Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best Vacuum Ever??

luckypenny
October 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I just remembered I have to buy a vacuum this week for our new house :eek:. We have central vac now and it's not coming with us...I abhor it :yuck:!!

Mainly ceramic and some hardwood floors with one or two area rugs. Three heavy shedders sharing our quarters so I need attachments for sofas and mattresses.

It can't be too heavy though :o. I think I'd prefer a canister-type.

Anyone have that perfect vacuum??

mastifflover
October 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The best vacuum is the Dyson animal bar none. Not cheap but worth every penny

krdahmer
October 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I need one too.... we wear them out pretty quick around here vacuuming every other day.... don't have the big $s for the dyson though (although I want the roller ball one). Same set up, tile and laminate... couple of runners and a rug. Can't wait for more suggestions! :thumbs up

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I need a new vaccum and carpet cleaner...I wish there was a two in one!

krdahmer
October 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
BenMax... I have one, it's a Kirby, very expensive and good vacuum, came with the shampoo attachments as well. My husband used to sell them and we inheritted the one he sold to his grandma.... it works awesome especially with the cats, but it's huge and very heavy as it has a motor that pulls it (much like a lawnmower). New they are in the $1000-1500 range, but you can get them on ebay for around $200-300. Personally I hate it, I've run over and bruised my toes one too many times and it makes the house work... well more work, especially if you have to lug it up stairs etc. But I can't deny how well it works. :shrug:

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
BenMax... I have one, it's a Kirby, very expensive and good vacuum, came with the shampoo attachments as well. My husband used to sell them and we inheritted the one he sold to his grandma.... it works awesome especially with the cats, but it's huge and very heavy as it has a motor that pulls it (much like a lawnmower). New they are in the $1000-1500 range, but you can get them on ebay for around $200-300. Personally I hate it, I've run over and bruised my toes one too many times and it makes the house work... well more work, especially if you have to lug it up stairs etc. But I can't deny how well it works. :shrug:

Luckily I am in a condo - 1 floor. Thanks for the information. I go through vaccums like chips. I am a bit of a neat freak because I have so many animals. I also have fosters that are sometimes not toilet trained so I am constantly having the darn rug cleaner plugged in...just in case.

I will look into this. Thanks a million.

bendyfoot
October 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I seriously covet the Dyson...my tiny wimpy little vaccum sucks. Or, er, doesn't. :laughing:

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
DYSON!! All the way!

I have 1 and my old vacuum still works yet Never gets used because of my Dyson.

Seriously,I will show you the differenece I will use the old vacuum a area & then go over the exact same area with my Dson & you should see the stuff that the dyson pulls up. :thumbs up

I would never use another vacuum again.

kandy
October 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I also have the Dyson Animal. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Would not ever buy a different kind now that I have had one. My first one had some glitch with the lever that switches it from hard floors to carpet and I had to send it in. My DH decided that he'd like to have a Dyson for his business too, so I got a new one and he took the old one when it came back from being repaired.

If you do decide to look at a Dyson, make sure you get a new Dyson. Walmart sells refurbished ones, and while they are much cheaper, they don't have the full warranty that the new ones do.

Bina
October 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have an Electrolux canister.....its about 15 yrs old. Great power head for the area rug.
Good filter system.

Stacer
October 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I've heard that the Dysons are fantastic. We just installed a Beam central vac and we frickin' love it!!! I've never had so much sucking power and I love checking out the bin after I've finished, so much animal hair.

Bina
October 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
One of my friends has the Beam central vac....she loves it and has put away her canister vac.
She has 3 large hairy dogs, 1 cat, and a few birds.....lots of hair and feathers and dirt.

dmc123
October 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
We also have a Dyson Animal! Love it, love it! Just got it this year.

I found mine on amazon, refurbished, almost half price - had no issues with it at all.

Good luck,
Diane

krdahmer
October 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've heard that the Dysons are fantastic. We just installed a Beam central vac and we frickin' love it!!! I've never had so much sucking power and I love checking out the bin after I've finished, so much animal hair.

One of my friends has the Beam central vac....she loves it and has put away her canister vac.

