Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat not meowing and eating

cynlee
October 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Our 18 year-old cat has stopped eating and meowing. We have no illusions and know that this is not a good sign. However, on the smallest of chances, has anybody else experienced this being something other than the inevitable. He is going to the Vet tomorrow.

Thank You.

sugarcatmom
October 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
There are lots of reasons why cats stop eating, many of which can be easily fixed. Could be a dental issue or constipation or even just a hairball, etc. How has your cat's health been otherwise? Has he had regular check-ups in his senior years?

Have you tried tempting him with things to eat other than cat food? Plain meat baby food (no onions) is a good one to try. Also canned salmon (low sodium). Slices of lightly boiled chicken breast. Scrambled eggs. If there is an absolute favourite treat of his, even if it's junkfood, now would be the time to offer it. Other than that, the vet is the best place to figure out what's going on. Many cats live into their 20s, so don't despair just yet! :grouphug:

Winston
October 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
What does your kitty eat? If your feeding soft food I would put some water in it to make it more diluted,.he may find that more attractive. Can you entice him to eat with some chicken stock or tuna juice? I hope all goes well at the vets! Keep us posted! :thumbs up

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
October 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi

When Wilbur stopped eating a few years ago, he was about 1 or 2 years old and lost a bunch of weight, we finally found out that he had inflammed bowel disease. It took the vet a while to figure out what was wrong with him. But he was giving meds and has been in good health since. (he now weighs 15.4lbs) He is also on special food.

I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong with your cat and give him meds to make him better! It's very upsetting when our furkids are sick. :sad:

Debbie