Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What times do you feed your puppy/dog?

Mgue
October 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I know each dog/family is different, but I'm just wondering when everyone feeds their puppy/dog?

I feed Ozzy twice a day, as recommended by my vet and the obedience trainer. I feed him around 10am and around 6:30pm.

He gets more food from treats throughout the day since we're training him, but we mostly give him kibble as treats (we reduce his meals to account for this). We also use the chicken jerky tenders from Costco that are made of chicken breast fillet, or put peanut butter in a Kong.

So, what times do you feed your dog?

luckypenny
October 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Around 8:30am and 6pm. Sometimes earlier in the morning depending on work schedules.

clm
October 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM
When the boys were under a year old, I used to feed them twice a day. Around 5:00am and 7:00pm. They stopped wanting their morning food (I got tired of throwing it out), so now they just get fed once a day around 7ish in the evening.

Cindy

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
im going to be getting a dog soon, and we have decided to feed in the morning around 8-9 and then again in the evening aroung 5-6.

bendyfoot
October 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
7:30 am and 7:30 pm for all critters. Jaida's the only one who will sometimes skip breakfast.

mastifflover
October 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I free feed and there is always food in Clarks bowl but if he does finish it all up early in the day I will give him a little more. But that rarely happens unless he has been playing really hard.

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I feed less in the morning which is 6 am, and then I feed at 6 pm of a larger portion.

I ensure that I do the following even on weekends, this regulates their body's digestive system and for the dogs it keeps them pretty much routine.

TulipRoxy
October 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
My two get a kong filled with various goodies in the AM and their regular raw meal around 5pm.

kandy
October 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I feed at about 7 am and then again between 6 and 7 pm. If the dogs are acting hungry, I will give them a little bit of kibble for lunch on the weekends, but otherwise the same feeding schedule.

mona_b
October 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I free feed

Me too.But Tron will get a can in the am and a can in the pm.I don't feed dry exclusively.But his dry is left out for him to nibble on.

I do shift work,so depending on the shift,my "sitter" will feed him.He gets dropped off.

Stacer
October 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
DH will feed Skylar before he goes to work at around 7:45am then I feed her when I get home from work, after she's had her walk around 4pm. She always seems to be on the prowl for food though :)

otter
October 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Molly gets breakfast at about 7:30 am and dinner about 7:30pm - often she saves her breakfast for lunch though :D I think she doesn't like to eat alone so she waits for me to come home for lunch before eating (I leave her breakfast as i'm leaving for work). We vary a fair bit on weekend.

Mgue
October 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Right now, someone is home with Ozzy during the day and evening. Come December, we'll both work days so Ozzy will be left alone for most of the day.

When you feed your dogs breakfast, how long do you wait after feeding before you can take them outside and then put them in their crates for the morning/day?

I'm trying to figure out how much time to build in to the morning routine to allow for taking him out first thing, getting ready, feeding him, potty, etc.

Thanks!

mona_b
October 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well since Ozzy is used to having someone home during the day,and come Dec you both will be on days,you will have to slowly start getting him into a new schedual.

Well my times all very cause of shift work.But when I get up,I'll let Tron out for his buisness.He comes in,I'll feed him(can) then do what I have to do.Before I'm ready to leave,I will take him for a quick walk.We get home,I make sure there is fresh water and there is some dry left out. and I leave.I've never crated any of my dogs..He also had free run of the house at 5 1/2 months,along with his cousin Yukon(:rip:).

What time will you be starting?

Mgue
October 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I could be up around 6am to take him out to do his business. I have to leave for work by 7:15am.

It sounds like you recommend feeding him and then getting ready before I take him outside again. Right now, we take Ozzy out right after we feed him because he's still being housetrained. If I fed him and then got ready, I'd worry that he'd have to go before I could take him out again.

I should note... I live in a condo so I have to bring him down 3 flights of stairs and to the park next door to eliminate. So if I feed him once I'm ready, I can take him out right away.

kandy
October 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Does Ozzy eliminate right after his meal? If so, then getting ready, then feeding him and taking him out should work. If not, then you need to keep track of how much time passes between when he eats and eliminates so that you'll know.

Because I have a dog door, this isn't an issue for me and my dogs aren't crate trained.

mona_b
October 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
It sounds like you recommend feeding him and then getting ready before I take him outside again.

No.My suggestion was to take him out when you get up.He "will" need to eliminate(especially #2 because of his dinner the night before;))..Feed him then get ready.Then take him out for his pee.I highly doubt he will go poop again.But you never know.It usually takes a few hours for the food to digest in his system before he needs to go again.:)

I know I don't have to go right after I eat....:D

Mgue
October 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Right now, we feed him about the same time he needs to go out again anyway. He goes every few hours.

Here's the drill: I take him out around 6:45am for #1 & #2. The next time he goes out is around 10am, so he gets fed right before that and then taken out. He gets out again around 1pm, then 4pm, he gets fed around 6:30pm and then taken out, then again around 9:30, and around midnight.

So for Ozzy, he does eliminate right after eating but that's because it's been a while since he last went.

If I took him out first thing, then fed him... maybe he wouldn't have to go out again and could wait until after I got ready. Interesting, but something we just haven't tried based on the schedule we keep him on.

Kai'smom
October 10th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Interesting topic this. Our trainer at puppy school told us to feed him three times a day until he was 12 months old. When trying to potty train for inside sleepers (which he was) to take away all food and water after 7pm. It worked pretty well. However three times a day is not always doable if you have no-one at home during the day. Luckily i had a domestic thats there for the lads coming home from school so he was never alone. Once he was able to keep his legs crossed for the night i left water out, as i have to admit i was never comfortable with taking away water - even for night time. But it did work.