Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got the boys eating from raised dishes now

clm
September 30th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I know it's supposed to be better to feed them from a raised dish, our first dog Freddie always did. Our next dog Yogi always ate lying down, I guess he thought he was an ancient Roman in a past life. :laughing: Wandering around Costco as usual on Friday and I see this store and feed container that hold 2 dishes. Perfect raise height for the boys. I guess you're supposed to store the kibble in the base of the thing, but I have no intention of doing that. They seem to approve of eating from the higher position.

Cindy

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
None of my dogs had ever eaten from raised dishes (and most laid down while eating) but after we got our first newf, I read that raised bowls decreased the risk of bloat, so I bought a set of raised bowls. Then of course, other experts said that it increases the risk of bloat, so I got rid of it. LOL Fast forward 3 years and lots of reading, and I've come to the conclusion that you have to look at the individual dog to decide if raised bowls are right for them. Hazel sometimes lays down to eat, and stands up other times. She doesn't eat fast and doesn't have any problem burping - so I'm not overly concerned with bloat, but I notice that when she stands to eat, she'll shift positions alot. That leads me to think that she would be more comfortable with raised bowls - unless she decided to lay down that day. LOL

I hope yours enjoy their new bowls! :)

clm
September 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The raised bowls are to prevent injury to their lower leg joints while eating, while I suppose it would help with bloat too. They certainly look more comfortable eating with the bowls raised. Mind you, not as comfortable as Yogi used to while he was eating lying down. :laughing:

Cindy