Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Night time vomiting

RSmith34
October 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I live on a farm and my beagle is outside all day in a fenced in area while I'm at work. At night time I bring her in the house. When its time for bed she has a kennel that she goes in. We have been doing this routine for at least six months now, but the past week when I put her to bed she has been acting up. Whining for a little while, scratching at the door and then dry heeving. At first when she would whine I would take her out to see if she had to go to the bathroom, but she never does. (She stops the dry heeving though, until I put her back in her kennel.) Some times she will vomit (its always clear water liquid) I have been watching her closely. She doesn't do it outside and last night when she started this routine again, I took her outside and she did not want to come back inside. Someone told me that her kennel might be to small. (the one that I was using was twice her size, but I got a large one and in that all she does is pace back and forth, she will not lay down) Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with her?

kathryn
October 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Has she been around any other dogs? By kennel, do you mean a crate (large cage with locking door)? Is it possible where she is being put has a funny smell to it that she's allergic too? Is she getting into anything (chemicals, eating the grass etc)? I don't know much about dogs though, but she could have kennel cough which is alot of dry heaving.

If she is being put in a crate/kennel, is she chewing the bars? She could be chipping off the paint or something and it's making her cough.

RSmith34
October 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Its a plastic crate (like one of those used to transport a cat or dog in a car trip to the vet) (Its plastic with holes in the lid and a metal door.) I thought about the allergy thing and I don't understand why this behavior only happens at night and at bedtime. This crate is the same crate that I used since I got her and this night time trouble just started about a week ago. I have been watching her very closely and from what I see, I don't believe she is eating any grass or plants. She's not around other pets. I had a friend tell me that its a behavior problem - that she's doing this for attention. (She is use to running around all day and at night until bed time and that she is acting out when I put her in the crate at night time.) So if this is true, any suggestions on how I break this bad habit?

BenMax
October 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
I was thinking behavioural. I presently have a puppymill foster dog that obviously has been crated all of her 9 years. Since I have had her I have the crate available but she does not use it. If I must go out (she is STILL not house trained...)then I crate her. She starts to hyperventilate.....which is extremely unusual. The first time she did this I thought she was having a heart attack and of course I swept her up and checked her throat, heart, monitored her breathing and airway....until I figured it out the 2nd and 3rd time...

I have a routine now and gave her only her one favourite toy when crated. She goes in and out as scheduled without a problem. The key was not to deviate from a routine.

t.pettet
October 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
If she's alone all day and crated at night perhaps she's telling you she needs more interaction with her people and less alone time.

BenMax
October 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
If she's alone all day and crated at night perhaps she's telling you she needs more interaction with her people and less alone time.

My thought...

mona_b
October 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM

I was thinking the same.Think about it.She is outside all day and has freedom.Then at night she is put in a crate.Maybe she has had enough.

You say you bring her in at night.Do you crate her right away?Can she not be in the house when you are at work?How old is she?How long have you had her?