Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cosmetic surgery on pets banned

sublimereality
October 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Concerns raised about where breeders will go to get procedures done now

New Brunswick veterinarians have voted to ban cosmetic surgery such as tail bobbing, dew claw removal and ear cropping by their members.

Association members approved the ban at their recent annual general meeting.

It's a move that's raising some concerns among dog breeders in the province.

But Dr. Jim Berry of the Douglas Animal Hospital said there's no reason for those procedures. He has long counselled customers against putting their pets through the pain of a procedure recommended by some breed standards set by groups.

There's evidence that the procedures hurt animals and can lead to long-term pain.

"Puppies cry when it's done," said Berry, a past-president of the New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association's representative on the provincial association's board.

"What we're talking about here is cosmetic surgery. The definition of that is an alteration for purely cosmetic purposes that has no medical or health benefits for the animal."

Dwain McLean is a member of Fredericton Kennel Club, and he's also the Canadian Kennel Club's director for New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

"Our club was disappointed that the NBVMA even proposed and then passed such a proposal without consulting breeders," he said Thursday.

"We would hope that the decision of the veterinarians would not force breeders to attempt these things at home or have to go outside.''

Tail bobbing and dew claw removal must be carried out when puppies are between three and five days of age, he said.

Having the procedure done by a veterinarian in the province is the safest option.

"That's one of the reasons we're going to a veterinary hospital, to have it done in safe, sanitary standards with a veterinarian there," said McLean, who breeds American cockerspaniel, Yorkshire terriers, and Labrador retrievers.

He said it's his understanding the animals have a higher threshold for pain in the early days of life.

Breeders are passionate about their dogs and shouldn't be painted as acting cruelly, he said.

He noted that an exception to the rules has been made to remove the claws on domestic cats.

Berry said that's because there are concerns about the abandonment and euthanization of cats that aren't declawed.

He said he suspects individuals will have to travel farther to find veterinarians willing to perform the procedures.

He said he hopes the group's move will have an impact on other jurisdictions.

"Personally, what I hope happens is that other veterinary associations pick up on this and do the same," Berry said, noting that in many countries the practices are banned.

Dr. Alice Crook, co-ordinator of Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Centre at the Atlantic Veterinary College in Charlottetown, said New Brunwsick vets are taking the fore.

"I think that the NBVMA is showing real leadership in this area.

"One of the main reasons I'm excited about it is that many people don't know that many of the breeds we see with short tails, actually are born with long tails."

:thumbs up :thumbs up What a great step forward!

article found on www.canadaeast.com

sugarcatmom
October 4th, 2008, 01:26 AM
He noted that an exception to the rules has been made to remove the claws on domestic cats.

WTF??? Seriously?? :rolleyes: :loser:

growler~GateKeeper
October 4th, 2008, 01:36 AM
The declawing of cat still being allowed is ridiculous :wall: and I have to say in some instances the removal of dew claws on dogs is not always for cosmetic purposes. If you have a field or water hunter/retriever, a police dog etc there is a high chance of an adult dog ripping the dew claws & requiring painful surgery to remove them where the bone is involved. As 3-5 day old puppies the bone has not actually grown in that spot yet. :shrug:

erykah1310
October 4th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I agree, they should have left dew claw removal for dogs and abolished declawing cats.

I'm not a fan of cropping and docking honestly, but this is a little extreme, the breeders will just go outside of province or do it themselves unfortunately.
I really hate when things are banned with out consulting the public. I really feel that the way to stop the cropping and docking is by breed standards changing to reflect what the dog looks like as born. Not after this and that surgery.

chico2
October 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
OMG,and mutilating cats is ok:yell::yell:I suppose cats are not a great concern,not as important as dogs:sad:
The pain is the same in any animal:wall:

hazelrunpack
October 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
If they don't think that an older dog with a damaged dewclaw doesn't cry, they obviously haven't had to deal with one. :rolleyes: I'm in the 'allow canine dewclaw removal, ban feline declawing' camp. I'm kind of surprised that a body consisting of vets recommended the opposite. :shrug:

Dorothea
October 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm in the 'allow canine dewclaw removal, ban feline declawing' camp too.:thumbs up
Dorothea

TulipRoxy
October 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM
OK, so its ok to amputate the first joint of cats, but its not ok to remove a totally useless, possibly dangerous nail in dogs?? WTF

rainbow
October 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
:eek: This is just so wrong. :wall:

rainbow
October 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I just sent them an email with my thoughts...

http://www.dah.ca/public/jpage/1/p/Home/content.do

chico2
October 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Rainbow,I only get the Animal Hospital when I click on that site:shrug:

14+kitties
October 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Chico - If you look at the left hand side of the page it has a list of options. One of them is contact. If you click it there is their address and their email address at the bottom.

They will be hearing from me too after I get back from work. :wall:

chico2
October 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Thank's,got it! Have a good day at work!

ancientgirl
October 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm really sickened by this constant double standard. So it's okay to have cats declawed? The pain suffering is still felt! What? Like cats have no feelings? They won't suffer long term effects?:mad:

Love4himies
October 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I can't believe it, is it because declawing brings in more money????? Or that cats don't count when it comes to pain for them???

ancientgirl
October 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
L4H, it makes me angry that many times I see cats as thought to be a nuisance animal. Like they don't deserve the same rights as a dog.

AmericanBullMom
October 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Omg this upsets me, as a dog AND cat owner...
#1... removing a cat's claws is awful... and purely for the owners benefit.
#2... Dewclaws, are half the time NOT ATTACHED to the foot... they just kind of flop around..and are just ASKING to be ripped off...SUCH a simple removal...
#3...Patrón's tail was docked by the breeder, and was VERY slow to heal... I wish they'd have left it long...but it IS a breed standard in some breeds, and if these breeders cant get it done by vets, they are just going to go do it themselves and the animals are at risk.

jealma
October 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Ok I"m a little lost on this one. I did not have Abby's dew claws removed because they were tight to her paw,, but if they had of been dangling I would have requested them removed for her safety,, so as not to catch and rip them out. I would have had nothing to do with my prefering them gone. I thought that removing them if need be was a good thing as a pet owner to do if it was nessasary. Note she still has her's but only because it was not nessasary..... but I would have done it in a heart beat if it had of been a hasard to her in any way?????? Am I mis informed on Dew Claws?

ashtoreth
October 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Alright, not saying I agree with any cosmetic surgery on animals, I dont have a cat (too alergic, beside my rat would freak out and titus seems to enjoy chasing them, so, bad ieda ;) but I'm not really happy about the declawing ideas. If you like your furnitures, get a scratch pad ;)

But I was talking to some people at work about this article, and opinions are debated pretty intensely on the matter (geek can debate on other subjects than computers and games, how nice to know) And then someone said "It's stupid that they ban that, but not fixing, castration doesn't help the animals health, its just to avoid trouble" (now I didn't get into that can of worms, because I'm getting all my pets fixed, but yea...)

He might have a point on it being hypocritical...

AmericanBullMom
October 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Ok I"m a little lost on this one. I did not have Abby's dew claws removed because they were tight to her paw,, but if they had of been dangling I would have requested them removed for her safety,, so as not to catch and rip them out. I would have had nothing to do with my prefering them gone. I thought that removing them if need be was a good thing as a pet owner to do if it was nessasary. Note she still has her's but only because it was not nessasary..... but I would have done it in a heart beat if it had of been a hasard to her in any way?????? Am I mis informed on Dew Claws?

No I'm sure you're fine. patrón has dew claws in the front, but the rear ones are removed usually right after birth. If a dog is used to hunt, dew claws and often be ripped off, and its way more painful after thye are older than to remove them while they are still babies. Some dogs have dew claws that arent really attached... they are just sort of hanging there...its kinda weird...
In Patróns case, all his brothers and sisters were used as hog dogs, (horrible sport and THAT should be banned) so they dock the tails too... the less apendages the less a hog can rip off...

growler~GateKeeper
October 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Jelma The dew claws mentioned are the ones on the back legs that can be ripped if left on. Usually the front ones are tight enough to the leg that they are fine. The front dew claws are generally left as is.

However, small dogs generally don't do any damage to them, unless you have a hunter/terrier that you are using for hunting/flushing birds/small ground mammals, they are fine to be left on. Larger dogs like labs, GSD etc especially working dogs seeing eye dogs, field hunters, police dogs, search & rescue dogs or dogs that are out hiking in the woods, even dogs playing w/other dogs they are at higher risk of ripping a back dew claw.

A girl I went to college with had a Pyrenees mix who had double dew claws on both back legs, they had been left intact - everytime she took him hiking she had to check his legs very carefully, one time he had a small tear in one of the claws, it was repaired but left intact. Very painful when they rip :sad: