Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WTF?? A BIG Diamond scare

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
OMG! I had just taken Diamond out for her business & as I got down my steps I realized I had no potty treats (she was running to the grass) So I stepped back into house. Grabbed the treats & a could hear this voice "Hi Pretty girl such a pretty girl come here" Yard is fenced 6 1/2 feet all way around.

I come down steps kinda confused (Didnt sound like neighbours voice)

& Theres a GUY on my fence calling Diamond With a leash in his hand!!!!!!

Diamond as you know is very shy? or submissive but I think he was gonna take her!!!!!

I have NO IDEA who he is!!

Diamond sees me & comes running & hides between my legs. The guy jumps back to other side of fence. & runs down the street.

I scoop her up brought her back inside! call The cops & report it. (being a strange guy in my back-yard)

HOLY CRAP!!!!

I am shaking Doors/windows locked & My friend is coming over I am freaked out.

(I always go out with her) what if I didnt today???? or what if.. he didnt care I was there???

HOLY CRAP! I am freaking.

Anyone wanna spare a hug? or two?

babymomma
October 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
:grouphug: This is a Dog owners worst nightmare!! Im sooo sorry yoou had to experiance that!!! Ive had somebody grab Keely out of my arms without asking and i thought they were going to run off with her and i got sooo scared and grabbed her back. I hope this guy doesnt try anything else!!!! :sad: How are you handeling this? I hope It doesnt stress you out too much!! And i hope diamon isnt too stresse out!

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Iam freaked!

Hugging Diamond & crying she is kissing my face. I dont think she realizes what could of happned.

I seen 2 cop cars go down street beside me So I think they are looking for him. I got a pretty good description of him.

I am still shaking. :sad:

SIL
October 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to send lots of :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: your way!!!
I hope the cops catch this :loser:....having lost a dog I know how devastating it is for the whole family.

AmericanBullMom
October 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: That is sooo scary! I cant imagine someone doing that! What kind of people are out there!:mad:

So glad Diamond is ok and safe with you! Hope the cops find him... if he HAD a leash I wonder if he is like going around and stealing dogs... What a creep!

kathryn
October 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Is Diamond a pure breed? Probably some dog napping creep. I hope they catch him because he's obviously going to try to do this again. I mean, he was walking around with a leash in his hand... clearly premeditated :mad:

krdahmer
October 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
:eek: That is terrifying... not just scary! :grouphug: :2huggers: What an :censored:!!! :frustrated:

Hopefully the cops can grab him, I would make up a flyer and warn all your neighbours as well.... who knows who he might try to grab next! I've heard stories about people that do that... take pets from yard etc... then sell them to who knows who. It takes really sick demented people to go around stealing people's beloved family pets! I mean :evil: just evil!

:grouphug: & :goodvibes: to you and Diamond that that was a one time fluke and he hasn't been stalking you or something! It's great that you called the cops... perhaps knowing that you did and seeing them in the area will deter him from a second attempt. :fingerscr

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yup Pure bred Golden Unfixed too. (for now)

my GF is here wow I feel better having someone with me.

Spatx
October 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Oh jeez, that is very scary. :eek: That is is one of my worst nightmares.

I'm so glad that you got outside in time to see him and save Diamond. I honestly can't believe there are people like this out there. Who knows what they are trying to do, maybe even get money for 'finding' a 'lost' pet.. or selling them to someone else.

Lots of hugs being sent your way. :grouphug: Lets hope the creep never tries this again now that you've seen him. Or better yet, that the cops catch him!

AmericanBullMom
October 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
One of my dad's friends bought one of Patrón's brothers on the same day that my dad bought Patrón for me. The guy had him in his backyard while he ran to the gas station at the corner of the road, gone for maybe 5 mins at the most, and someone had stolen the puppy by the time he got back... :sad:

I am :pray::pray::pray: that they catch this guy! And i agree warn alllllll your neighbors!

kathryn
October 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yup Pure bred Golden Unfixed too. (for now)

my GF is here wow I feel better having someone with me.

Gahhhh, yeah your dog is at the top of the list of pups to be stolen then.
For what it's worth, get her chipped if she's not already. From things I've heard, if they are chipped and wearing the little tag saying so, it may be a deterrent. Obviously not full proof.. but I mean it could help if she ever was stolen (and we all seriously hope that never happens!!! ARGHH PEOPLE!!! :yell:)

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
ohh Kathryn Thanks for that yup she is chipped I just gave a 2nd statement to the cops & they said its the 6th such dog-nap attempt since Sept:eek: Here

Yet not one neighbour has said anything to me??
I am going to warn the neighbours as well. I will put up a flyer @ the mailbox & the stores. & tell everyone.

I wonder now about Duke? :rip:if he was dog-napped..??

Frenchy
October 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I will put up a flyer @ the mailbox & the stores. & tell everyone.

That's a good idea ! That must had been so scary for you .... I get so :mad: when things like this happen , I would have probably run after the :loser: to kick his a** :mad:

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
One of my dad's friends bought one of Patrón's brothers on the same day that my dad bought Patrón for me. The guy had him in his backyard while he ran to the gas station at the corner of the road, gone for maybe 5 mins at the most, and someone had stolen the puppy by the time he got back... :sad:

I am :pray::pray::pray: that they catch this guy! And i agree warn alllllll your neighbors!

OMG!!!!!!!! I hope they get him back

That has me terrified.. (I have been since bringing her home)

Surviellance is going up in back-yard tonite.

Chris21711
October 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
That's eerie DM, knowing where you live (more or less), you sorta think that kind of thing happens in the city not out in the sticks.

What was the story with Duke, since you mentioned that maybe he was dognapped?

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
my Gf i strying to give me a shooter to settle my nerves (Both of us have been outside with Diamond (poor pup she really HAD to go since this all started)

around 11:15 today.

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Duke went missing Aug 16th From our back-yard..We thought he had just gotten out & had posted flyers etc etc.

My hubby found him Sept 4th in the ATV trails :sad:

Now I am really upset again.. what if it wasnt his time & he had been seriously hurt if he was doGnapped or something??

onster
October 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
holy crap!!!!!!!!

That would of freaked the hell out of me too. I hope the cops find him. I too would do as krdhamer suggested, warn neighbours/people in the dog park etc. Where abouts are u diamondsmum?

omg...seriously. wow.

im so sorry u had to go thru this:grouphug:

onster
October 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
oh God brought back such horrible memories of when bunduk went missing ( i was basically asked for ransom)...:mad::mad::mad: how messed up does one have to be!??!

AmericanBullMom
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
DM I am so sorry for yout loss of Duke.. Heres some more :grouphug:'s than you can handle!

I think Diamond is safe now though! the guy knows you saw him, I HIGHLY doubt he would come back to try this again!!

Maybe invest in some hot wire... like horse grade hot wire... you could rig your fence up REALLY good... (of course only turn it on when Diamond isnt out there! ) Would be a NICE wake up call to anyone trying to steal your beloved baby! :evil: If you get a camera too, then maybe you can catch his reaction to the hot wire on camera!! :laughing: I get great pleasure from imagining this creep being shocked....:evil:

Chris21711
October 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear about Duke DM :grouphug:

MommaKat
October 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yea I think it's pretty obvious what he was trying to do :eek: .

:grouphug: to you!

Love4himies
October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
OMG, how scary :eek: :sad: :grouphug: Good thing you came out when you did.

Melinda
October 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM
oh poor you, how scary is that!!!! I hope the cops find him and bust his @$$, can you put his description on posters to alert the neighbours? maybe post it in the window at a corner store?? I'd let the paper know and maybe they will put a small article in the paper to "beware"

Schwinn
October 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you DM, and sorry about Duke. There are some real creeps out there, unfortunately. It's sad, I've heard too many stories (mostly on here), which is why we don't leave Daisy outside when we aren't home anymore.

Here's hoping they catch the guy, or at least karma does, anyway.:evil:

kandy
October 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: Wow - how scary!!!!!!! So glad that everyone is safe! I would bet if you post a description of him on flyers around your neighborhood, he won't dare to come back there - but I really hope the cops catch him because he's obviously just going to move into a different area to continue his dognapping enterprises.

My mom & dad had a rotti (RIP Koda) that stayed in the bar that they owned (not at night or anything, just during the day when everyone was there). One afternoon a woman grabbed Koda's collar and started dragging her for the door. Normally Koda would go with anyone if the prospect involved food, but thank dog that Koda decided she didn't like this woman. Koda did this little twist thing with her head and backed out of her collar. Another time one of the bartenders took Koda outside to go potty, and went back inside for something. When she went back outside, Koda was gone. My mom went ballistic, and started canvassing the neighborhood immediately. The clerk at a convenience mart told her that a guy had come in not too long before that saying that he'd just gotten a dog and needed food. She gave a description of his vehicle. My mom called the police (everyone in town knew this dog) and they started looking for the vehicle. They found him - and he did have Koda. He tried to say that he thought she was a stray (yeah right, a fat rotti with a collar and tags - hanging out right outside a bar where everyone knows she belongs). I think that took like 10 years off my mom's life.

So glad that he wasn't successful in his attempt to take Diamond!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie1010
October 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Wow that is terrifying... Thank dog nothing happened and you caught the guy before he had any time to do anything. Its amazing the things people do, and I agree he was likely going to sell her, seems to be a sadly more and more common thing these days.

We are on a Flyball Team and in talking to people we train with and other people I know, dog theft/resale is becoming a real threat from the allure of making "a quick buck". I was talking to my vet recently and a clients dog was stolen from her backyard, and was only returned because his tags say he has severe allergies. I take it the person who stole him thought it would be too much of a hassle to keep/sell a dog with allergies.

Since then I have heard from quite a few people to not put your dogs name on its tags (that way if someone takes or finds your dog, they dont know its name) but only put your family name or just the address. phone # and that the dog has "severe allergies" (even if it doesnt). The logic is most people who see this would return the dog, bring it to a vet or a shelter instead of keeping/rehoming it because the fact the dog "has allergies" makes it less appealing to keep. I have since redone Nitro's tags and make sure his Microchip tag is the most visible, as it can be a deterent as well.

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
DM, can you put padlocks on the gates? We had some neighbor problems when we first moved here and the first thing we did when he showed his character was to lock the gates. If you don't have the type of closure that allows you to padlock it, you can get a chain to run through the gate and loop the padlock through the chain!

omg, I don't blame you for freaking!! How scary!!!! :grouphug:

chico2
October 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thank Dog you got out there in time:thumbs up
This creep could very well have planned to add him to a puppy-mill,a beautiful blond pup would make beautiful babies and lots of money.
Very,very scary for sure,but I am so glad you are both safe:grouphug::grouphug:

Chaser
October 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
This is so awful! I'm sorry you had to go through such a scary experience, and I'm SO happy that Diamond is okay. :grouphug:

I used to be so scared of this happening once we get a yard....but now we have Kailey, and I don't think anyone will ever dare to set foot on our property with her around!!! Get a shepherd. A big one. (Well, I don't actually mean that....but I can imagine why you might want to right about now!)

14+kitties
October 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Nothing to say. Just lots of :grouphug: to you. :sad:

Diamondsmum
October 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks sooo much for the hugs & listening guys.

My DH is setting up surveillance in back-yard just in case.

(also hid a baby moniter out there) so I can hear voices.

We used to have it in front yard as our vehicles had been broken into several times (yup we caught them)

I am still pretty shaken up & Having my DH here I feel better.

let this be a lesson to people tho.. Dont let what almost happned HAPPEN!

growler~GateKeeper
October 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Aww DM :grouphug: musta been terrifying :grouphug:

I'm so glad the :censored: :loser: was not successful. And multiple neighbourhood attempts in the last month :eek: I :pray: this guy & anyone else he's working with is caught soon :fingerscr

What is the world coming to :sad:

:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM
only put your family name or just the address. phone # and that the dog has "severe allergies" (even if it doesnt).

This is a good idea as is the security system but please don't be lulled into a false sense of security, everyone still needs to be extra vigilant, even those with multiple dogs.

There is a 2001 story here (http://www.ishclub.org/forms/gateway.pdf) about a very very distinctively marked Sibe who was stolen on route to an out of state AKC show. He was taken out of his crate in the back of a locked van in a hotel parking lot overnight. The theives broke the back window of the van opened Gateway's crate, took him out then carefully closed the crate & the van door leaving 2 other Sibes & 3 English Mastiffs behind in the truck. The handler didn't have an alarm in the van cuz the dogs just moving around would've set it off. Thankfully after alot of work alerting everyone in the area & setting up a huge network of people to help, Gateway was found in a shelter he was picked having been found running loose along the highway (approx 10 miles from where he was stolen) where the theives let him loose likely because of the attention this was generating.

This goes to show the lengths people will go to in order to steal a dog. :sad:

TeriM
October 7th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Good points Growler :thumbs up.

