Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for inexpensive/cheaper place to get cat fixed..

bluequeen
October 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm located in the Barrie area and need to get my cat fixed, she hasn't had any of her shots so she will need those as well. When I call the vet clinics I usually get quoted over $300 for all of it. Does anyone know of any inexpensive/cheaper places to get my cat fixed? I know the SPCA use to do something for low income house holds but I can't seem to find anything on it anymore.
Thanks

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Did you call the SPCA and ask if they have anything available? They may know of some rescues that may help. Do you know of any rescues in the area? Phone some vets and ask if they know of any rescues. Basically just phone around and see what you can scope out. :shrug: Lots and lots of phone calls...........
Hopefully someone will here will be able to help you. I don't know Barrie area very well.
Good luck.

Stellasmom
October 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi I was a vet tech in Barrie not too long ago. The clinic attached to the SPCA on Morrow Road is the Marion Vernon clinic. I am unsure if they have "reduced" prices for anything. Don't know how far you would like to travel but look into spay/neuter clinics (not too sure if there are any in the area). When getting a quote for the surgery from ANY clinic find out exactly what that price includes so you can compare "apples to apples" so to speak since their interpretation of the service may differ from place to place.

Ask if their fees include:
*pre-op bloodwork?
*IV catheter and IV fluids?
*pain meds?
*an overnight stay?
*what type of anesthesia monitoring occurs before/during/after the surgery?
* what type of anesthetic agents are used (injectable drugs or inhaled drugs)?

Just remember that this is a one time fee and will result in less hassles down the road for you and your pet . Thank you for being a responsible pet owner!

Kelly