Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

from sudbury ontario in need of help

breeka
October 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I rescued a jack russell terrier. Her owners passed away and there son couldnt keep her. over the years i have had the son come over and visit wth nuggy. Nuggy was born in april 1996. She has become ill old age. This will be the very first time i have ever had an animal get really sick, and for me to make the decision. I have 2 kids and i'm uncertain if passing away at home is a good idea,or taking her to the vet and having her pass away there? she has cataracs
a growth on her leg that wasnt there a month ago she is walking into walls i have to show her were her food is and treats. now sometimes she lays on the couch and if you go near her she will growl and nip at you. I dont now how to make this decison. I feel like i'm the one who is killing her. should i leave her and let life takes it own time or do i speed it up? help i've been crying for days i just dont know what to do?:yell:

otter
October 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe there is something a vet can do to help. If you don't know what is wrong and just let her go on, that's not a very good option. Take her to the vet, they are usually quite helpful in helping you weigh your options if nothing else.
Go to the vet, PLEASE.

It's a tough time, many of us have been there, don't hesitate to ask for help and advice (after you've talked to the vet). A big hug for you :grouphug:

erykah1310
October 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I second a vet visit.
Passing away at home isnt the greatest option, they could suffer needlessly.
If you and a vet decide that the time has come, its best to let them go with their dignity.
Hang in there, we have all been there and it never gets any easier.
Feel free to talk as much as you like.
{{hugs))

Gail P
October 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM
What you have to do is think about what is best for Nuggy. What is her quality of life like? If we are in tune with our pets they usually are able to let us know when the bad days are outweighing the good, and then we know it is time to let them go. If she is in a lot of pain or distress you have to ask yourself, is it fair to her to prolong that to let life take it's course? Or would it be kinder to her to put her to rest and give her a peaceful passing? If right now you feel she is still enjoying a reasonable quality of life maybe you can work at keeping her comfortable, help her learn to deal with her blindness and always keep in mind that she may be grouchy and not want to be bothered when on the couch (and watch the kids around her - you didn't mention their ages), and prepare them for the idea that her time is drawing near. Or if her quality of life has significantly decreased, you can explain to the kids that she is in pain and that although it is a sad decision that it is ultimately the kindest gift you can give her, to end the pain and bring her peace. It is always a tough decision, one that over the years I've had to make on several occasions and yet I find that when I know making that decision is the most humane thing I can do for my pet it brings me peace as well. Sure I miss my pet like crazy, but I knowing that I did right by them at the end helps a lot.

breeka
October 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
she has an appointment this week. Today all she does is cry. how does it work
with the vet do they pressure you? i dont wnat to be pressured.

Melinda
October 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
a good vet will give you the pro's and cons, he'll help you decide but in the end the choice is yours and yours alone........please listen to the dog.....she'll let you know when its time and we'll all be here for you.

erykah1310
October 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
They dont pressure you, which vet will you be going to?
Most of the Sudbury vets are great and respectful at these times. You don't have to make a descision there either.

Stellasmom
October 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi from Sudbury as well (well, actually in Val Therese in the Valley). I am so sorry that you are having this experience, what a shame. I too agree with all other posters and think a trip to the doctor is in order to have a physical examination to try to establish what is going on. Only with that knowledge can you make an educated decision for you and your dog. Right now you are only guessing/speculating the problem. The vet should not pressure you to do what you don't want to (although they are only human and have their own personal opinion as to what you should do! ). A good vet will provide objective information, pros and cons and guide you in YOUR decision.

Good luck
Kelly

breeka
October 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM
how do i help her??? all she does when she looks at me or anyone else is cry..
my kids are 7 and 11 boy girl. i have a cat tina do other animals sense when others are sick? my cat keeps going to nuggy usally tina doent like nuggy and stays away. but now she stays close?usually nuggy barks at her and now she doesnt? :sad::confused:

otter
October 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
she has an appointment this week. Today all she does is cry. how does it work
with the vet do they pressure you? i dont wnat to be pressured.
Good to hear you've got a vet visit in the works. Vets don't usually pressure, they give you the facts and allow you to make the decision yourself. It's hard for them to see an animal go too and they definitely don't like to see pets suffer or be put down needlessly. I talked to my vet alot about his feelings about when an animal should be put to sleep after I had my Chloe PTS and I was surprised by how emotional it was for them too - he said the hardest thing was that people expect them (vets) to tell them what to do. That's an impossible burden for a vet so, pressuring you into doing something is the farthest thing from most vets agendas.

Gail P summarized things very well - it's a tough road but some soul searching and a real examination of her quality of life will help you put what the vet has to say into perspective. I wish there was someway to make this easier :grouphug:

Gail P
October 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
You said you have an appointment this week but didn't say when. If she's constantly crying she is in distress and you should call the vet ASAP and get her in, if not an emergency call over the weekend, at least first thing Monday morning. There may be something they can do to help her feel better, or they may just help you with your decision, but it sounds like right now she needs some kind of help. Comfortable, pain-free dogs don't cry all the time. Has her sight suddenly gotten worse, could she be crying just because she's confused/fearful that she can't see, or does she seem to be in pain?

Tundra_Queen
October 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi
I'm so sorry about your pup. But if u are worried about her walking into walls...spray furniture polish on the wall at nose level, she will learn to follow the smell and walk along the wall and not bang into as many things.

Do u talk to her when u are walking up to the couch, so that she knows who it is and how close u are? She might just get scared if u don't and just sit on the couch without letting her know u are there.

Just because the vet gives you their opinion doesn't mean u have to follow it. Just take your time to make whatever decision u chose to make.

I know it is hard, it always ripped my heart out whenever I had to make the decision.

Debbie

t.pettet
October 4th, 2008, 09:33 PM
This poor senior needs an immediate vet visit not one 'sometime this week'.

breeka
October 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
nuggy had her vet visist was on 10/9/08. it wasnt good news. 3 days after the visit she started to get a lump on her rib cage and it was growing it wasnt there on the vet visit. its new. she went to the vet again today and the vet said that
shes not sure what it is but they can put a needle in it extract some fluid have it tested and then have it lanced. all for 800.00. on the first visit she was taken off hard dog food and switched to science diet soft food no more dog treats due to her lossing teeth. i tried to get a loan for nuggy to cover expenses but i cant get it. right now i'm sick i have pneumonia im weak and nuggy stays bye my side
all day and all night. its just a matter of time.

i have done everything i can and i resent any implication that i have done less then that. it hurts to see some posts that i dont care. if i didnt i wouldnt be here, on this forum looking for support.
:pray::ca::fingerscr

Tundra_Queen
October 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I'm so sorry that nuggy has another lump and that u aren't well.

I read somewhere on this forum something that someone posted about some vets having a plan, where the pet owner can pay so much every month.

Can someone help me out here? I forget what it is called. (Sorry, I'm having a very bad senior moment.)

Is nuggy still crying or has she stopped since she is able to be with u more since you've been sick?

Debbie

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
I feel like i'm the one who is killing her. should i leave her and let life takes it own time or do i speed it up? help i've been crying for days i just dont know what to do?:yell:

:grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry you are sick. Does your vet think your pup is in pain? If so, IMO, you are not killing your pup, you are doing the most unselfish thing you can do, relieving this pup from horrible pain.

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
:grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry you are sick. Does your vet think your pup is in pain? If so, IMO, you are not killing your pup, you are doing the most unselfish thing you can do, relieving this pup from horrible pain.

I so agree with L4H. Our thoughts are with you.

breeka
October 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
my vet wont do payment plans. since i have been sick she sticks to me like glue.
she crys less now. i'm not sure why? maybe because im crying for both of us.we will see what happens in the next week. thanks