DM, I am so glad that Diamond and you are both ok, that must have been horrible :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:.

chico2
October 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I remember that story Growler,luckily a happy ending.
Beautiful Fate is outside alone most of the day,she's allowed to come inside,but prefers to be in the large yard chasing Squirrels.
However,she is very friendly and would probably leave with anyone who has a treat:frustrated:
We are keeping an eye on her,but with the wire-fence everyone can see her,walk in and take her:frustrated:

mona_b
October 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm so sorry you went through this.....:grouphug:

Unfortunately this happens all to often....:sad:..These people scope out houses.They know who has a dog and who doesn't.They know who the barkers are and who are not.

Dogs have been taken out of yards,when they have been tied up as the owner has stopped in a store,out of cars.

In the early summer,a 15 year old Chi was taken out of the owners car.HUGE posters were posted.Not sure if the dog was ever found.This was in my surrounding area.

Yes I have popped into the store with my dog in the car,BUT I have no worries.If you want to mess with a 110lb GSD who is a retired Police Dog,then go for it.You won't get far.:D

ancientgirl
October 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm seriously behind here. I'm so sorry about what happened to you. Holy crap how frightening! What a sick ******* to want to take your baby! I hope he's caught! No doubt this isn't the first time he's tried to do that.:grouphug:

BusterBoo
October 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM
So sorry to hear of this scare! I hope you and Diamond are ok!

thanks for pointing out about the padlock on the backyard gate. I have such a gate and keep thinking...I need to get a lock..... well, that will be done tomorrow for sure!

:grouphug:

Chaser
October 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yes I have popped into the store with my dog in the car,BUT I have no worries.If you want to mess with a 110lb GSD who is a retired Police Dog,then go for it.You won't get far.:D

Same here....my thoughts exactly! The problem being that poor Diamond being a sweet little puppy fluffball can't scare away people with bad intentions. :sad: I'm so relieved she is safe!!!

Tundra_Queen
October 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
This is terrible Diamondsmum!! I remember u showing me pics of your cute little diamond and she is adorable!!

I'm so glad that u went back outside so quickly!!

Here is a hug from me.

Debbie

Diamondsmum
October 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
aww you all have made me cry reading the.replies.

tx for the hugs & ideas. I hope they get him soon. I will definately update tho if there is any news.

BrightEyes
October 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
OMG, DM, how did I miss this! :eek: What a fright that must have been. :grouphug: and :grouphug: for Diamond girl. I hope you at least yelled stuff at the guy as he was running away, the B@stard. These people that try to make a fast buck by stealing pets, or stealing anything for a matter of fact, just make me sick. Get a freakin' job like the rest of the world does... geez. (I just want to pound their little faces in... does that make me a bad person?)

Spatx
October 8th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I'm still scared of someone trying to take Nova... Cody on the other hand... He may only be a 50lb dog, but he is very protective of his house and yard. No one would be able to even step foot near the gate without him sounding the alarm. Quite frankly, Cody is scary when he's mad, and he does not tolerate strangers. If someone tried to grab him, or force their way into my yard, they'd end up bitten. I feel better when Cody is outside with Nova, but I never leave them outside when I'm not home, and if I let them out I stay in the kitchen where the windows to the yard are.

It just comes down to the fact that I don't trust people, and don't ever want to risk my dogs being taken. I'm probably more paranoid because years and years ago my Grandma came to visit. She used to have a little terrier cross, and it was stolen right out of our yard. I live in the same house, but can't remember the incident since I was too young. I do however, remember when my friends mini poodle was stolen from their yard - she only lives a few blocks away.

It's scary, and sick that people could even think to take someones pet. :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
October 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Spatx - especially since she's so darn cute too!

Kai'smom
October 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
So sorry to hear what happened. Its a truly frightening experience. When Kai was a few months old and our boys were walking him, he had someone offer the boys a lot of money for him and want to take him there and then. He got quite aggresive with the boys and luckily it was on the beach and someone came to ask what was going on. My boys are teenagers and we live in a village, but there was a lot of building work going on and they think it was one of them on his lunch break sitting on the beach and took a chance. My friends 10 week old blonde labrador was stolen from their front yard when she was at the shops, someone scaled the fence and took her. Luckily he was selling her at the petrol station and a woman bought her for the equivelant of $10. She took her immediately to our vet and the vet had just spoken to my friend on the phone relating the theft. So thank god they were reunited. So I really feel for you, its not nice being afraid in your own home or for those you love. Furry or not. South Africa has a real poverty problem, and when someone sees a dog in your yard thats worth $500 or more and they can't feed their family and live in a squatter camp, you can see why it would be tempting. That doesnt make it right, dont get me wrong but its very prevalent here, so i know what you are going through and really feel for you.:grouphug:

Diamondsmum
October 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I agree.. When Duke :rip: was still here 2 summers ago

Someone tried to break into house. Duke was 110lbs but wouldnt let ANYONE in if we didnt say ok. (even when we were away our friend came to fed & walk him & took Duke 20minutes to realize that it was ok. Our friend nearly didnt come in.

We had to go to baseball & I had left a pot of pasta sauce on the stove from dinner when we came home pasta sauce was ALL over kitchen walls, floor, ceiling & there was a handprint in it above my slider door & footprints in it on floor . (We figred to stop Duke from attacking they grabbed the pasta sauce & threw it lol) & swung from my patio door out & jumped over fence pasta sauce all over it too. Duke tried to clean it up but well.. he was covered in it too. LOL I always laff when I think of the story)

Nothing was taken (we dont think the person got past the kitchen)

I always felt safe when I was alone..

ashtoreth
October 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
OMG I would have went ballistic if someone tried that with Titus. I'm not the most violent person there is, but if someone tried to steal my dog, I think there's no words to describe how violent I'll be :S Mess with me, sure, but stay away from my family, and especially my dog, my boyfriend can take care of his own ;)

Bina
October 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
What a horrible ordeal......dog nappers must be very pathetic people.:frustrated:
Years ago when I adopted a large male 4 yr old Bouvier des Flandres, the owner said "Don't be fooled by anyone." When I asked him to explain, he said someone had stopped their car in front of his house when he had his Bouvs playing on the lawn, they asked him a question, and when he went inside to get the phone, he came back out and they were driving off with one of his Bouvs in the car.:eek:
We would think that not many ppl would steal such an imposing dog as a Bouv, but they do.
I'm glad that Diamond is safe!!

krdahmer
October 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Aw Duke was quite the protector! :lovestruck::angel:

Heard anything from the police yet? How about neighbours? Maybe someone saw the guy get into a car or something? How are you doing? :grouphug: (as I'm sure Diamond is fine, getting lots of extra lovings!)

Diamondsmum
October 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
hiya krd

this has been 1 heck of a poopy week.--

I am doing ok Neighbours seen nothing, cops think he will lay-low as flyers are up.

*sigh I still seem on edge until he is caught but I also am trying not to stress too much for fear Diamond will pick up on it.

krdahmer
October 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well that was a scare for sure! It's natural to stress out after that! But you know there are lurking :evil: people now, so I'm sure nothing like that will happen again! I'm just still so shocked that they are so bold as to climb over your fence with you just feet away in the house... I mean that's ballsy.

t.pettet
October 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I had to get rid of the gate because too many people would forget to close it upon entering or leaving and the furbabies would get loose but also because a cop friend advised to have an inaccessible yard as at that time there were alot of dogs being stolen (3 yrs. ago) in the area. The only way someone can get into the yard now is through my back door off the kitchen. Atleast when I'm in the house I know they're secure in their yard without constantly having to check that no one is in there trying to steal them through a gate and thankfully they bark if anyone approaches the back.

rainbow
October 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
OMG, Diamondsmum :eek: .....that was scary. :grouphug:

I hope the cops are able to catch the jerk. :fingerscr

I've always been paranoid of morons like this too. We have chains and padlocks on our gates but I still am scared if someone came along with bolt cutters. :o

mona_b
October 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Diamond being a sweet little puppy fluffball can't scare away people with bad intentions.

Soooo very true.

This guy has probably moved on to another area by now.That's what they usually do...:evil:

A good thing to teach is not to take treats/food from anyone else unless you give the ok.I have tought this to all my dogs.This is what people will do to lure the dog to them if the dog isn't a barker when it comes to strangers.

JennieV
October 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
DM, thankfully, it didn't go further than that, but it was still quite frightening, I am sure!Keep your eyes open and don't let Diamond out of your sight, just in case. Especially since she is young, purebred and not yet fixed...The freak may be back and if he is - make sure to raise lots of noise, scream, yell, curse - whatever it is...
I guess I am kind of lucky, Sparky is very untrusting of everyone...Even if they are friends, or have a treat, he growls and backs away. But also he is never alone or unsupervised anyway.
I hope the creep will be caught soon and that it will never ever happen again.