Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Research Paper

Sarah1709
October 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad you're here, because I have a question that I'm hoping someone could help me with. I am a criminal justice major, working on a research paper for one of my courses. The paper is due in 1 1/2 weeks, so I need help fast! :D We are supposed to be writing on some issue of criminal justice we feel strongly about, and since I am an avid cat lover, I knew immediately what I wanted to do...tougher penalties for animal abusers! I have so far thought of the fact that animals are innocent, and trusting. This makes them especially vulnerable to attackers, and for no reason! Second, there is the obvious truth that people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse humans and go on to more violent crimes. But I need some proof of my claims! In other words, I need some reputable sites that have statitistics about what I'm talking about. If I say that people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people, I need a proven statistic! Does anyone have any links that I could find such info on?

Also, I would love to hear your ideas about WHY we should have tougher penalties! For an animal lover, it seems to be the only right thing to do, but to my professor, I'm going to have some pretty good reasons!

All ideas would be appreciated, nothing is too insignificant!:D

sugarcatmom
October 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi, and welcome to pets.ca! You might want to take a look at the Pet-Abuse (http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/abuse_connection.php) website to see what sort of info and links they have.

ownedbycats
October 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Are you Canadian or American? If Canadian, ANd I'm remembering my facts right, The laws on animal cruelty were created back in the late 1800s when many people still believed animals had no feelings(by that I mean they literally thoughtanimals couldn't feel pain). You might think about how our knowledge of animals and what they need and require has changed since the laws first went into effect. You might also cite exampples of puppy and kitten mills, and other animal neglect as examples of the current laws not working ( as well as the way food producers treat their animals, research labs doing unneccessary and cruel experiments, etc.)

Sarah1709
October 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
WOW! Thanks for the help!!:lightbulb: I really appreciate it!