Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OK...call me stupid!

mjs
October 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
My wife put my cats amitriptyline in our medicine cabinet, its a nice little blue pill just like my diazapam...I went into the bathroom without my glasses on and accidentally took one by mistake. From the research I have just done that drug is used for people as well in the form of Elavil, etc...Is this going to cause me any problems?

aslan
October 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
well amitriptyline is an anti-depressant and diazepam is an anti anxiety. i might suggest you call one of those telephone nurse things and ask. I don't think there would be a problem but i'm not a doctor. better safe than sorry.

hazelrunpack
October 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
If you can call a pharmacy or Poison Control, you'll get a lot more reliable information than we can give you. Most of us are not vets or doctors.

Make sure you have the dosage handy when you call!

Good luck!

mjs
October 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
OK...thank you. Do you know if pet pills are basically the same ingredients that would be in a pill for humans? I am not too worried about the effects and what it is for...just if it is composed of any materials that would not be used in a pill for people.

aslan
October 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
it would be the same ingredients alot of pet meds are. just different dosages.

hazelrunpack
October 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
You might want to ask if it will interact with your other meds :shrug: Some drugs are contraindicated for use together.

krdahmer
October 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I would call... those nurse lines are open 24/7... or call a pharmacy if one is open near you, pharmacists would know better about medications.

Also... maybe move the cat pills somewhere else! ;)

Schwinn
October 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
As long as your cats don't get their little blue pill mixed up with the *ahem* other little blue pill!

And I'm sure you've already called someone, but I believe the ingredients are fairly innocuous to humans. You might want to stay away from birds and mice for a few days though, just in case...;)

(This happens more than people realize, BTW. I've met a few people who've complained about how Preparation H tubes are too similar to toothpaste tubes...)

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
As long as your cats don't get their little blue pill mixed up with the *ahem* other little blue pill!

And I'm sure you've already called someone, but I believe the ingredients are fairly innocuous to humans. You might want to stay away from birds and mice for a few days though, just in case...;)

(This happens more than people realize, BTW. I've met a few people who've complained about how Preparation H tubes are too similar to toothpaste tubes...)

OMG - you would not want BenGay mistaken for Prep H...ok off topic, but my imagination started to get the best of me....good lord!