Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Teeth Extraction cost

George61
October 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
We recently looked into having one of our dog's teeth extracted at a local Vet Clinic in Pierrefonds, the cost for cleaning, anesthesia and tooth extraction was $1,100. My wife went to a local vet in Howick, Quebec for a second opinion and they were charging $235 for the same thing. We had one of our other dogs teeth extracted there as well. Is there a organization such as Dentists have that regulate Fee's that Vet's charge?

pitgrrl
October 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I recently had a full cleaning and extraction done on one of my dogs, including anesthesia, pre-op bloodwork, iv.... cost about $300.
This was at the Clinic Veterinaire du Plateau.

bendyfoot
October 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
300 or 235 seems REALLY good to me!!! You have to consider that they're getting pre-operative blood work (most of the time?), the anesthesia (including the medication, monitoring, intubation etc.), the surgical tools, IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication, boarding/hospitalization, and at least one vet and one technician's time to do the procedures. A lot more goes on there than you'd think.

Guinness' mom
October 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I do not believe that vet's have a suggested fee guide...but even with dentists that have a "suggested fee guide" they do not have to follow that as long as they charge each patient the same. I have noticed a big difference in fee's between vet's in my area. It is really upsetting. I had one vet tell me when Guinness was a pup that I should extract all his primary canine teeth because the permanant ones were growing in behind and if I didn't do it RIGHT AWAY He was not going to be able to close his mouth. Their fee for this was about $500.00. I ended up going to the pet store bought a tug of war chew toy and a big knoty bone and we had all 4 baby teeth out over the weekend.
I think she thought I was a chump!!!!!! :frustrated: