Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick little stray

Frankiefox
October 4th, 2008, 10:50 PM
We've been feeding a stray cat for about six months. She's a very sweet and affectionate little girl so I was going to adopt her at the end of the month when I move but today , she showed up with a hole the size of a quarter and about half an inch deep full of pus at the base of her tail. Not knowing what it was, we rushed her over to the SPCA and found out it was an abcess. The SPCA said that they can take her but due to a limited budget they may or may not be able to give her antibiotics. I have a two part question: Can abcesses heal with no antibiotics? and also does the SPCA give animals a fair chance to recover or do they usually uthanize the sick? I'm worried about the little kitty and didn't want to bring her to the shelter for fear of them putting her down but I had no idea what was wrong with her or how complicated or expensive the situation may have been and didn't want to leave her outside for the infection to get worse.....

Frenchy
October 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
and also does the SPCA give animals a fair chance to recover or do they usually uthanize the sick?

It depends on the spca , and it's usually case by case. I don't know what your situation is but if you could spare some money , maybe tell them to do surgery and help pay , they would give her antibiotics :thumbs up

kathryn
October 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Antibiotics are generally super cheap. I mean, like clavamox is something I could buy with some spare change (where I live atleast). Uhhh, anyway you can buy some antibiotics off them and treat yourself? If this is not a no-kill shelter and they are saying they can't even afford anti-biotics, she probably has a good chance of being euthanized if you sign her over.

It's probably better to treat the abscess now. If it gets any worse, then it just gets more and more expensive to treat.

:offtopic: Oh, any chance you can get her spayed if she's not already? :cat: (I have to bug everyone about this LOL)

Frenchy
October 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Antibiotics are generally super cheap. I mean, like clavamox is something I could buy with some spare change (where I live atleast).

I must move ! I just bought 3 weeks worth of Clavamox this morning and it cost me $117.00 + taxes , and it's for a small dog. :frustrated:

Frankiefox
October 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well most things I'm reading online are saying that abscesses will clear up with antibiotics and as long as they are drained (which it is starting to on it's own) and flushed regularly with antibacterial washes and treated with peroxide a few times a day. So not really surgery.
What I'm hoping for is that they can get her on the road to recovery and up for adoption so I can go back and adopt her.
I told them that I DID want her so they gave me her ID number to make inquiries on her progress and all that.
Had I known it wasn't too much of a complicated situation, I would have just taken her to the vet and tried to take care of her myself but for all I knew, I could have been some super costly problem which I would not have been able to afford for sure.
Really now I'm just worried about them putting her to sleep, she's a very nice little cat and it would break my heart if that were to happen...

Frankiefox
October 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Ya I always spay/neuter my pets and don't do the outdoor cat thing.
We would have brought her into the house already if it weren't for the fact that there are already 3 cats in here (one of which is old and grumpy)..hence why I was planning on taking her when I move.
So..I've already signed her over to them but I would take her back sick if need be to avoid her getting put down and the vet I go to is pretty good for prices...

badger
October 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Good plan to follow up on her, her situation there sounds kind of precarious. I once took a cat to the SPCA and arranged for them to call me if there was any chance of it being euthanized. Two days later they called and said he's caught rhino (a cold!) at the shelter and was on the list. I was there as fast as the metro could take me.
Sad that something so simple - cleaning a wound and two weeks of pills - would stretch their budget to that extent.
I do think that antibiotics are a must for abcesses. They'll also take care of any other bugs circulating in her system.
See if you can squeeze a dewormer tab or two out of them before they cut her loose ;)
Thanks for caring. If you keep her separated from the other cats, at least until she's spayed, integration shouldn't be a huge problem :fingerscr

RIGHTS FOR STRAYS!