Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat is eating kitty litter, and his white blood cell count is low

Mugsy1966
October 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Trix has started to eat kitty litter. he doesnt eat much, but still. I am worried. For almost 2 months now, he hasnt been covering up his little poop job. we keep his kitty litter box very clean. he still eats from the box now and then. when i see him, i stop him from doing it. Several months ago, he had a gland leakage from his bum. we took him to the vet and they squezed it out. he said that a cat has a gland similar to a skunk that they do not use.

we took him to the vet yesterday to get checked out. he doesnt have the glandular problem, his poop sample was ok. he had blood work done, and the vet called me today and said that his white blood cell count is low. he has lost 2 pounds since his last visit. he eats good. the vet said he had to speak to one of his partners to see why his blood count is low. he asked if his moods have changed. he was a bit different after we had him declawed, but that is normal. the vet feels that he is trying to fight off something, maybe an infection or something.

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I am sure one of our more knowledgeable health gurus will be along soon to address the low cell count.
Please do everything you can to stop him from eating his litter. Especially if it is clumping litter. It can swell in his belly and cause major blockages. If you can't get him to stop then switch to a clay litter that does not clump or even better Yesterdays News or Feline Pine. Both are much better for the environment.
He probably isn't covering his junk any more because it hurts to. Getting him declawed is very very painful. He used those paws/claws for a lot more than scratching furniture. :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
October 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Low white cell count generally means the cat has or is fighting an infection.

Litter eating can be a symptom of anemia http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm#RBC_production and rarely so but possibly a deficiency of calcium

Have your vet run a full blood panel paying close attention to the Packed Cell Volume(PCV)/Hemocrit(HCT) levels http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm#PCV

Does your cat have fleas?
Was the stool sample checked for all types of worms?

As 14+k mentions Yesterdays News, Feline Pine, or Feline Fresh cat litter is far better for the health of you and your cat, and especially so for one who's been declawed :sad: much easier on the poor paws. Stay away from the wheat and corn based litters as that will only reinforce his eating of it.