Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Very Long Night!!!!!

Princesss04
July 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Okay I got home from work yesterday and Marshmellow was fine. So I took him over to my in-laws house so he could play with their dog. Than on the way home (9:30 p.m.) he actted like he was going to throw up so I pulled the car over and got him out and all he threw up was water foamy stuff. So I hurried home and he did it like 9 more times it all looked the same. All he wanted to do was lay around. So I hurried and called the vet that does emergency house calls and he was in the middle of two seasections (miss spelld) so he could not come over for a few hours. So he told me that it sounded like Parvo, he wanted to know if they had lose stoles and if they were bloody (I told him no) so he told me the big thing is to keep him alive until he could get there. So he told me to go out and buy Pedalite, and Milanta (spelling) and to give him 2-3 tablespoons of the ped. and 1 tablespoon of the Mil. and to keep this up all night. So I went and bought all that and an eyedropper and therm. babyfood, and yogurt. So I called the vet back at 11:00 (that was the last time he threw up) and he said he would be there as soon as he could but he had other things in line first. So I started the ped. and med. and took his temp. He did not throw up again until 2:30. And than at 3:00 he got up and went outside and had the poops (bloody) but he only went once. So I think the med. might have helped him there. So the vet called at 5:00 this morning. So Justin took him, the vet gave him medicine and told me to keep doing what I was and to watch him but he only gave him a 5% chance to make it. But you know what I am hanging on to that. He did get up and walk around once they got home and he will go out with me and go to the bathroom. He threw up on the way to the vet but not since than. He has not ate anything yet any ideas???? :confused: I will take all the help I can get I want him to live so bad. PLEASE. The lady called this morning that had the other dog and her dog is doing the same thing. Any ideas on what would give him a better chance of living? :confused:

glasslass
July 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM
I have no experience with Parvo. I think what you're doing for this poor little waif is so remarkable! I just hope that by adding this post of encouragement will also put it at the top of the new posts and other members will be able to help. :o

Goldenmom
July 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I also support you 100%!!! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Parvo...

Good luck and thanks for keeping us updated.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Princesss04
July 20th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Thank you for that it has been a long night. But, when I went home on my lunch break (hubby is there with him) he got up and came to me and wanted to walk around a little more. I think the big thing now is to keep him from throwing up everything. I am giving him Ped. every hour so we will see. So hubby will be there than he will leave for work when I get home. He has not went poop since last night so I guess that is good he is not in that stage of the Parvo so maybe we caught it fast enough to help him. Keep your fingers crossed and keep him in your prayers. I talked to the other lady that has the other dog and she got him to the vet first thing this morning (she was doing the ped and stuff like I was) but when she took hers the vet said that hers looked worse off than mine. So maybe it is going to pay off staying up and giving him med and stuff every hour last night. :D I felt so bad for waking him up when he was sleeping to take him out and give him Ped. in an eyedropper but I guess I would rather that than him not wake up at all so I am hoping for the best. :(

Luba
July 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM
My prayers and toughts are with you and this little life. Don't give up, any room for improvement and recovery is better then nothing.

Keep this dog away from others though, it's very very contageous. Poor darlin!

Princesss04
July 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I do not have any other dogs. I do have a cat though can cats get Parvo? He is UTD on all of his shots. Are you familiar with Parvo Luba?

buriedinfur
July 20th, 2004, 05:49 PM
OK - some of this is a repeat - but also read the other line on parvo for more info.

Your cat cannot catch it - whew!

The reason to give pedialyte is to combat dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Severe vomiting and diarrhea can cause the body to lose too much of one electrolyte, which can cause a lot of problems. If the puppy isn't vomiting all of the electrolytes up and is not having diarrhea like crazy that vastly improves his chances of doing well. Don't worry too much about food, fluids are what is vital - but when you do reintroduce it go with easy to digest things - like rice or even better things like gastro veterinary prescription diet.

If your puppy continues to vomit a lot talk to your vet about reglan, it is basically doggy gravol.

A possibility is that your pup may also have carona virus. Parvo and corona viruses have a lot of similar symptoms, and often occur together, but corona virus is a lot milder.

Remember that parvo can "shed" in the stool for up to 3 weeks after recovery - so don't take a newly recovered dog around where there may be other dogs for that time to prevent further outbreaks.

Good luck with your puppy - hope that things go great!
Michelle

melanie
July 20th, 2004, 06:22 PM
get some info on parvo staying in the soil. i have been told the bug can stay in the soil for up to 15yrs and can affect all non treated dog who enter the property. so get that checked out and i wouldnt let anyone bring a dog onto your property if they dont have shots, way to risky. we had a pup who got it from the soil in the yard, poor darlins, not nice.
:mad: now i stand and do some wild kicking and punching moves in the air, the jerks who had these babies before need to have their heads kicked in. it makes me so angry (as i imagine you ) that they do this **** to dogs, mongrels need to be shot. :mad: :mad:

glasslass
July 20th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I think I posted this before, but it seems so appropriate to post again. I cut it out of the paper and have it on my refrigerator.

"There is an Indian legend . . . when a human dies there is a bridge he must cross to enter into heaven. At the head of that bridge waits every animal he encountered during his lifetime. The animals . . . decide which humans may cross the bridge . . . and which are turned away." Unknown

melanie
July 20th, 2004, 06:58 PM
glassy, that is just beautiful. thank you

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 10:31 AM
When I got home after work he come running to me he was so happy wagging his tail and barking. So I took him outside to go to the bathroom and he went and than was running around and playing. I let him play for a few minutes than made him lay back down inside. So while he was sleeping I ran to Subway (becuase I was so tired I was not cooking) (it is only 3 miles down the road) I got back and he was still sleeping so I sit on the little bed we have been sleeping on with him for the last few days. I opened my sub and the dog went crazy he wanted some so bad, I felt awful but there was no way I was letting him eat that. So I tried some of his baby food and no so I tried yoguart and no he wanted the sub, so I tried some soft (wet) dog food NO again so than I put him some cottage cheese on a plate and he ate two tablespoons. He wanted more but I would not give him anymore becuase I wanted him to keep it down. So he keep playing all night and I keep giving him his ped. (which he now is fighting me over every time he hates me giving it to him now). So the vet calls at like 9:00 p.m. to check on him and said that if he is hungry I can give him some whole grain brown rice with a little tuna juice to flavor it. So I went out and bought him some and made it he ate 3 tablespoons and wanted more like before but I told him he had to keep this down first. So later on I went to give him so more ped. and we fought so finally I opened his mouth and just put it in there and I think I made him mad so than he threw up. It was more water than food (I think he was like hahaha lookie there) and than he was fine he keep playing and running. So we got ready for bed (I guess you can say bed still although we have been sleeping in the dinning room floor since he has been sick-so I can keep an eye on him better) and I took him outside right before bed and he ran and played and rolled on the ground. Than, he sleep alnight fine. So I woke up this morning and took him out and he played and than I went in the kitchen and he wanted something to eat so I gave him 2 teaspoons of his rice and he has keep it down so far hubby says. Before I left I gave him his meds. and than went to give him some ped. and he did not want it so I was like fine you want to do it by yourself and I put a little bit of water in a bowl and he drank it and has not gotten sick yet. So we will see. The vet sad that when I get him through his first antibotic than of he is not dead we will have a good chance. I know we are not out of the woods yet but I am starting to see some clearing and things are looking a little better. :D

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Ahhh, Princess!! I'm glad to hear that everything is going well!!! Your such a good mommy! Have you had any luck finding the owner? (I don't think I'd want to if I was you!!! :rolleyes: ) Thank you for taking such good care of this little guy!!! :D

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Thank you, so much for all your care and concerns. It has been a long battle but he is so worth it. Oh I forgot to tell you, yesterday when I got home the puppy came running to me but he had a blue boy on him (around his neck) and there was a card on the boy and I opened it and it said its a boy! I was like what???? :confused: Justin came out and told me that the puppy was mine the owners had called and was all upset that we had posted posters with the dogs pictures on them around the town. They told Justin that if they wanted to DUMB dogs than they would have kept them so take them down they do not want them. So the puppy is mine now. I am so HAPPPY! :D

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM
I talked to the lady that has the other little puppy several times yesetrday and her little boy is not doing good at all. He will not keep anything down (no water, med, Ped. food, nothing) she said that he is getting more weak every minute. She took him in to the vet this morning and the vet hooked an iv up to him that she could use at home and see if that helps. When they tried to keep him at the vet his heart beat went up he was so sick it made him worse. So the vet is trying to treat him at home. So we will see but it is not looking good for her baby she is so very upset. I feel so bad. If I knew that they were sick I would have never let her take him. So we need to pray and keep our fingers crossed for this little man. :(

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 12:32 PM
That call could have been a prank phone call princess. Did he get the persons name and phone number? I doubt it was the owners, someone is playing a joke, a really stupid joke.

I'm so happy that the pup is doing so well. You are doing a terrif job taking on this roll of nurse maid!

Remember to keep feeding, every hour/hour and half. I wouldn't give tuna right now, too hard on the tummy. But boil some chicken and make a puree in the blender, chicken, cottage cheese and some water.

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 12:42 PM
I did not give him just the tuna I put a little maybe teaspoon of the jucie on his rice so he would eat it. That is what the vet told me to do is that bad. He said tuna or salmon jucie just to make him want it more. What do you think! I did not think that it could have been a joke that is awful oh well I guess we will cross that bridge if the owners call and go from there. Maybe they will sell him to me! ( I hope, I hope) :D I will keep my fingers crossed!

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
The phone number should be on the caller ID I will check when I go home for a lunch break. If it was a prank call that is so mean! :mad:

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
I just think fish oil may be too heavy at this time. Flavour the food with some cottage cheese :D calcium plus fat, can't go wrong there :D

Instead of brown rice use white, as brown rice can irritate a dogs GI and cause diarrhea.

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Whole grain white rice or minute rice or what. And put cottage cheese in the rice? He ate a little cottage cheese last night (he liked it) I know when a person is sick they say no milk products, so cottage cheese will not hurt his tummie?

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 12:49 PM
A little cottage cheese with rice or potato will be fine and he's gotta get some protein in him so either boiled chicken or turkey. The cottage cheese will help 'bind' the food in the intestine. Don't overdo with too much though.

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 12:52 PM
Okay thanks, yes that is what I was afarid of he acts like he wants more but I will not give him any more than 2 tablespoons at a time. What do you think about the ped. I was giving it to him through an med. dropper (baby) but he hates me to do it now. He is drinking water ( I only give him a little each time trying to get his little belly use to it without throwing up) should I keep giving him the ped. every once in a while or what do you think? When I do give it to him now I have to fight with him to get him to take it and I hate holding him down and doing it that way but if he still needs it I will do whatever it takes.

glasslass
July 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM
I'm visualizing this pup watching you eat that sub! You may have to go on rice & cottage cheese too! And, chicken.

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Put the ped in the food :D

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
I went home on my lunch break and boiled him some chicken and gave him that and cottage cheese (a tsp.) he ate that like crazy so I gave him two more little pieces of chicken and he still wanted more but I would not give him any more. If he can keep it down until I get home I will give him a little more but we will see. I feel so bad not giving him stuff when he is hungry but I am trying to keep him from getting sick. Am I doing the right thing by not feeding him even though he is hungry? We also ate boiled chicken cottage cheese and rice. Hubby was like what do I have Parvo? LOL :D He seemed happier and more playful today he barked alot like he use to when we were in the kitchen trying to eat something that he was not getting. Hehehehehehe
I hope he is getting better I want to say that he is but part of me is still telling myself that he is not out of the woods yet! But I hope for the best and I am so proud of him for fighting Parvo this good. He is a brave and strong little bugger. So that right there makes it all worth it. How often do you think I should feed him? I know just a little but when and how often.

Luba you said no brown rice, do I need to get minute rice or whole grain white rice or what.

buriedinfur
July 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
He does sound like he is recovering nicely, if he has stopped having diarrhea and vomiting for 12 hours and he is drinking water just fine you should be safe discontinuing the pedialyte (as it is to rehydrate, which the water is doing; and to replace electrolytes lost in the vomit and diarrhea - which if he isn't having problems with he won't be loosing the electrolytes). Over the next couple of days you can increase his meals as long as they are keeping down ok and slowly wean him back on to puppy kibble.
If he is keeping these little meals down, can give him 6-8 over a 24 hour period. Sounds like he is getting his spunk back too which is a really good thing - puppies that are really sick with parvo are flat out and uninterested in life, once they start to play again it is a great sign.

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Thank you all for everything. It means so much to me to know that you have friends that can help you and answer some questions that you have! :D

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM
Minute rice or long grain white is fine or potato
I'd alternate with potato and rice not always the rice. Potato has both natural sugars in it and vitamins. While the rice is more just carb.

So if the food is staying down you can give 2/3 tbsp at a time mix in a little ped like a tablespoon or so. :D You are doinga fantastic job you know that :D

Keep it up! Feedings can be every hour/hour and half if the meals are small like this. I wouldn't force the ped anymore just put some of it in the food and make some ice cubes putting some ped in the water. IF you boiled chicken use the chicken stock (juice) and freeze it in ice cube trays and they'd love that :D

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Will do thank you so much for all your help you are a life saver. :D

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 04:00 PM
LUBA: How old will he be when he starts teething? :eek:

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM
I've just had a sick puppy myself and know how hard it is emotionally and physically. Got some great help and support on here when Sadie first came home and was very ill with some mystery virus.

Teething starts as soon as they have 'any' teeth ;) the teeth itch, feel hot and it helps to have something hard to chew on to break them through the gums but something cool to sooth the burning and itching. I found flavoured ice cubes a saviour!!

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 04:11 PM
I am sorry what I meant is when do they start teething with their adult teeth. Like when do their baby teeth fall out and they get their new teeth. I know I have had alot of questions but I have always owned cats so this is totally new for me. :D

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Start looking for it around 4mons 'ish.

Ask all the q's u like!

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 04:48 PM
I am sorry what I meant is when do they start teething with their adult teeth. Like when do their baby teeth fall out and they get their new teeth. I know I have had alot of questions but I have always owned cats so this is totally new for me. :D

There bottom two front teeth will fall out when they are exactly 16 weeks old - give or take 48 hours. (Sorry Luba, my vet told me that I have no internet source. LOL :p Just picking on you hunnie!!!) :D

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 05:01 PM
Witch! LOL
Isn't 16 weeks 4mons you turkey tat! :p

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yes it is... just checking, it's really hot out you know... thought I might get one past you! NOt my Luba though, you're a quick one!!! LOL!! :D

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Excuse me lovely lady clean out your BOX! PM box that is

:eek:

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Done. It does get kinda full of crud sometimes. Thanks for the heads up. :o :D :p

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM
I'm so happy to have a/c today OMG
It's hot Sam!

Whats it like in Princess land?

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 05:12 PM
Oh look at you!! aren't you SOO funny!?!? Princess land is just wonderful. Love the weather!! How about you, fairy godmother? I was going to say TOAD, but that's just rude!!! :p

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 05:13 PM
I meant Princess as in our 'other' member Princess lmfho

sammiec
July 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM
OMG - I was reading another thread and I clued in that we hijacked Princess' thread - and that you weren't talking to me!!! IMFAO!!! :p :o LOVE THAT HEAT!!!

Princesss04
July 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
It is about 90 degrees here. :cool: The bad part is that it is so very humid here they are calling for storms. I thought you were talking to me but I was not sure. LOL :D

heidiho
July 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Arizona,they said today will be the hottest of the year,the temp is about 104,but they said with the humidity today it will feel about 120 to 130,there is a major heat advisory here today...

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
So you both have it hot there too huh!

Well we are under a heat and smog advisory but that doesn' stop my idiot neighbours from using their gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers

Sammie, ti's the heat girl go have a banana ice cream.

glasslass
July 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM
It may reach 100 today in Central CA. Staying inside! We don't have a lot of humidity so it's not bad. Den-Den asked to go out. While I waited for him, he stretched out on the brick patio in full sun and thoroughly enjoyed himself for about 2 minutes, then was ready to come back in. Surprised me. I guess he's cold with the air cond.

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 06:48 PM
Factoring humidity it's topped 103degrees in T.O today

Freyja
July 21st, 2004, 07:57 PM
OMG! My kids are in Muskoka!!
Only 23 in Calgary today, much cooled down from 32 a couple of days ago but then that is Calgary!! Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes!

Luba
July 21st, 2004, 08:24 PM
OH but they have the lake to jump into :D

Princesss04
July 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
We had another good night with Marshmellow he is eatting good (boiled chicken, rice, cottage cheese with ped in it) and he is starting to drink in his own. He did not get sick at all last night. At one point he actted like maybe he was going to so I laid him down and rubbed his belly and throat and in a few minutes he was fine. I am pleased with his progress as long as he can hang in there I think we have a figthing chance. He had a bowel movement this morning in the den :eek: It was nasty at least there was not blood in it and it was not completly runny it was getting a little more solid. I guess that is to be excepted though since he went a few days with out eatting and now he is eatting so it will prolly take some time to regulate his bowels don't you think? Thank you all for you concern and prayers they have made a world of difference! :D