Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing Issues

Aimster
October 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
My 9 month old dog, male (not neutered yet) is peeing on people and other dogs. Is this just a phase he's going through? Will it go away once I get him neutered?

It's terribly embarassing.

TeriM
October 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM
Hi Aimster, long time no post :D.

Is he submissive type peeing or is he actually cocking his leg and peeing?

If he is cocking his leg I'd say he is "testing boundaries". Neutering might help this a bit but likely wouldn't make much difference. I think that you need to correct the behaviour and more specifically I would try to prevent it but enforcing a solid sit during greetings.

TeriM
October 1st, 2008, 03:18 AM
Have we seen pics of your new baby yet? I think those might be necessary to really diagnose the situation :D and of course pics of the other furries as well.

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
:eek:My spayed female cocked her leg and peed on the neighbour's golden last week...:eek: I understand your embarassment (luckily our neighbour has a good sense of humour:o). She's the kind of dog who has to lift her leg on every pee left by our other dogs...walking her in a new neighbourhood in ridiculous because she wants to remark everything. Gracie is an incredibly dominant girl... your pup may be displaying dominance, or fear as a pp suggested, or is just being a pup and seeing what he can get away with.

Aimster
October 6th, 2008, 01:32 AM
It definitely looks like he's marking his territory when he does it, cocking his leg and letting go. I work at a kennel and that's the only place he's done this. He has peed on two of my co-workers and his brother has peed on me.

Bendyfoot, I've noticed many females squat and lift one leg while they mark on another dogs pee. It's mainly the more dominant females of the group that do it. It kind of shocked me when I first saw it happen.

I'll work on the behaviour thing though, correct him immediatley like I've been doing. He hasn't done it in about a week or so though so perhaps it was an accident, not realizing what he was lifting his leg on.

tenderfoot
October 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Heads up - there are no accidents with this kind of behavior. He know exactly what he is doing and is trying to send a big message with it. It is a combinaiton of his age (teenager) and his desire to challenge others for a higher place onthe ladder.

Try to catch him early so he doesn't even get a chance to raise his leg. The subtle behaviors that precede the lifting will be clear to you so you can catch him and correct the thought before it becomes an action.

Aimster
October 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I sort of do know when he's going to pee on something, the sniffing, the pace back and forth before he lifts his leg and he usually marks on the same things, which is usually something he shouldn't be peeing on when we're at the kennel.

If I correct him peeing on things that he shoudn't be, besides humans and dogs, will that eventually translate to not peeing on humans and dogs? If that makes sense.