Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! Cockatiel Needs a Loving Home

Cat Lover 61
September 30th, 2008, 01:33 AM
OK, my name is Cat Lover 61, and yes, I am in a position to find a home for a cockatiel.

Well, here is my story....

A very dear friend of mine has passed away (Sept 12, 2008) and she has left behind her beloved feathered friend, "Little One".

Little One currently resides in my basement suite where her owner resided until recently. I would love to keep "Little One", so would my two cats and overfriendly pooch. Unfortunately, Little One does not care for my other pets in this household.

Little One is around 20 years old. I know nothing about birds, but I can say she has shown much affection to me. I can pet her, she seems to purrrrrr and she puts her head into my cupped hand while I stroke her neck. She gives me little love kisses too! I don't get this stuff, as I said, I'm a cat and dog person.

Little One does not understand why her human friend has left her. She is lonely and really needs a loving home for her remaining years.

I feel she is best suited for a "one person" companion or maybe for a quiet couple. She has been traumatized by the non-existance of her regular every day life with her human companion. While I have tried to do my best, visiting her 3-4 times per day, she knows it is just not the same as having someone around the house, bustling with life.

If anyone knows of anyone who is loving and understands the needs of cockatiels, (and lives in the lower mainland of BC) please let me know. I am concerned for Little One's longer term prospectives......

Thank you.

badger
September 30th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Oh how sad. I hear that these birds get very attached to their owners and really suffer when they are no longer there.
It sounds as if you are doing your very best for Little One. I hope you can find someone with the right qualities because a bad placement could be a disaster.
In the meantime, is he caged? I don't want to make you feel guilty, but is there no way to keep him closer to you, maybe in a separate room on the main floor, where the dog and cats would be refused entry?
Does he have anything to look at or listen to down in the basement? A window? A radio? Lack of stimulation can be a serious problem for these intelligent birds.
Good luck, I hope a cockatiel :angel: flies to your rescue soon.

PS. I suggest you contact the bc exotic bird society, they will help you I'm sure:
http://www.bcexoticbirdsociety.org/rescue%20and%20adoption.html

Hmm, last posting was almost a year ago. Try them anyway.

Bina
September 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with Badger, maybe you can find a way to keep the bird closer to you until a new home can be found?
Hanging a cage in the middle of a spare room would at least be a bit easier for you to sit and visit with him.
He could watch TV a bit..... we actually have a bird DVD....nature stuff.
Or listen to the radio for a while. Good Luck.

Cat Lover 61
September 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Thank you for your comments. (sorry I goofed when trying to repy to you and replied to myself - this system is still new to me.)

I check in on and visit with Little One 3 to 4 times a day. I open the blinds for her in the morning, spend some time stroking her head and chatting about life. I have the radio on for her to keep her company. In the afternoon, if time permits, I visit again. By dusk, I close the blinds and at bedtime, I drape her scarf over her cage for the night. Each visit, I sit and open her cage and talk to her and stroke her head. She loves it - it's amazing for me to see a bird so affectionate. Other than her regular seed mix and gravel, I give her dry toast, rice and cherios. These are food items her owner gave her that I am aware of.

I have also had her out of the cage a few times. She hops around and follows me for a while, then goes off checking out whatever birds check out.

I would love to have her in our house, but the last time she saw my cats, I thought a new feather pillow was being made. She fussed so much, very fine feathers were flying all over. It was then, that I knew there was no way she could join our family of animals. I would be devastated if either of my cats got ahold of her or she had a heart attack due to the stress of two felines staring her down.

Anyways, thank you for your thoughts & comments. So far I think she is doing "ok" and I think I'm managing this new foster pet ok too.

Bye for now. Cat Lover 61

clm
October 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM
I hope it works out for the cockatiel. They're wonderful birds, although like most birds, can be a challenge sometimes.

I found a stray cockatiel in my garden over 10 years ago now. I have cats, and had no intention of ever getting a cockatiel, but ended up with one anyway. His cage sits in the livingroom and yes the cats do stare at him. My cats are locked up in the master bedroom during the day so they don't get the dogs all riled up, so I don't have to worry about any of them actually jumping at the cage while we're not home, but Gabby certainly has tried. Now Frank is bold as brass and tries to bite the cats if they get close, but I still keep them separate when we're not home. Even when I let him out for a fly around, he'll wander around the floor or the coffee table like he owns the place, no fear of cats or dogs. Mind you I keep all of them away from him, the little dummy doesn't realize he's not invisible. :laughing:
Cockatiels also have very loud periods, early morning and evening, they love to make a lot of noise for brief periods during those times.
I'm sure the cockatiel could be incorporated into your home if you had him up high enough that the cats can't actually jump on the cage. I have had the cage up higher when the cats had free run of the house all day, on a chain from the ceiling. None of the cats could get at him then. It made it hard to cover his cage at bedtime though. :laughing:

Cindy

Cat Lover 61
October 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi Cindy! Thank you for your comments. As much as I would love to keep Little One, I realistically, just can't.

I have looked around to see if there is anywhere I could hang Little One's cage and make this whole situation work....but there just isn't. Our house is quite small. I own my own company (in partnership with my husband) and we both work 60 - 70 hours a week, so it is just not fair to take on another pet that requires the attention that Little One needs, especially when I already have two, 2 year old flamepoints, a 3 1/2 year old yellow lab, a 14 year old teenage boy (hormones a-hopping) and a 51 year old child, otherwise known as my husband of 22.5 years.

We are fortunate our dog, Kami has the luxery of coming to work with us every day and going for walks and plays and the dog park conveniently located across the street. Our very sociat cats have a network of neighbours that love them and tend to their needs when I am at my "away" office. Thank goodness for being in an excellent, pet friendly neighbourhood. They also help me with in-between times when I am unable to be with Little One.

But..... an appropriate home is my goal for Little One. A home where she has someone there most of the time. Someone who can spend quality time with her. She really is a dear..............but I just can't. I have to be realistic with my committements and ability to properly care for more pets, kids and a husband in disquise as a kid.....Thank you again for your thoughts & comments. Cheers, Cat Lover 61

14+kitties
October 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
So what's stopping you from taking Little One to the office and having her there? :shrug: Just a thought. She would have the socialization she needs during the day and peace at night.

I know, I know. I am a trouble maker. :D So shoot me!

Cat Lover 61
October 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi there! Great Idea to take her to work, but............... she is stressed already with the change she as seen in her routine with Barb's passing. In addition with her age in mind (approx 20 years), I don't think she would cope with the travel to and from my office. Definately not like our lab who looks forward to the daily trip and the lunch time visits from many of our staff.

I have been in touch today with the BC Exotic Bird Society and they are definately a positive resource. I will be sending them a BIO this weekend and hopefully through their network will be able to match Little One to a suitable home.

Thank you for your suggestions - I do enjoy the correspondence.
Cheers, Cat Lover 61

babymomma
October 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Any good news?:fingerscr

patsyw
November 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hi, my name is pat and I have an adopted 20 year old male cockatiel who is extremely lonely after just losing his female companion... I saw your ad and was wondering if you still have Little One...She would be so happy with my Peaches...He would love her.....

please let me know asap...

thank you...

patsyw
November 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
my email address is pwillms@telus.net if the cockatiel is still needind a new home.....

thanks,
pw

patsyw
November 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
SORRY, don't know how to make a new thread or post so am replying from original post about the cockatiel needing a new home.

thanks.