Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to cure the "fake outs"

im_nomad
October 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
( I hope there is no frowned upon posting limit, as i'm new and posting up a storm ! )

The same little critter who quite often brings a lot of joy into my life, has me driven nuts and rising my blood pressure lately with the "fake outs" (and i need to vent because I just had two fake outs in a row over the past hour while I am attempting to do paperwork). And by fake outs, I mean the too frequent need to go outside, only to do NOTHING except stand there or perhaps perform a few calisthenics on the patio. I stand there like an idiot in the doorway with the "go pee" command over and over, to which she'll do the pace fake out, and then go back to the stare fest at the back yard grass or what not. And i'm standing there thinking to myself about how she was acting as if she'd been bursting two minutes prior.

Now before anyone chimes in with, aww just let her be outside....she is not really an outdoor dog, and guaranteed if i go off and do something else, she'll bark to get in, only to resume the pace and fake again when i come near. Plus, it's October and getting COLD here now....I have about as much interest in standing in a cold doorway watching the dog do nothing as, well...you catch my drift. She is healthy and has no other issues with "going". To me it seems as if she's simply idle and bored.

She didn't used to do this, and it's something developed over the past several months it seems. My response to the fake outs (aside from fuming), has been to make her come back inside if she has not done anything within five minutes or so, or if she has not responded to the "go pee"s. Problem is, she then sometimes wants to go out again in about a half hour, and because I don't ever know if she REALLY has to go, I let her out.

How do I break her of this? :frustrated:

MommaKat
October 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
( I hope there is no frowned upon posting limit, as i'm new and posting up a storm ! )

Nope, you should see the amount of posts by some folks names (a lot are in the thousands :laughing: )

Now before anyone chimes in with, aww just let her be outside....she is not really an outdoor dog, and guaranteed if i go off and do something else, she'll bark to get in, only to resume the pace and fake again when i come near

You won't get much of that here, as far as I know this is a pro indoor dog forum :thumbs up A lot of folks dogs (including my own) do not like to be outside on their lonesome.

As for your situation I'm sure someone more dog savvy than me has a better idea but have you thought about putting a leash on her and walking her around on your lawn to go potty? My Dad does this with his Malamute because she is such a Diva and won't go potty on a tie-out :rolleyes:. Good luck and welcome to the forums :goodvibes:

tenderfoot
October 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, these are fake outs. But don't get frustrated it just means that you did a good job teaching her to ask to go out. Now you have to place a limit on her as to how often and when she gets to go out. More than likely she is bored and just wants you to go out and play with her.

If you know she doesn't need to potty (ie she just came in from outside), then you can tell her 'no beg' and pressure her out of your zone. Get up from your chair and move towards her as you say 'no beg'. You might have to repeat this a few times until she gives up. But if she comes back to you 30 minutes later you might want to give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she does need to pee. Typcially you will learn over time when she is sincere or not by her body language and energy.

Another option is to put her on the leash and have her stay with you for 15-30 minutes while you finish what she interupted and then go out with her and play for a bit. Little breaks in the day help everyone feel better.

The key is that you control the outings. You will learn to read her better so that the real needs are understood, and the 'fake outs' are recognized as well.

Hope that helps.

bendyfoot
October 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I agree with tenderfoot and think that more exercise would be useful here. If she's tired and has been worked physically and mentally she's going to be napping, not pestering you for something to do (it sounds like the equivalent of a kid saying "moooooooom, I'm booooooored!") A tired dog is a good dog. Also, you should try to learn your dog's normal potty habits. I know that Gracie, for example, will go out first thing in the morning for one poo and two pees. She'll have another pee before I leave for work, one poo and one pee when I get home, and two more pees before bedtime. Anything more or less than that sets off flags that something's wrong. If you know the "schedule" you will better be able to determine if you're getting a fakeout or the real deal.

Bina
October 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The "schedule" thing works here.
Cleo-dog (now aged 14) goes out 5 times daily unless she is sick or something.
8:00 am....Noon.....3:30......7:00......11:00pm
Feedings are at 8:00 am and 3:30 pm thereby leaving lots of time for pooing before bed.

Soter
October 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
You say that a short while just after you have taken your dog out, she is showing signs of wanting to go again (but doesn't actually go)
make a schedule to take her out at certain times of the day like every 4 hours and do just that. If she shows signs of wanting to go at any other times, ignore her, and only take here out at the specific times that you want.

If she shows signs of wanting to go and then actually goes in the house
(so you know it isn't a fake-out)
then re-arrange your schedule to suit the times that she needs, not wants to go out.

bendyfoot
October 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
ETA: Jaida does this "revolving door" trick if she' hasn't had enough exercise that day....