Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Isn't 4.5 months early for kitty "development"?

Puss'FavPerson
October 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I am wondering if Cookie is an early developer? Is there such a thing????

She's 4 & 1/2 months now, inside all the time, just watches the outside world from our windows.

The last two nights in a row our back deck has been visited by two DIFFERENT cats, both of whom have the squarish heads of males. They're not strays, very well groomed and healthy looking fellows. The first night, the one that came scared my hubby with all the ruckus out there in the middle of the night. Last night, it was a well behaved orange tabby, young and very handsome:D, who just kept swirling around our patio doors meowing to get in (or something???).

Cookie is NOT in heat, and she doesn't seem to care that she apparently has admirers, pays zero attention to them. What's going on???

Is it just coincidence that we suddenly have become a popular spot, or do they somehow sense my little girl is growing up?

Also, she's started trying to sneak out the door when we open it, and I do NOT want her to get preggers, NO WAY, NO HOW! Can she be spayed ahead of the 6 months mark, without endangering her health?

phoozles
October 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
She can get spayed before 6 months - I think Dr Lee wrote something about that in another thread - it shouldn't affect them.

It could be a coincidence - I'm not sure if male cats can detect an intact female if they are not in heat. :shrug: Some cats do go into heat by 4 1/2 - 5 months, but you can usually tell when they are. I would talk to your vet about your concerns.. It's best to get her done before she goes into her first heat cycle.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Puss'FavPerson
October 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Phoozles ... I was going to call the vet today, but they don't work Fridays. I will definitely be on the phone & booking an appointment Monday!

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see if any more gents come calling over the weekend! Since she hasn't been out of doors, I find it tough to believe the toms are able to pick up her scent or anything.

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
I had Kiska spayed at 4 months. She came into heat about a month before her appointment date, so I had to move it up. The vet said it was fine. Oksana also got spayed at around 4 months as well. My vet wanted to get them in before their first heat. Kiska was an early developer. :D

Gail P
October 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I had my cat Smudge spayed earlier too. When she was in for her last set of kitten vaccinations I commented how fat she seemed to be getting and asked if it was possible that she could be already pregnant (she was a barn cat, so there could have been opportunity). The vet said that as she was in good shape it could be possible to get pregnant at a young age. They recommended getting her spayed ASAP.

Puss'FavPerson
October 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Well, so far we've had no more gents calling on her in the wee hours ... that is, none that we've heard!

But I'm still calling the vet tomorrow!:thumbs up

She's still trying to get past us when we open the door, and better safe than sorry, eh?

kathryn
October 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
You can get her spayed now. It's best to do it ASAP. I like getting them done at 8 weeks it's so much easier. Right now my 2 grey tuxedos are 5 months and both are males and they are just tearing the place up and constantly pinning each other down... :yuck: They don't have any adopters lined up but I'm just going to have to get them done now because I can't take it anymore!

As long as she weighs atleast 2 pounds she can be spayed...

Puss'FavPerson
October 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Cookie has a spaying appointment booked for Oct 27th ... earliest available for our vet. By then she'll be a little past 5 months.

Now to post a eunich(sp?) guard at every door until then :lightbulb: