Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My companion is dying!

Cindy56
October 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi there! Never thought I would feel the need to converse with strangers about my pets as I seem to do enough of that with my friends, but a sad tale started this morning with a call from my vet. I took in my cat, Sammy as I thought he was getting arthritic and have now found out that his kidneys are failing. This news has broken my heart as I only have my pets to come home to every
night therefore elevating them from family pets to family. The worst part of it is I know I will be forced to decide when to have him "put to sleep" I feel blessed to have these pets in my life but its my heart is breaking and I am not sure how to cope with this..My 2nd cat, Tia is even older than Sammy and I know that I will probably lose her soon..

Love4himies
October 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
So sorry that you have come to this forum under these circumstances, but I think this is the best pet forum going.

Your scenerio was the exact same as mine with my soulmate, Snowball :cry:. I wish I was a member here when it happened. My heart aches for you, but there is some hope that you can delay your kitties renal failure. One of the cat gurus on this pet forum, growler is currently going through this and her cat is doing amazing.

Please post this in the Cat Health Forum too so it will be more easily seen as a health issue.

:grouphug::grouphug: and more :grouphug: for you.

BenMax
October 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Cindy56 - I am so very sorry that you are in pain and that you are preparing yourself.

It is never easy to know what lies ahead, but do feel comfort in knowing that you are one of a few in this world that have such love and compassion in your heart - and this your cat was fortunate enough to feel this from you.

Saying good bye is never easy. Almost everyone here has lost pets and together we are able to express our grief without judgement - in fact we all know there are very limited places where you can do this as so many people do not seem to understand how much our pets mean to us. Infact, they are more than animals to us - they are very important members in our family...in our lives.

Stay as strong as you can, but know that we are here for you whenever you need it. There are no words that I can say to you to help, but I want you to know that I and others are here for you.

God bless you and your little ones.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have private messaged growler so she will know about this thread when she logs on. :grouphug:

BenMax
October 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
I have private messaged growler so she will know about this thread when she logs on. :grouphug:

Good for you - I am sure that she can provide valuable information.

Cindy56
October 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
While talking to the vet this morning I think I was in shock as I barely remember what he said other than my cat was terminally ill. I am going to call him later and get the info on what I can do to try and prolong his life in a non painful manner. I'll let you know what he says!
Thanks again for the quick response, I broke into tears (again) for some reason when I saw the replies.

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
:grouphug: Cindy56. What a tough time to be going through. But don't give up yet. There is always a chance. A change in diet.....as growler will tell you..... sometimes does wonders. As does proper medication.
If you must say goodbye....... we are here. We've been through it. It is never, ever easy but sometimes very necessary. :grouphug:

krdahmer
October 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017

That is the thread our Growler started about her Duffy... you should read through it, it may offer you some hope! :goodvibes:

I hope that you are able to spend more time with Sammy, and me and my kitty family are sending you both lots of :pray: &:grouphug:! And we do so love pictures here so if you have any to share... ;)

growler~GateKeeper
October 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Cindy56 :grouphug: I know what you're going through. :)

Can you get a copy of the blood and urine lab results and post them here.

What food are you currently feeding?

As mentioned by other members my cat Duffy has CRF, she is doing great under the care of a homeopath vet, a homeopath and a physiotherapist. She is on some feline supplements and vitamins.

If you have any questions let me know. :grouphug:

Thankyou L4H for sending me this thread. :grouphug:

Love4himies
October 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Any updates Cindy56?