My parents love their new Beam central too... they can't get over how much more they are getting out of the carpet and how much easier the hoses and attachments are to maneuver compared to their old CV... the hose on that thing weighed a ton and if heaven forbid you stepped on it, OUCH! (of course I was a teenager and as such had an enormous aversion to cleaning in general!):rolleyes::laughing:

Etown_Chick
October 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
When I die, they can bury me with my electrolux. IT sucks up everything, and the best part is the filter is a micro pore thing so it gets rid of allergens.
Never loses suction, despite what that dyson guy says. It's fantastic. Not cheap tho.

Frenchy
October 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM

And there's a new Dyson ball now ! Almost peed in my pants from excitement and lust when I saw the commercial :laughing:

LP , if you can afford it , Dyson ! :thumbs up

If I ever buy one , I'm marrying it :cloud9:

luckypenny
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM

It's one third the cost I paid for our Electrolux central vac...piece of cr@p :wall:. I have to empty the canister outdoors if I don't want to choke and then I have to get out the shop vac just to vacuum the sponge filter :rolleyes:. The dog hairs can never be cleaned out of it :frustrated:.

The Dyson looks heavy though. I'll swing by Future Shop tomorrow and see if I can test one out.

I have an Electrolux canister.....its about 15 yrs old. Great power head for the area rug.
Good filter system.

That's what we had before the central vacuum. It was 30 years old and my favorite vacuum ever but it started costing too much in repairs :sad:.

wdawson
October 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
LP
i run a carpet cleaning company and the vacuum cleaners we use are heavy duty and are used 3-5 times a day under all conditions.....not one out of the three has ever had a problem....they are $$$$ though.

http://www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com/vacdetails.asp?DBID=986&ID=Windsor+Versamatic+VS14+Commercial+Upright+Vacu um

want4rain
October 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Consumer Report rated my Kenmore Progressive With Direct Drive a way better vacuum for half the price compared to the Dyson Animal. it did better with animal hair and also on hard non-carpet floors AND it was quieter.

i wouldnt pay Dysons prices for anything. i have two friends with them and both think theirs is great.... till i brought mine over.

one draw back- its bagged. skip the 'allergy' bags and shell the cash out for the HEPA ones. big difference.

i am a neurotic vacuumer. i vacuum daily. did a bunch of leg work before purchasing the one we got. if you are interested i can get you the stat difference between what CS reported and the product number of what we got. :)

-ashley

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Well, this experience just confirmed the fact that I hate shopping :yell:.

:o

I settled on the Dyson DC 21 Pink canister model (% of proceeds to support Canadian breast cancer research). Compared to the other Dyson canisters, I found there wasn't much difference other than some fancy attachments I didn't find necessary for us. The sales rep also threw in an allergen kit (some fancy attachments :rolleyes:) for free.

There is no way I'd be able to push around any of the upright models...I found them awkward and heavy and pretty useless seeing we have no carpeting in our home.

I did buy it before we moved and decided to test it against our Electrolux central vac on the carpeting in the basement of our old home. First the Electrolux, then the Dyson over the same rooms. You should have heard the dirt being sucked up and the disgusting dust filled canister when I was done :yuck: :yuck:. I can't believe I use to lay on that floor!

Want4rain, I did find the Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive at Sears. It was on liquidation for 129$ :eek:. I was all excited when I saw it but my hopes were soon dashed as I tried to push it around. Again, way too heavy for me.

All in all, I'm really happy with our purchase. Only minor complaint is I find the handle a little too short...even for a short person :o. The only thing I miss about our central vac is an attachment that goes under tight spaces like the fridge and freezer. Although I still miss our ancient Electrolux canister :candle:, the Dyson is definitely a wonderful replacement.

bendyfoot
December 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
ohhh, thanks for ressurecting this thread, my vac died a few days ago...we're awash in fur already!!!:eek:

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
ohhh, thanks for ressurecting this thread, my vac died a few days ago...we're awash in fur already!!!:eek:

Can you hold off until after the holidays? I bet you might find some sales then.

bendyfoot
December 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
That's a good idea...we've got a shop vac that DW ran downstairs a bit...I think that could tide us over...I'm looking at this one now...

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-S3765-040-WindTunnel-Electronic-Canister/dp/B00008UI0R/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
That's a good idea...we've got a shop vac that DW ran downstairs a bit...I think that could tide us over...I'm looking at this one now...

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-S3765-040-WindTunnel-Electronic-Canister/dp/B00008UI0R/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

After a quick peek, I'm wondering if the hepa filter will easily clog with hair :o.

bendyfoot
December 3rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
HEPAs no good for fur? I really want a bagless model, and ideally a canister, that's good for carpet and hardwood. Ideas?

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I meant to say that the actual filter, because of it's location, looks like it would easily fill/clog with dog hair. It reminds me of the filter on our central where I needed to use our Shop Vac to vacuum the fur off of it then toss it in the washing machine every time we emptied the canister. Too much work after I just vacuumed the entire house :shrug:.

want4rain
December 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
as far as i know vacuums have a prefilter to catch the big stuff and another premotor filter and then the HEPA polishes everything off. ive never actually seen hair in my HEPA. i use to have to empty my canister every time i vacuumed. i vacuumed daily so washed out my sponge filters weekly.... and banged out my HEPA filter once every 2-3 weeks, replaced it every few months. that was in the crummy Bissel we had picked up for $50 from Wal-mart.

sorry uprights are too heavy!! the ones that were lighter seriously compromised on suction. :( i didnt realize you were looking for somethign for hardwoods. how do you like the Dyson canister?

Crystal, youre looking for something for hard floors?? ill look around later tonight (if i dont fall on my nose, sleepy....) and see if i can find my Consumer Report to see which was best for hard floors or canisters and such.

uh... i hope that makes some sense. im feeling a little befuddled.

-ash

krdahmer
December 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Ha funny this thread is back.... I didn't have much to spend so we went to a guy here who refurbishes vacuums and got an electralux... the thing was useless... spewed cat food and dirt out the back at my legs while I tried to vacuum, so I went and took it back, and dropped off the broken kirby :rip:.... then back to the drawing board researching etc. Found one of those sites where people review vacuums and share their opinions and heard about one from bissell that was reasonably priced $200 range that had a beater bar you could turn on and off with your foot (off for bare, on for rugs) and had on board attachments.... so I looked on the web for sales etc, found it at Home Outfitters online for $119 on sale $80 off!, but only for that day, so I ordered it and had it sent to zellers here, figure if it sucked (or rather didn't) I could take it right back. Well it's heavy and slightly akward to maneuver, but it works great on all my laminate and tile... and although I have to stand on the rugs to stop them from being sucked up, I'm happy with it. Still waiting for a house with central... but for now this one is pretty good. FYI! (still also wish it was a dyson...:rolleyes::laughing:)

Karin
December 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
They all suck...

lol!

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
:laughing:

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
They all suck...

lol!

luckypenny
May 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
7 months later and the hose, right near the wand, split on me today (when I really need to get the vacuuming done).

I have to tell you, Dyson's customer service is awesome :thumbs up. Of course I can't find the receipt, and of course, I didn't fill and send in the warranty registration either :loser:.

The person who took my call asked for my address, approximate date I bought the vacuum, where I bought it, and the serial number. She filled the warranty registration for me and said I'd receive a new hose and wand within 7-10 days :highfive:.

Wish I could get the same kind of service at the computer shop :frustrated:.

animaladvocate
May 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I sooo have the PERFECT vacuum. I've had it for four years now and it's handled five rabbits and a dog-daily vacuuming-

-Fur (and lots of it)
-HAY (this is a vacuums mortal enemy)
-Poop (of the rabbit variety)
-Carpet bits
-and all the normal stuff non-pet owners vacuum up.

It has no bag and it comes completely apart to wash all the filters, de-clog and clean in less then five minutes. It's truly truly amazing and if it ever breaks down I'll be buying the exact same one again.

It's the Bissel Bagless Vacuum (not mine but) picutred here:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/kokaneeandkuhluha/7f246a83589b8254f5ceefe5abed-1-3.jpg

BenMax
May 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Got one and LOVE IT!

Luvmypitgirls
May 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Consumer Report rated my Kenmore Progressive With Direct Drive a way better vacuum for half the price compared to the Dyson Animal. it did better with animal hair and also on hard non-carpet floors AND it was quieter.

i wouldnt pay Dysons prices for anything. i have two friends with them and both think theirs is great.... till i brought mine over.

one draw back- its bagged. skip the 'allergy' bags and shell the cash out for the HEPA ones. big difference.

i am a neurotic vacuumer. i vacuum daily. did a bunch of leg work before purchasing the one we got. if you are interested i can get you the stat difference between what CS reported and the product number of what we got. :)

-ashley

The Hoover Windtunnel also got a better rating then the Dyson when it first came out.
I now have the Bissel House and Home, and I love it, it was affordable and it never loses suction either.
The only thing I don't like about it, is it attracts male dogs, Mac is always trying to hump it!:frustrated:

MommaKat
May 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
LOL the other day I had a Filter queen salesman drop by and he gave us a 2 hour presentation on the Filter queen air purifier and the Filter Queen Defender vacuume . Around $3250 for the two of them :eek: . He was good but not that good, we're probably going to get a Bissel .

Edit: Oh but I would love a Dyson if I could afford it, I tried the Dyson ball that Frenchy mentioned in a store and it was so wonderful.

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
So, if you've been saving up for the Dyson canister...spend your money wisely and buy something else :rolleyes:. Today was the third time, in a little over a year, that the hose split and broke open :yell:.

Yes, customer service is great but I need the vacuum today, not in 10 days from now. Add that you have to wait around at home all day for the Purolator guy to show up to return the broken parts, and I'm thinking there's a whole lot more advertising hoopla than this vacuum deserves. I wonder why they haven't come up with a better quality hose yet to replace the cr@ppy ones :confused:.

Adding insult to injury, DH has been gloating all morning that I had to use his brand new 85$ Shop Vac....that I gave him hell for wasting money on...:frustrated:.

So yes, my Dyson does suck, in more ways than one.

I miss my ancient Electrolux :sad:.

bendyfoot
January 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
we saved up for a good vaccum, I had my heart set on a Dyson, but when we got to the vaccum specialty shop, they basically said "save your money" and suggested a Riccar instead. It's been great! It's very powerful, handles a TON of fur, is adjustable ten ways to next week, and has lots of handy on-board attachments. We've been very pleased with it.

rainbow
January 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
LP, thanks for the Dyson update which was a surprise since everyone has always raved about them so much. I have a crappy Kenmore that is over 10 yr old and the hose is repaired with duct tape in two places. I know it's only a matter of time before I need a new one but good to know that I no longer need to consider a Dyson. :D

bendy, I've never heard of a Riccar ....is it a new make? :confused: Is it upright or cannister? How long have you had it? :)

bendyfoot
January 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
It's a cannister...I'm not sure if they make uprights or not (oh, just googled, yes they do). We got it in the spring if I recall correctly. It takes bags, but the bags hold a TON of fur and don't lose suction even when they're super-full. It's a 55-year-old American manufacturer. I'd never heard of them either before we got to the store :shrug:

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
So, if you've been saving up for the Dyson canister...spend your money wisely and buy something else :rolleyes:. Today was the third time, in a little over a year, that the hose split and broke open :yell:.

Complain and ask the company to replace it with the Dyson Ball :cloud9:

rainbow
January 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
It's a cannister...I'm not sure if they make uprights or not (oh, just googled, yes they do). We got it in the spring if I recall correctly. It takes bags, but the bags hold a TON of fur and don't lose suction even when they're super-full. It's a 55-year-old American manufacturer. I'd never heard of them either before we got to the store :shrug:

I only like cannisters. :D Who sells them in Canada and are they as expensive as Dyson? :)

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Complain and ask the company to replace it with the Dyson Ball :cloud9:

The uprights are way too heavy for me...and it's more for carpeting than plain floors :shrug:...we don't have carpets.

I only like cannisters. :D Who sells them in Canada and are they as expensive as Dyson? :)

The top of the line model only costs about 3 Dysons :laughing:.

rainbow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
The top of the line model only costs about 3 Dysons :laughing:.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Guess I can cross that one off my list too. :o

Marcha
January 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
To add another brand to the mix - Miele cannisters. I have had them since I moved out of my parents' home 25 years ago. So far I haven't seen or used any other cannister models (I hate, hate, hate upright models) that compare and I've seen/used quite a lot for work purposes. I worked with one woman, who had four large and 8 small heavy shedders, and she swears by the brand too. Not all shops carry it, because it's imported from Europe.

14+kitties
January 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
We bought a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser early in the spring. With seven kitties, two dogs and a bird in the house and with all the sand hubby brings in from his work I figured we would have to replace it quickly. Nope. Works like a charm. It was under $200 at the time. I think you can find it cheaper now. It has a funky attachment for furniture that really works well for me. I have only replaced the side filter once. The main filter takes about three minutes to clean off and wash. I leave it to dry overnight before putting it back in. The sponge filter is the same. Very easy to clean and leave to dry overnight. It hasn't lost any suction power in almost a year. For my tight budget it is the greatest! :thumbs up Oh, and it's light. Probably around 10 pounds.

http://www.bissell.com/products/c/uprightvacuum/p/3920/product.aspx?MSCSProfile=2EB09F17E7A640E9CB747DEC0 4C54923ECA3CA83410FA16F8892C269267C2FECF92B3BCD1A9 FBAC489F3B7EE0BDF0C037072E8E5C992AF4D0E35D0A00CCBC 25002C500831903A79E9B2CCE7B993BA4DF76E365B6E2DF763 DB2A0B25C465B0A85F1FA9CFCBBFC78A16EF94586B1EA73F4A 5567DE301CC53B86997D47B8CF372C40ED4306C972264C9

http://www.testfreaks.com/vacuum-cleaners/bissell-pet-hair-eraser/

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I bought the Dirt Devil Jaguar Pet (canister) last summer , so far so good.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have a Kenmore Progressive Canister vac and it works great. I've had it for a few yrs. They take a bag, but they don't throw up any dust at all and you won't spew dust everywhere when you throw the bag away unlike when you empty the canister on most bagless.

My mother in law has a bissel upright bagless that picks up EVERYTHING but when I bought one a few years ago (right before I got the kenmore) it spewed dust everywhere. It picked up everything great, but spewed it back out of the canister :shrug:. It wasn't sealed well or something but it wasn't missing parts either, so I dunno what the deal was, but I had to take it back because it was worthless. That's when I went online and consumersearch recommended the kenmore so it's what I bought.

I think I also considered a miele, but decided against it because it would have been hard to get it repaired or get parts, whereas I have a Sears in town so the Kenmore can be fixed right away. I've never had to have it repaired though. It has an automatic shutoff and reset button for if something gets caught in the brush, so I haven't even had to replace the belt or anything.

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Oh, dawg!!! Someone throw me a vacuum!!! Any vacuum...puh-leeze!!!! My Eureka cannister is out of commission till Wednesday and the hair balls are taking OVER!!!! :eek:
h e l p...m e...I'm drowning in hair! :yell:

Dee-O-Gee
January 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh, dawg!!! Someone throw me a vacuum!!! Any vacuum...puh-leeze!!!! My Eureka cannister is out of commission till Wednesday and the hair balls are taking OVER!!!! :eek:
h e l p...m e...I'm drowning in hair! :yell:

Here you go Hazel! :D :D

Ditto for the Bissel Canister. :thumbs up Bought ours at Wal-Mart a couple years ago and still works like a charm not to mention very inexpensive. Our's has the little attachment do-higgie thing too that vaccums upholstery. Man O man, the white kiddy fur this things picks up! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
:cloud9: :thankyou:, klm...I'm feeling better now. :o

Dee-O-Gee
January 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
:cloud9: :thankyou:, klm...I'm feeling better now. :o

You know Hazel...you could always collect all them there furballs and make some pillows! I could help you sew them up! :D

Heck with all that fur, you could market them. Maybe call them English Sitting Pillows. :lightbulb: :laughing: :o

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I think there'd be lots of sneezing going on! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
January 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I think there'd be lots of sneezing going on! :laughing:

Only to those who are allergic! :D :D

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
There's also a lotta dust in them thar hairballs :eek: Trust me, it wouldn't take a dog allergy to end up sneezin' over dem pillers.... :p :laughing:

MyBirdIsEvil
January 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
There's also a lotta dust in them thar hairballs :eek: Trust me, it wouldn't take a dog allergy to end up sneezin' over dem pillers.... :p :laughing:

I dunno. I saw a woman on a talk show years back that took the fur she brushed off her golden retriever, washed it and made it into yarn, then would knit stuff with it. The stuff looked really nice, but I dunno.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
I dunno. I saw a woman on a talk show years back that took the fur she brushed off her golden retriever, washed it and made it into yarn, then would knit stuff with it. The stuff looked really nice, but I dunno.
I absolutely draw the line at laundering my hair balls! hazel's hairballs are destined for the burn bin! :o :laughing: :laugh:

Y'know, though, I do know people who do that still, MBIE! Setters don't have much of an undercoat, though--which is the best kind of hair for spinning and knitting. I think setter yarn would just fall apart. :D

quincymycat
January 3rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
And as I read this thread again...my vacuum did the final hurrah this morning.
I was expecting it...just hoping it held out a bit longer.
It is a cheapie I got "just to fill in" until I replaced my central system (which as of this morning...is my only vacuum)
It was a dirt devil - yellow upright thingie that did not use bags, had a hepa filter...which by the way, cost almost as much as the vacuum was new, to replace.
I think I will just close my eyes and use my close to useless central vac until I can get a new one - hopefully the dyson pet model. I refuse to replace the central vac since I know I am going to sell this place within the next few years and the dyson will come with me and not have to stay. I will be needing a new CPU within the next few months and Chloe NEEDS her spay this month. Let's see...another heat period of loud yeowling, or only semi clean carpets which only me and the cats see. Easy decision! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I absolutely draw the line at laundering my hair balls!

oh come on ! You could do matching mitains , hats and scarves , tricolors , 2 colors ... :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Bummer about your vac, qmc. I feel your pain :grouphug:

Ya. And I'll get right on that, Frenchy :p

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hmmmm...qmc? As long as we're in the same boat here, as far as being one vacuum short of a clean house, maybe we should go into the knitting business together! :thumbs up

Whaddya say? :laughing:

quincymycat
January 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I really SHOULD NOT admit this Hazel, but I once saw and ad for someone selling a spinning wheel and ALMOST called about it. With Maines, the undercoat is overwhelming and other than the fact that the hair STINKS when wet, I thought it would be a nice way to keep someting of the boys forever....I guess those urns on my mantle are not being counted! (The ashes in those and any other subsequent ones are being interred with my ashes - my last request and hopefully one of my daughters will do it....)

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
We have urns here, too, qmc...:fingerscr with the same ultimate disposition in mind!

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Glad to see there are others that have the same thing in mind as I do. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
hmmmm...sorta eerie to be talking about ashes and vacuums in the same thread :o :eek: I sure as heck don't wanna end up in a vacuum! :eeew:

:sorry:, LP. We seem to have strayed off-topic! :o

krdahmer
January 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
....I guess those urns on my mantle are not being counted! (The ashes in those and any other subsequent ones are being interred with my ashes - my last request and hopefully one of my daughters will do it....)

I think that is awesome, I've planned to do the same! I want to be buried (well in an urn anyhow) with all my pets that go before me! (I'm also thinking of asking my family to hold on to the ashes till the ones I have when I die can join me.) Some people think it's morbid, but I think it's sweet. I mean no one would bat an eye at a request to be buried with family....well these furries are our families too! :thumbs up

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
hmmmm...sorta eerie to be talking about ashes and vacuums in the same thread :o :eek: I sure as heck don't wanna end up in a vacuum! :eeew:

I thought you were already in a vacuum :confused: ....or is that madame hazel? :laugh:

:sorry:, LP. We seem to have strayed off-topic! :o

Somehow, I don't think LP would mind and would probably have joined in. :laughing:

But, I guess we should try to keep this on topic so have you managed to vacuum yet today? :D

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
No. :cry: :yell: No vacuuming... :o Just fuzzies. :D

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
You should use the shop vac before they start multiplying. :D

cpietra16
January 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I have a Kirby which is amazing and it picks up every hair in ever part of the house...including the cat...if you are not careful. The suction is great, however it weighs a ton...I have had it for almost 20 years and it still wokr as well as it did the day I bought it.....

because it weighs way to much to carry around up and down the stairs, this year after having it on layaway for over a year I finally got the Miele; Cat and Dog vacuum (its actual name)...which according to all eye witnesses works a miracle...I will let you know in a month if it was worth the wait...:D

quincymycat
January 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
ahhhh-chooo!!!:laughing: Pass the benedryl! The vaccum I used today would probably be better not used with dust it seemed to stir up!

quincymycat
January 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think that is awesome, I've planned to do the same! I want to be buried (well in an urn anyhow) with all my pets that go before me! (I'm also thinking of asking my family to hold on to the ashes till the ones I have when I die can join me.) Some people think it's morbid, but I think it's sweet. I mean no one would bat an eye at a request to be buried with family....well these furries are our families too! :thumbs up

I know it is off topic again....but just so you know...legally, pet ashes cannot be interred with human in a human cemetary. My lawyer told me that, so in my will, at the part about final arrangements, etc...it just says something about remains to be handled privately by ..'daughter's name'. The lawyer did not want anything in writing to stop my wishes and breaking the law just might have done it!

:sorry: Back to vacuums! :D

dbg10
January 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I have a Kirby which is amazing and it picks up every hair in ever part of the house

I started out many years ago with a Hoover upright. From that I bought my first Electrolux canister which worked great until the hose got holes in it and had to replaced several times. I thought it worked well on cat and dog hair until it finally croaked and I bought a used and refurbished ancient Kirby upright. I thought I had died and gone to heaven with how much it picked up, it became quickly obvious that lots of hair had been left behind. I replaced the Kirby with a newer model and loved it until we moved. Next I bought a used and refurbished Filter Queen which only seemed to suck up the hair on top of the carpets. It was great on hardwood and laminate, but not on rugs when compared to the Kirby.

After a short time I traded the Filter Queen for another refurbished, used Kirby and as long as I have animals I won't switch again. This model has a switch that when flipped, allows it to move easily around and I use the attachments on the stairs. It came with the shampooer which I use regularly and I would recommend a Kirby to anyone. As far as I'm concerned for someone who has area rugs, laminate, ceramic or broadloom on their floors, the Kirby is great :D

Just don't buy it new, or any of the vacuums sold door to door for that matter, the prices are way too high. If you go to a vacuum store that sells used vacuums usually you can pick a newer Kirby up for $200 or $300 that has been refurbished and if necessary the motor rebuilt. All the attachments come with it, and usually the shampooer as well. The only drawback is if you have to carry it up and down stairs, they are very heavy.

I have heard the Dyson is good, but don't know anything about it, other than what I've read :shrug:

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I love how this thread has evolved :laughing:.

QMC, unless you have carpeting, the Dyson Animal (upright) is quite heavy and awkward on hardwood floors. The one I tested at the store won't fit under beds and in narrow areas. The hose attachment is made of the same cheap quality as the canisters. Which brings me to the Electrolux I saw at Costco the other day...it has the identical hose as the Dyson...wonder if they use the same maker :confused:.

Dbg10, last year when I was researching the Dyson, I only found excellent reviews. I googled "Dyson reviews" a few days ago and found many more negative reviews than positive. All came down to the cheap quality of the parts that needed to be replaced (repeatedly) soon after purchase.

For a 600+$ vacuum, I would expect much better :shrug:.

Luvmypitgirls
January 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
They all suck...

lol!

:laughing::laughing:

Our new house has central vac, and it works amazingly well, only draw back is when my arthritis is bugging me I can't lug the hose upstairs.
The furniture attachment works better than anything I've ever used, gets all of Abby's fine hair of the microfibre furniture....that she isn't allowed on :rolleyes:

I also have a Bissell bagless, and I love it, it's the one that goes from carpet to bare floors, and has a bunch of attachments, altho I think my central vac upholstery attachment works far better than my Bissel one.

I also have a Bissell carpet cleaner and I love it! It has two large cannisters for shampoo water and one for extraction.

I had a Kirby many years ago, I loved it, but it was soooo heavy, not to mention I broke my right baby toe on it twice...I have a bad habit of stubbing my toes on things, but with the Kirby it wasn't just stubbing a toe it was breaking a toe :laughing:

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM

LOL, when people google "Best Vacuum" and this pops up they'll at first think "WOW three pages of reviews" .....at least they'll get a few giggles along with it. :D

quincymycat
January 4th, 2010, 04:19 AM

QMC, unless you have carpeting, the Dyson Animal (upright) is quite heavy and awkward on hardwood floors. The one I tested at the store won't fit under beds and in narrow areas. The hose attachment is made of the same cheap quality as the canisters. Which brings me to the Electrolux I saw at Costco the other day...it has the identical hose as the Dyson...wonder if they use the same maker :confused:.

For a 600+$ vacuum, I would expect much better :shrug:.

Thanks LP. I have not gotten to the "purchase stage" yet...still counting the pros and cons. I did not know about the weight of the dyson pet, I will have to go into a good store and compare. I need something relatively light as carrying a 25 pound cat up the stairs almost kills me and at least they are co-operative...unlike an unyeilding vacuum!:D
I have half and half wood floors and carpet downstairs...dining and family room are hardwood, but I usually just use a swiffer cloth to pick up hair in those rooms...it is the carpet that is breeding fuzz balls right now.
Anyway, the gang is calling...they got me up for breakfast at what....:eek: 5:14 AM. No wonder I'm weak. They'll all be back asleep by 7:00AM but i'm not that lucky!!!
This thread has given some great idea though.
Electolux canister...had one many years ago.( it WAS good tho. I did not know Costco had them..I'll have to take a peek), Kirby...just too heavy. Beam central...yeah, very good, but I don't want to have to leave it behind when I move in the close future....decisons, decisons.:yell:

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
My vacuum came home today :flirt: :cloud9:

quincymycat
January 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM

don't hurt yourself catching up on getting rid of the fuzzies!!! :rolleyes: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
It's gotta wait till tomorrow...too tired from a crappy day... But I fully expect to fill a whole bag in the morning! :laughing:

luckypenny
January 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Bet you won't be feeling quite that way tomorrow by the time your halfway through vacuuming the house :D.

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Ya, but once I can see the floor again, it'll make it all worth while! :thumbs up I'm tired of stubbing my toes against things hidden in the general sea of hair! :o

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
<sigh> so does this mean that you won't be able to play here .....ooops, I mean post here tomorrow until the vacuuming is done? :sad:

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM
The vacuuming isn't what's keeping me busy, more's the pity, since vacuuming really didn't take that long today :D

And I just walked down the hall and there were no hairballs! :highfive:

Couldn't be happier! :goodvibes: (<-----hazel doing the happy dance :laughing:)

luckypenny
April 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Received yet another hose replacement today (took 6 days). Spoke to a customer rep and was informed that the broken parts no longer have to be returned (thank dog cuz that's a pain in the @ss). The fellow also said that they were aware of the problem with the hoses cracking and that it was resolved. I should have asked what exactly he meant by that as the replacement looks/feels exactly like the old ones :shrug:. Guess I'll find out in the next few weeks.

I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow cuz the Shop Vac just about took out my ear drums in addition to every wall corner :rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Maybe they were sending out the cracked hoses to other people as replacements for cracked hoses. Now that they've decided that doesn't work, they don't need them mailed back anymore :p :laughing:

At least it will be easier to get a replacement hose now! Do they do that for the life of the machine, or will that service end when the warranty expires?

luckypenny
April 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I actually though along those lines :laughing:. 'Cept I was thinking they cut the hose at the cracks and reattach the wands...that's why I felt it was rather short for a short person :D.

For sure for the life of the warranty, 5 years. But if it's a defect they are already aware of, I would assume (or insist rather) it should be for it's lifetime.

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I would hope they'd stand behind their product! With any luck, they've fixed the problem and it won't be an issue any longer! :goodvibes: :fingerscr