Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please read!

nigel7
September 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
hi to all the kind souls/pet lovers!

i need someone to enlighten me on this issue;
what is the normal colour for a healthy dog's tongue?i've checked on my chihuahua's tongue just awhile algo but realised the colour of his tongue is pale pinkish. it is not very pink nor red like human's ones. typically for a healthy dog, what is the colour of its tongue or lips? i'm not a very experienced dog owner so i really need someone to enlighten me on this. if my dog's tongue does indicate there's possibilities of health related problems,i'd want to bring him to the vet asap.
and by the way, he's around 10 years old.

hope to hear from all of you soon! thank you(:

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
When was the last time your pooch saw a vet? If a while ago, he would benefit from a check up and the vet will notice if anything is wrong.

Also, what color are his gums? Are they pinkish? When you press on the gum it should turn white and once you release back to pink.

The color of the tongue: did it change or was it always the color you described.

babymomma
September 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
My yorkies tongue is a light pink when she is thirsty, but when she haves a drink it is a nice pink-red color. Sorry im not much of a help but i hope theres nothing wrong with your pooch.

nigel7
September 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM
his gum looks pink, but i can't tell whether it's light pale pink or the normal pink. but all i could say is that it's kind of pale pinklish, not the very bright kind of pink. i tried to press on his gums, it turned white and release back to pink. so what does it imply here when it releases back to the pink?
does aging has any effects on the colour of its tongue?

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
his gum looks pink, but i can't tell whether it's light pale pink or the normal pink. but all i could say is that it's kind of pale pinklish, not the very bright kind of pink. i tried to press on his gums, it turned white and release back to pink. so what does it imply here when it releases back to the pink?
does aging has any effects on the colour of its tongue?

No this test just shows that he is nice and hydrated. When was the last time he saw a vet? Have you noticed any change in his tongue recently that is causing you concern??

nigel7
September 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
if i weren't wrong, it should be a year back or so when i last visit the vet.
to be honest, today's only the few times i tried to check on his mouth, cos recently my cavalier king charles passed away and i've since been extra cautious and pro-active in my other dog's health and behaviour. but i know when my chihuahua's younger, the colour of his gums and possibly his tongue too has been a lot pinkish/red, could age be a factor which change the colour of a dog's tongue?

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I can't say - but if you are really concerned then a visit to the vet may put your mind at ease. Good luck.

nigel7
September 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
alright thank you so much for the info and the time (:

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Sorry I could not flat out answer your question.

Bina
September 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
If the dog is eating and drinking well, still active, going to the bathroom regular, then maybe you are just worrying and your dog is fine.
To be sure, visit the vet.

nigel7
October 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
alright i'll try to keep my eyes on him!
thank you so much for the informations and time (: