Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My "letter" to the editor.

14+kitties
October 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I had a day off today. In between cleaning and shopping this is what I wrote. It is being sent as soon as you guys and gals let me know what you think.

For all of the cats and dogs who have been dumped uncaringly by the side of the road to fend for themselves.
It’s time to change some laws.

An Unwanted Pet’s Lament

Life is harsh out there.
Did you know? Did you care?
You picked me up in your arms
And took me in your car
To a place so near to you
And yet so very far.
Life is harsh out there.

You took me to the country
You said “you will find a space.”
You left me in a ditch
By some farmers place.
You left without a glance
Life is harsh out there.

The farmer didn’t take me.
His barn was already full.
I guess there are others like you.
Who really just don’t see
that…..life is harsh out there.

And so my life began
Searching for a shelter safe
From the cold and from the rain
Searching for a little food
And running from the dangers.
Life is harsh out there.

kandy
October 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well, it made me cry! I hope people take notice.

mona_b
October 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

That is sooooooooo BEAUTIFUL.

The words say it all mf.

14+kitties
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks kandy. I am hoping maybe it will open an eye or two. But first it has to be published.

Thanks Ms. Mona mf. :grouphug: Do you think the Spec will publish it? They are one paper I was going to try to send it to.

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Very sad, 14+ :cry: Beautifully written :thumbs up

I hope you can get it published. Maybe it will open some eyes! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Oh 14+ that is beautiful :cry: I think it may open somebody's eyes and think twice before they dump their pet.

Can I share it with a coworker?

chico2
October 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
14+,that is beautiful 14+,it says it all,not a dry eye here:lovestruck:
It reminds me of the song "Memories" from the musical Cats I always cry hearing it:pawprint:

Hopefully the Spec or even the Star will publish it,the problem is the election and the market,seems to be the only thing on peoples mind these days:yell:

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks hazel, L4H and Chico. I cried while I was writing it. So silly. :cry:

L4H, please feel free to share it with whoever you want to. In fact, send it to your newspaper if you'd like to. The more people that get the point the better, right?

:grouphug: Chico. I would send it to the paper with a blurb saying with the upcoming election it's time we make cruelty laws stronger, charge people for dumping, start more low cost s/n clinics, etc. But I'm preaching to the choir. We all know that.

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
My co worker also volunteers for the Gananoque HS and may have some connections to have it put it on their website with your permission. If you do, would you like your name credited to the writing?

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
That's sweet L4H! As for crediting my name... You can use my first name or just leave it author unknown. It doesn't matter if I get props for writing it. Only that it gets out there. :grouphug: Thank you!!!

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
OK, but I don't know your first name :o, you can PM me if you wish.

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Darn, thought everyone knew that. :o It's Gerri. Sorry mf. :o

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/keasfurfamily/fuzzy-tales/october-2008

http://www.gananoquereporter.com/Community/

http://gan-humane-society.blogspot.com/

http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/sharebook/352793899?share_type=blog (Not sure if she can access this page.)

She knows all the rescues that you have done and thinks you are an :angel:

Chris21711
October 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Nicely written 14k, even if it just makes 1 person stop and think would be a reward in itself. Kudos to you for taking the time :thumbs up

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
[url]
She knows all the rescues that you have done and thinks you are an :angel:

Amazing L4H!!!! Just amazing that your friend got that up so quickly!!! Give her a huge hug for me please!!!! :grouphug: WOW!!!
I don't think I'm an angel. Just trying to do my part like a lot of you guys on here. Nothing angelic about that. It just needs to be done. :shrug:

Is she the one who helped you rescue Matilda and Malcolm? If so, give her another hug! :thumbs up

Nicely written 14k, even if it just makes 1 person stop and think would be a reward in itself. Kudos to you for taking the time :thumbs up

Thanks Chris mf. That's what I was thinking too. Let's hope it helps that one person soon. :fingerscr

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Amazing L4H!!!! Just amazing that your friend got that up so quickly!!! Give her a huge hug for me please!!!! :grouphug: WOW!!!
I don't think I'm an angel. Just trying to do my part like a lot of you guys on here. Nothing angelic about that. It just needs to be done. :shrug:

Is she the one who helped you rescue Matilda and Malcolm? If so, give her another hug! :thumbs up
Yes she is the one. The first website in my post is her personal one. If we ever win the lottery, we are opening up a cat rescue

Thanks Chris mf. That's what I was thinking too. Let's hope it helps that one person soon. :fingerscr
:fingerscr :pray: that it does.

krdahmer
October 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wow published already! Nice one Gerri & L4H... the more people that read that the better! :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM
She has asked it to be published with the OSPCA newsletter, but she doesn't know if there will be any copyright issues. Oh and her Facebook site.

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
She has asked it to be published with the OSPCA newsletter, but she doesn't know if there will be any copyright issues. Oh and her Facebook site.

No copyright issues from my end. I wrote it. I am giving her permission to use it wherever she thinks it will do some good. :thumbs up

Melinda
October 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
that is beautiful, I wish I could post it bulletin board size at the end of our road................

Jim Hall
October 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM
excellent!!1 Much better than mine

Hey ssoulless A$$hat, you left you little pet to die slowly unless its lucky and get's run over or finds someone who has a soul

you cluless yahoo

But hey im from jersey so...

phoozles
October 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Great job 14+ ! :thumbs up

Winston
October 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Jim you make me laugh! I couldnt have put it any better!

14+ Awesome as usual!

Cindy

chico2
October 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
L4H,14+,this is just great,a :grouphug:from me to,for that wonderful lady!
I once wrote a letter to the editor at the Toronto Star,about a neighbor kid who shot a mama Robin with a pelletgun:evil:and they published it!

Maybe they would yours too Gerri,because this is a huge problem,not everyone in the country cares as much as you and many of these cats die a lonely horrible death.
Lately though,it's been all about politics and the market:yell:who cares about little abandoned cats:sad:

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
L4H,14+,this is just great,a :grouphug:from me to,for that wonderful lady!
I once wrote a letter to the editor at the Toronto Star,about a neighbor kid who shot a mama Robin with a pelletgun:evil:and they published it!

Maybe they would yours too Gerri,because this is a huge problem,not everyone in the country cares as much as you and many of these cats die a lonely horrible death.
Lately though,it's been all about politics and the market:yell:who cares about little abandoned cats:sad:

I am hoping Chico. :fingerscr I have had letters published before but that was years ago.
I am still looking for an email addy for Hamilton Spectator. I sent it to the Toronto Star and the Sun by email. The Sun came back for some reason. :shrug: I will also try the small papers around here. Maybe some of the "dumpees" will actually read it.
I put a blurb at the top of the letter pointing out to people it's time to make our lawmakers sit up and change laws. Now is a good time to do it in an election year.

Just want to say....... If anyone wants to use this to send to their own papers feel free to do so.

mona_b
October 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
:grouphug: Chico. I would send it to the paper with a blurb saying with the upcoming election it's time we make cruelty laws stronger, charge people for dumping, start more low cost s/n clinics, etc.

GREAT idea.........:highfive:

Here is an email addy for you.

http://www.thespec.com/article/229246

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
:highfive: Mona!!Thank you! I really appreciate this. Don't know why I couldn't find that. :frustrated:

It is sent. Now let's see if it helps. :fingerscr

:thankyou: my friend!!

mona_b
October 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Anytime mf....;)

Don't worry,it took me a while...:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
October 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM
That's beautiful. :cry:

Frenchy
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
excellent!!1 Much better than mine

Hey ssoulless A$$hat, you left you little pet to die slowly unless its lucky and get's run over or finds someone who has a soul

you cluless yahoo

But hey im from jersey so...

:laughing: sounds like mine too :thumbs up

14+ , it's beautiful , my Bailey was one of those pets. :sad: that's probably why he doesn't like car rides. :sad:

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess I have the seal of approval. It has been sent via email to a few papers. Now I guess I wait to see if it's published. L4H and her friend are amazing! I am going to take a copy to my vets and see if he will post it. I am sure he will. I spend enough mone there. :rolleyes:

I have a short story.....well, maybe long. :D
One of my hubby's customers was here today with his pup; a Rottie/English Mastiff mix that they were told was a "breed". He was quite upset a while back when I told him she wasn't a breed, she was a mix. He said they told him she was a pure bred. They paid something like $1500 for her.
Anyway, she is gorgeous! 8 months old, 100 lbs and brindle! Beautiful. I was making a fuss over her and he says.... I want to breed her once. Well.. that stopped me cold. I asked why. He said he had friends who wanted one of her pups. :headslap:
I flat out told him that by him breeding his dog he sentenced 4 to 8 dogs to death. Dogs that could have been adopted if Isis hadn't had pups. I asked him what happened in a year when the pups became full grown dogs and were eating the owners out of house and home and misbehaving because they hadn't been raised properly. Were the owners going to keep trying or were they going to take the dogs to the shelter thereby adding to the already horrendous problem.
We talked for another 5 minutes or so. By the time he left he said I was probably right! :thumbs up His wife really doesn't want to breed Isis anyway. Now let's hope he really means what he says!!

Frenchy
October 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
We talked for another 5 minutes or so. By the time he left he said I was probably right! :thumbs up His wife really doesn't want to breed Isis anyway. Now let's hope he really means what he says!!

You can also tell him that an emergency c-section costs about $2000.00 !!! And if his dog doesn't feed the pups , HE will have to do it by himself for a couple of weeks , every 3-4 hours.

14+kitties
October 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM
That wouldn't matter with him though Frenchy. He always talks like he's got more money than he knows what to do with. He's a little off the wall. Now if you told him that his dog could die giving birth.....that might get him. I am hoping he will listen to his wife this time.

The biggest thing he said was that you don't find dogs like his in shelters. I told him to look around at different ones. He may be very surprised at the purebreds and mixes that are there. :sad:

Soter
October 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I hope people take notice.

People had BETTER take notice... It was brilliant! Get it published, its wonderful, and very (sadly) true. Maybe someone will stop and think

rainbow
October 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
14+, beautiful poem. :thumbs up

As far a your hubby's friend send him these websites....

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
14+, beautiful poem. :thumbs up

As far a your hubby's friend send him these websites....

Thanks soter and rainbow.
Rainbow - he's not exactly what I would call a friend. He is a customer. He's been here twice to drop off stuff for hubby to work on and picked it up later. I don't know if he has a computer or not. If I happen to see him again I will pass on the sites. They didn't open for me. Thanks for them though. I will try again tomorrow. :thumbs up

rainbow
October 14th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I just checked and they didn't open for me either :confused: .....I'll check into it. :o

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I just checked and they didn't open for me either :confused: .....I'll check into it. :o

Thanks! Sounds like they may be good sites for educational reading. :thumbs up But not tonight. I need to go find my bed. Work tomorrow. :yuck:

rainbow
October 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I can't even access their main page now.....maybe there is a temporary glitch so I'll try again later. :shrug: