Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how long can he really hold it? o.0

ashtoreth
October 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Rant warning;

First of all, this post is mostly for people who have jobs and dogs. It's a pretty touchy subject for those, but hey, i'm not here to be insulted because I actually work. I give Titus the best care I can and he seems very healthy and stable. So if you are here to be all "omg, you work, you shouldn't work, you should stay home all the time and take care of the dog, dont work!" this post is not for you. I happen to have bills, rent, food to pay, if your lucky enough to live in a world when you don't need money, good for you.

/rant warning

That being said...

Everywhere I read they all tell me the same thing, a dog can "hold it" up to an hour for every months of age. So my dog is 3 months (and a half, woof!) he can technically hold it for 3 hours (and a half :P) This I get.

However, he seems to be able to hold it for around 5 hours without any problems, and with work, I go check him every lunch hours, so hes alone for 4 hours and when I get him out of the crate, he happily bounces around, for play, drink water (even though the door is wide open for him to go out and do his business hehe) then go outside, pee and come back home to play with me and eat. (then it's back outside for 15 minutes for his second business heh) he's pretty predictable on this one. Then it's back in the crate and I go work.

My boyfriend returns home around 4:15 and does basically the same thing, expect he spends more time playing (I'm still at work) and wait for me, they then both walk to the bus stop to greet me and we take a walk/jog around the block (not too long, just enough for him, we're going to run more when he's older heh)

But, life being life, sometime **** happens and Titus is left alone for a little more than this 4-5 hours (if you wanna rant, please see the first part of this post, thank you) by "**** happens" I mean traffic, overtime or my puppy sitter (yea we have that too ^^) can't make it on time. So he's alone for, omg, 6 hours and he's still ok (it happened once last week that he was alone for 7 hours, the traffic was so bad it was hell, this time he rushed outside hehe) But no accident!

So whats the real deal? how long can a puppy really hold it? I assume a smaller breed can't really hold it as long as a bigger dog? He's going on 30 pounds soon (big!) and is very active. We're planning to do a lot of hiking and sledding with him when hes older so we're really working with him so he loves to play, but we're taking it slow too so he doesn't strain anything (its a delicate balance ;)

Now this post isn't to see how far can I push his bladder, but more to know how long before he gets uncomfortable and more opinions on the subject.

Cheerios!

A.

http://pandora-games.com/images/photos/titus/titus_40d.jpg

Bina
October 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
This is a question with so many variables...
Some breeds are notorious for not holding well and being more nervous.
Some dogs just like to drink more, some houses are hot, etc. etc. etc.

I remember going home every day at lunch for my cocker spaniel which would work most of the time, until she got p-ssed off at me for something and then she would make sure to pee on the carpet.
I remember having an older laid back Bouvier who would gladly sleep until I got home.
My Dad's GSD was famous for holding her pee until she waited for him to come home. I would visit her 1-2 times a day and take her out but sometimes she would still want to hold it for Dad.
Then I've had a Bichon Frise who was happy to use the piddle pads.
There really isn't any rule for this, but I like to think that most dogs are happy to have a chance to go out at least 4 times a day.

JennieV
October 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
At the risk of being yelled at...
I think that it really depends on your dog. I try to come home at lunch time to walk him, but I work kind of far and sometimes situations at work dont allow me to leave, at which point I have to call on my nephew, who is back from school at 2 or 3 pm, depends on his schedule. So Sparky holds it no problem at all from 8 am when I last take him out before I leave, till about 3pm (up to 7 hours).

I realize its not the healthiest situation, but I can't stop my life and quit my job to be with the dog. He has been so good though, I think he just sleeps when we aren't there, because he is very sleepy-eyed when I come home and there's never any mess, like he doesn't destroy stuffies or anything.

I also noticed he eats and drinks very little when we are not there. He isn't crated though, he is just separated to an area with playpen-style fence. also, I used to leave him puppy pads, which were shredded to tiniest pieces by the time we got home.:laughing: I think he was trying to let me know he is a big dog now...LOL :rolleyes: now he just sleeps.

Also, Tarzan :rip: used to just wait till I got home, he didn't like to go out with the kids, he would stall at the door :shrug: (I think he had trust issues...) But I would walk him as soon as I got home...Still good 8 hours to wait.
So I think it really is up to your dog's tolerance. :dog:

ashtoreth
October 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
hehe yea, he seems to mostly sleep while i'm gone anyhow :) or play with his kong

Melinda
October 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
from 8 weeks of age my lab pup (now 3 yrs old) would have her last pee break at 10 pm and then not go out again until 7 am the next morning.....no accidents after her first day home....so..thats 9 hours.....

ashtoreth
October 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
oh yea, he does his nights since a while now o.0

AmericanBullMom
October 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Patrón and Jackson have to wait until the DB gets home at 3...we leave around 7ish...thats like 8 hours
But then again they are fine all night too...
I had a house with a dog door when I first got Patrón, so he would have been able to go in and out as he pleased. But circumstances forced us into an apartment... had I known I would be in an apartment I'd have asked my dad not get us a puppy...
I do sometimes think its unfair.. but we go to the park every night and go for walks on the nights we cant go to the park...

kandy
October 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I would agree that it depends on the dog - their health, how much water they drink, their environment, etc.

I have a dog door, so it's not an issue for me while I'm at work - but I know that Malone sleeps all day while I'm gone, although I suspect that is broken up by barking at the evil garbage man, barking at the evil postman, etc. Hazel goes to work with DH.

My mom & dad had a rotti that my dad took with him everywhere. He was a general contractor, and there were days that I know that dog stayed in the cab of his truck all day, sometimes up to 10 or 12 hours. Now I don't agree with that, but that dog never had an accident in his truck and she had water available - she just had an iron bladder. I was always surprised that she never got UTI's or anything because of it.

Kahne9Lover
October 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I have an emergency plan with two trusted people, my mom (the dogs LOVE their Grammie!) and a homeschooled 14 yr old neighbor. They both have keys (the 14 yr old has his mom hold the key) and if we get into a jam I have two backups. Every time I have to call, I give the kid 5 dollars. The plan has worked well, and he earns some cash at the same time. Usually they can hold for about 6-7 hours without panic, at night it's about 7 hours.

im_nomad
October 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
When my dog was younger, she was able to occasionally last through a 12 hour shift without going out, when i worked shift work and there was no one else home to let her out. Now that she is older (12 years), it's a different story. However, there are times when I can let her out at 9pm, and sleep in on a weekend without her looking to me to get out (she is GREAT at night times). When i'm home with her, she can be an Olympic pee-holder. Then again there are times when i can't leave her for 5 mins and she does a pee.

I sympathize with the working situation. Up until May, I worked within ten minutes of my home, and was able to go let her out at lunch times. Most times it worked, but she still had occasonal accidents (she has kidney problems and is a bit of a nervous pee-er as well ).

Then in May, I got a promotion, and I now work an hour away from my home. It's impossible for me to get home to let her out, and I haven't yet been able to sell my house. To boot I have now added two extra hours with travel on to my work day, totalling 10 hours away from home. With no one else to let her out during the day, I invested in a good baby gate, and she is confined to the kitchen, where the floors can take it, as there is no way I can expect her to hold it that long. She is now trained to go on puppy training pads and seems to fare ok, although her aim is not always so good.