completely paralysed he moves his little paws but cant hold up his weight.

bendyfoot
October 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Well, the tail wagging is a good sign. If it's neurological or something to do with a disk, the xray likely won't show anything, I'm glad they're pursuing the MRI. Most of the conditions I'm thinking of typically don't strike dogs that young...sorry to hear about the poor little guy, I hope he recovers.

mimpuff
October 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
after the medication was given to the puppy. there appeared to be blood in his stool. the medication given to him is some kind of steroid, is this normal?

bendyfoot
October 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Giving steroids in conjunction with paralysis is normal, yes. As for blood in the stool, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that stomach upset can be common depending on the medication. She should check with the vet. how's the pup today.