Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is all this because of Orijen?

Mgue
September 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I've had Ozzy for almost 2 weeks now. He was eating some random kibble from the rescue we got him from, and we were easing him over to Eukanuba. Then we heard how bad Eukanuba is, and now we're easing him over to Orijen puppy.

In the last 4 days or so that he's been getting about 25% Orijen, we've already noticed a difference. His coat seems shinier and he's pretty energetic. But the biggest change is in his "deposits". :sorry: I apologize in advance if I'm giving too much info here... but they went from 3 - 4 big soft steaming nasty turds in a pile about 3-4 times a day to now 1 - 2 smaller harder turds about 2-3 times a day.

It seems a bit early to be noticing such a difference, so I'm wondering if it's that "placebo effect" where you believe you'll see a difference so you experience one even if it doesn't really exist... :shrug:

clm
September 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Higher protien, less filler = less waste. It's a great food, I'm happy he's doing well on it.

Cindy

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I saw a huge difference in Jasper when he went from a cheap kibble to Orijen. Also, Puddles had a remarkable difference when I changed her food to Wellness, grain free canned food.

diandpat
September 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I am not 100% sure BUT I think I read somewhere on this forum that when switching from a grain to a grain-free kibble you are not supposed to wean off but just switch.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

In any event, Ginger and Hobo's BMs were much smaller when we switched, presumably because they are actually using more of what they get!

It is a great food and no complaints either.

jiorji
September 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'd be really careful with Orijen and "hard turds". I had my cats on Orijen and the hard turds turned into no pooping and constipation and then unecessary yet VERY necessary trip to the vet with a very angry Peanut that couldn't poop for weeks because she wasn't getting enough grain to soften her stool. Some pets can take it better than others. My other cat was find on it.

Watch closely and maybe give some supplements from time to time to help with digestion.

Mgue
September 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I should clarify - by "harder turds" I don't mean that they are not actually hard. With slight pressure, I could squish them. But before they were so soft, they basically stuck to the grass like pudding and now they seem more "normal". Like I can pick them up without them going to mush.

I'll definitely watch if they are getting too hard though. Another thing - not sure if it's normal - they are dark brown but inside they are lighter brown. Not sure if that means anything, but I found it interesting...

As for switching over cold turkey vs. gradually, I'd be interested to hear what other's think. In a previous thread, someone recommended switching him over gradually and I didn't think of the grain-to-grain free situation.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM
It may be referring to switching to a raw diet. With that you don't want to slow down the digestive track with grains, it can give bad bacteria time to multiply.

Ford Girl
September 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'd say if the switch is going well, then continue as usual, but in the case of my pooch - who went from grain to grain free, we made her very sick by mixing...then we found out to cold turkey it...after she was ill...I spoke with orijen/my vet and they reccomend cold turkey when going grain to grain free with a fast inbetween, but they said most owners still mix cuz its the old school way of doing it, so if I were you I'd continue if its working - it wont harm the pup...sounds like you are both doing just fine. :)

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Buddy is doing great on Wellness Core, and his poops are less often, and less of it :o They do tend to get to hard at times, so I do add some probiotic yogurt to his meals every few days.

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I also did a gradual switch from Canidae to Wellness Core - as I've always done with a new food. None of mine had any problems.

On the concern for constipation by jiorji, perhaps that had something to do with the cat being dehydrated? I know one cause of constipation is dehydration. :2cents:

ThorsMalMom
October 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
we experience the same miracles when switching our malamute pup to orijen from royal canine. he had pancake poops that we couldn't even pick up!! since the Orijen he eliminates less often and it is firm and dark, rather than loose and yellow. I couldn't say enough about the stuff, it's greaT!!

Laylapet
October 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I am not 100% sure BUT I think I read somewhere on this forum that when switching from a grain to a grain-free kibble you are not supposed to wean off but just switch.

I've never heard this, but I tried switching my dog from Euk to Solid Gold quickly and it made her really sick. Started over and did it more gradually (over about 3 weeks) and she adjusted much better. I had not heard the fasting thing though... maybe that would have worked better? Of course, SG is not even grain free.

In any case, since she's been on the SG I have noticed a much shinier coat, less body odor, and she looks healthier all around.