Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calling all open artistic minds! :-)

trescanis
July 19th, 2004, 08:04 PM
K, I'm building a doghouse. A little background first:

We have 3 big dogs ( 2 GSD's and 1 Rotti X ) Our house is very small, but large property. When we moved in we fenced 4 acres and built a 12' X 35' chain linked kennel area inside the fence against the back of the house. I normally work between 4 and 6 hours at one job and then come home, let the dogs out, play a bit and then go on to another 4 + hours at another job.

My problem, or rather the dogs problem is, is that the house is too small for 3 big dogs, so I've been rotating dogs out to the kennel area while I'm out during my early job. Mainly for the dogs to have a little bit of alone time, also for the fresh air.

Back to the doghouse ..... Here's the "prototype" photo. The one on the left is what I'm going for.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL626/2381393/4693845/60563066.jpg

Any ideas for paint colors or whatever? Maybe some sort of image to be painted on it? I'm just looking for something different than just a drab box.... Our house is white with boring dark brown and green trim http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck16.gif waaaaay too ugly and boring, so I want to stay away from that. Next summer the trim will be painted to black and dark dark purple....

Ideas, ideas, ideas puleeeze. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/hb.gif

Donna Marie
July 19th, 2004, 08:08 PM
How about painting it with a white base, then black paw prints and doggy bones?

glasslass
July 19th, 2004, 08:54 PM
This photo is just to show the stenciling we did on a cat house for Puss-Puss when we first decided to adopt her. She only slept in it 1 week before moving up to being a house cat. Good thing because it was way too small for her after a few months. The entire roof lifted off for cleaning. She would sometimes nap in it during the day.

Freyja
July 19th, 2004, 09:08 PM
What a fantastic dog house!!
I want one!!!!!! I would paint it to match your house, a mini version. Anyone know where you can get a house like that in Calgary? I could ask my ex-husband the carpenter but he may get it done by say....2006!!!!

Cactus Flower
July 20th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I always lean towards humor. If it were me, I'd probably end up making it look like an office or something. Put a sign up that says "Now taking applications for dog-walker, yardkeeper, general doghousecleaning...". Have a picture painted of the dog sitting behind a desk.......who knows.

Or a vet's office, with a dog in Doctor's clothes. Sign: "Please keep your humans under control".

Or an adopt-a-human shelter?

Or paint it like a jailhouse.........

All sorts of funny ideas here!

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I ran across this photo and remembered this thread. This was a cute doghouse I saw on the coast. It's raised up off the ground so that a dog can lay under it in the shade. Don't know how warm it would be with the extra windows, but there are some cute ideas.