Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't breed or buy when shelter pets die

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I know somebody on this forum has that signature, i just can't remember who. I must say, thankyou to that person, because we have decided not to buy a puppy after all, but to adopt one from our local rescue centre. This means that the one we were going to buy can get a good home, but anotherpuppy/dog (i don't know which yet) will get a home too!!

views/thoughts are welcome

Soter

babymomma
October 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
well thats VERY good of you! .. Do you have a dog in mind that you would like to adopt?!

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Three in fact. There is a golden reriever X called Bailey, he looks lovely, then a tri-colour collie, quite small, called Katy. She was described as very shy but very sweet and then there are three collieXspaniel puppies. I would take them all home if i could!!

Dracko
October 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have that in my signature. :thumbs up

Hope you'll post pictures of the animal you choose. :goodvibes:

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rescued animals are as good as any. They are so very grateful when you take them home - they do know!

I have only had shelter or rescued animals all my life. My parents taught us at a very young age on helping all animals (that being animal or human) and being responsible with them.

For this reason, I do what I do. I am so pleased that you are opening your heart and home to one of society's unwanted. Bless you.

mastifflover
October 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah for you. Rescues are the best dogs they may require some work but in the end you will never regret it. I have had dogs from breeders but in the last 30 or so years I have only rescued and never regretted one of those sweet souls I gave a home to. In fact the sweetest gentlest most amazing dog ever was Buddy an abused neglected English Mastiff who I miss everyday he stole a piece of my heart. We will all be awaiting pictures of your adoptee good luck and we are all here for support if you need it.

happycats
October 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
:thumbs up WHOOO HOOOOOO!

You won't regret it either! My Buddy is the best dog ever, he's amazing, it's like he knows we saved him, so will do anything to please us......he is forever grateful :lovestruck:

Plus you will know exactly what you are getting, as the dogs likes/dislikes and temperment are already known !!

Rescues are the best!! :highfive:

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
We have decided on one of the three puppies, the collieXspringers.
OMG its all happening soooo fast! more news, the woman rang and said that this little puppy is a girl (the name soter still goes for her though) and we can see her on saturday morning if we like. the family is going to dublin on sunday, so we cant take her home on saturday, but maybe next saturday. I never thought this day would come!
It isn't certain yet, but im hoping!!!!

And to Dracko, hmmm, i knew i'd seen that signature somewhere!!!!:D

The puppy is apparently very shy and not well socialized, so she is in the same kennel block as another shy dog, and is getting along very well. I assume that her two brothers/sisters (?) are already gone, because there was no mention of them.

Fingers crossed! Hoping she will soon be part of our family :cloud9:

14+kitties
October 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
:highfive::thumbs up to you!! Congrats!!!!

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
One thing I am confused about is this.

The woman said that the puppy needed a really good bath, she was a little bit smelly, why doesn't she do it herself??:shrug:

this is a rescue shelter, why are they expecting us to do it when we havent even seen her yet and if we were to adopt her it wouldn't be for at least another week! :confused:

MommaKat
October 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
If your girl was in a foster family then I wouldn't understand why they could not give her a bath, but if she is residing in the shelter it really comes down to Volunteers(majority of people who work at a shelter, don't get paid), time and money. Shelter enviroment is also really stressful on most animals so a bath/grooming might be too much for her right now.

Another way to look at it is that a bath and whole spa treatment would be a good way to bond with your new pup ;) Good choice in choosing a shelter dog, it's a priceless and rewarding experience :lovestruck: .

BrightEyes
October 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Congrats!! Don't forget to post pics....we'll definately need pics...and lots of em :thumbs up

Frenchy
October 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Rescued animals are as good as any.

No they're not :frustrated:
they're better :D

Frenchy
October 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Congrats Soter ! I can't wait to hear that she is finally home :cloud9:

Soter
October 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am quite unahppy

we have decided to put off getting the puppy for now

:sorry: for dissapointing you all, really

It for for various reasons, and its a spur-of-the-moment descision
I suppose it is in the best interests of the puppy really, but i am so dissapointed!!!

I was excited, because the puppy from the litter that i was going to get from the breeder was ill along with his brothers and sisters, and so i didn't really think there was much hope for that puppy. then when we decided on adopting from a shelter, i was so happy. but now for certain reason we cant, and i am so :sad:

thank you all though for saying congratulations and being happy, it means a lot. :)

Maybe it will change......

BenMax
October 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Soter - if this is not the right time, then it is best to wait until you are ready. There is nothing worse than a hasty decision so it is probably in the best interest of the animal that you wait.

So don't feel badly - the right time will come and then you can celebrate once again. No harm done.

But do consider a shelter/rescue when you are ready - you will not regret it.

Soter
October 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I know i need to get rid of dissapointment, because it is best for the dog.

If the other ill puppy gets better before we are ready to get the other dog from the shelter, we might get the puppy from the breeder. Im stuck between the two. Sadly, another puppy of the littler has died, so there isn't much hope for him anyway :sad:

BenMax
October 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I know i need to get rid of dissapointment, because it is best for the dog.

If the other ill puppy gets better before we are ready to get the other dog from the shelter, we might get the puppy from the breeder. Im stuck between the two. Sadly, another puppy of the littler has died, so there isn't much hope for him anyway :sad:

Soter - if puppies from the litter are dying then stay away from this breeder. This is tell tale signs that there are health issues now and more than likely health issues in the future. Do you know what these pups are dying from?

Personally, I would be running from this breeder and not touching it with a ten foot pole.

Soter
October 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM
it is an intestinal parasite.

a few days before they got their injection against this parasite they got it, and the vet says it is a common thing, but it never usually lasts this long, it clears up very quickly. the puppies have been at the vets for over a month now.

Soter
October 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
More great news, and this time I think we have made a very
good descision....

We have decided to only start looking for dogs from a rescue shelter after christmas, because if we got one now or any time later, it would be too soon till christmas and there would be too much excitement. I don't think a puppy or a rescue dog would like that much excitement when they have just come to a new home. So january, maybe february would be a good time.

Soter :dog:

Frenchy
October 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Of course if you would get the puppy now , it would have time to settle in before x-mas but there's no need to rush into adoption. So it's a smart choice to wait after x-mas. :thumbs up

Soter
October 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I was looking around in the library at doggie books, and it was talkng about buying/adopting dogs/puppies and bringing them home. It said the average canine needs about half a year to settle in. but then again, being a dog owner yourself i guess you would have the experience.
i think it may be better to wait till after christmas and the new year.

hmmm, a new dog to start a new year.......

sounds wonderful!!!!! :crazy:

Soter:dog: