Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice

COCO350
October 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM
As some of you know, we've been living on a farm for a year, we have horses and a dog balou, (Coda passed not too long ago) My problem is that people started leaving cats in our barn, probably thinking that we would take care of them since we live on a farm!! Of course we would, we love animals! 3 pregnant cats were abandoned, 20 kittens were born. We managed to give some away. Now one of the mother died leaving me with 5 kittens that I brought in the house to care for, thank goodness they're safe now! We have 5 more kittens in the barn. I'm frustrated at people who abandon their cat especially when there pregnant!!! We spoke with vetenerians see if they would help with products, deworming, flea treatment, operations...none of them would agree to help...they ask that i bring them in for examination:rolleyes: These cats are not domestic cats.!! do you have any advice? The cost for taking care of these cats and kittens is phenomenal!!

:shrug:

ownedbycats
October 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have heard that there are rescue programs that trap, spay/neuter, and release feral cats. Maybe you can find one in your neighbourhood? If the only problem is catching them and transporting them, see if you can borrow or rent a live animal trap from the vet or humane society. This is what my neighbour uses to trap strays and have them fixed. You simply put food in the back, they go in to get it, and step on a pressure plate that closes the door behind them. The cat is safely captured without hurting it. It can be transported to the vet in the cage, though putting a towel over the cae helps keep them calm.They are starting a spay/neuter/release program in my city and so they don't try to re-spay/neuter an already fixed cat, they put a notch or tattoo onits ear while it is under anesthetic. (the idea behind releasing the true ferals is that they will chase other cats off their territory keeping the population at the same approximate numbers. Humans feed and monitor to spay/neuter any new animals replacing old ones. The strays that used to be pets are kept and re-homed if at all possibly.)

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I heard that the Montreal SPCA is having a free clinic some day soon on sterilizing cats. If you PM me your e-mail address I will forward what I received. I hope you qualify for this...it is worth a try.

COCO350
October 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
The cost for having all these cats is huge, although we are willing to do whatever we can, money wise it is adding a strain to our budget, in the past year we had at least 30 cats to feed and care for and by doing this we also get very attach to them. Thank you for your advice!!!!