Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Czarina keeps biting me, what's up with that?

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Okay, I try not to pet Czari for too long, since I don't want to over stimulate her and have her get all nippy. But many times right before bed, when she's all cuddled next to me, she'll start rolling over in the bed, and cozying up close to me, then she'll grab at my arm and start biting me. OUCH!

She's done this several times, and just a little while ago she started to bite me hard and grab at my arm, like she was getting excited or agressive but for no reason. I gave her a firm NO and she backed off and now is laying next to me but she's got her back to me.

None of my other gang have ever done this to this extreme. When they do it's because I've not been paying attention and have petted them too long. But heck, I wasn't even petting Czari.

Is it a Tortie thing? A stray thing? Clues, opinions, anything?

Frenchy
September 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
My calico Missy used to do the same , and Paddy does it too. I think it's because they love us so much , they have to get a taste :laughing:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
In the immortal words of Nazareth, "Love hurts." I guess.

Sheesh, all the more reason to keep her nails trimmed! She's pouting right now, because she's still got her back to me. :rolleyes: She's not the one that almost got a chunk taken out of her.:laughing:

Aww, that's cute, you have Belle as your avatar. What a great picture of her.

Frenchy
September 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I would tell her "ouch !" and NO when she does it. It works with dogs :shrug:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm going to do that. When I said NO she stopped and backed off really fast. I can't allow her to think that's acceptable.

kanis
September 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ares used to do that too. He would be cuddly and purring and then swipe and bite! I think it's just a thing that some cats do when they're overstimulated or feel they have to be on the defensive for some reason.

Dracko
September 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
When cats play they often bite each other (not breaking the skin, of course). I would think this is probably a good sign that she feel comfortable with you. Although I know you don't want her to be biting you.

krdahmer
September 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Buddy nips at me all the time, sometimes on the cheek! It's always affectionate and not meant to hurt me, but those teeth are sharp! I can't really offer advice, because I am one who hand wrestles with my guys, so I've kind of made it ok. I do stop them if they get overly aggressive or hurt me and they've kind of learned what I can take and what I can't. Same thing they do when wrestling each other I guess. Maybe Czarina is just comfy and wanting to play a bit before bed, maybe try bringing a toy up that she can wrestle a bit.

badger
September 30th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yep, it's a tortie thing :laughing:
Coco is the same way, completely unpredictable. I can picture her little brain lit up like a Christmas tree as she attempts to sever my finger from my hand. To be fair, I was busy trying to cut off one of her huge matts at the time.

Definitely check her when it happens though. I would have immediately dumped her off the bed.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 07:01 AM
She may have been taken from her momma and siblings at a very young age and did not have the opportunity to learn good social skills such as biting when excited. I agree with badger and "check" her when she does it, it is the same thing her momma and/or siblings would have done when she was younger :thumbs up.

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I should have made her get off the bed, as I try to make them see being in the bed as a privileged that can easily be taken away if they don't behave towards me or each other. But since she did move away I sort of left her alone.

Since I don't really know her history for sure, I'll go with the being taken from her mommy at a young age scenario. Her biting and hissing at times looks like it could escalate if I don't push her away and say something. What gets me about the little stinker is she'll get in bed, get all comfy and start to get all cuddly then she turns into this monster. wth?

I just have to keep reminding myself it's not me, it's just the way she's been living for the last several years. :shrug:

clm
September 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM
My first cat, Toby, was the most beautiful himi X. He loved to be stroked and patted, but if he started to purr really loud, then you knew he was getting over excited and would be clamping on to your hand at any minute. :laughing:
He was like that the whole 18 years of his life.

Cindy

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
What gets me about the little stinker is she'll get in bed, get all comfy and start to get all cuddly then she turns into this monster. wth?

I just have to keep reminding myself it's not me, it's just the way she's been living for the last several years. :shrug:

You see it as unacceptable behaviour, she sees it as acceptable, closing that gap is so hard when you can't talk to them :frustrated:.

Sweet Pea and Matilda are very close as Sweet Pea treats her like she did her own kittens. When Matilda gets a little rambunctious when they are cuddling, Sweet Pea gently grabs Matilda by the throat and holds her down for about 20 seconds, this seems to settle her down. Sweet Pea did this to her kittens too, and it worked everytime. At first I was scared because I thought Sweet Pea was strangling her kittens, but they didn't seem to mind and when Sweet Pea was done, she would continue to groom her kittens and they stayed quiet.

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
You know, for a split second while I was reading about Sweet Pea and Matilda, I though, "hey I could do that with Czarina." Then I came back to my senses, realizing I'd probably pull back a stump!:laughing:

Helen0423
September 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My cat Lily will do that... you will be patting her and she will be purring and loving it... then if you stop for a sec.. she will bite... as if to say... "errrr excuse me???" If I ignore her she will nip my chin or something when she jumps on my lap.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You know, for a split second while I was reading about Sweet Pea and Matilda, I though, "hey I could do that with Czarina." Then I came back to my senses, realizing I'd probably pull back a stump!:laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Maybe, maybe not, but you sure would be taking some pretty high risk chances :laughing: All the foster kittens are so attracted to Sweet Pea, maybe they know she was a momma and they listen to her?? Matilda has been the only one that she has taken on as a foster kitten.

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
:laughing::laughing: Maybe, maybe not, but you sure would be taking some pretty high risk chances :laughing: All the foster kittens are so attracted to Sweet Pea, maybe they know she was a momma and they listen to her?? Matilda has been the only one that she has taken on as a foster kitten.

No, I will not be chancing that! LOL.

Yeah, they probably feel some mothering instinct in her. That's sweet. Although, maybe potentially problematic no? What if Puddles wants to play with the kittens.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
What if Puddles wants to play with the kittens.

:laughing::laughing: That would never, ever, ever happen in a million years. Puddles hates the kittens, wishes no new kittens will ever come into the house again and celebrates when a litter leaves to go up for adoption.

Miss Princess Puddles is antisocial with other cats. Except Jasper, she doesn't mind him :lovestruck:.

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
LOL, okay, no kittens for Puddles.

Jasper is such a sweety, he gets along with anybody.:cloud9:

phoozles
September 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Alley always licks and then gently bites - I blame FH for that one, because he wasn't consistant with her when she was little. I always know that the licking is going to turn into biting eventually, but she's usually very gentle about it..

Ethel, on the other hand, bites pretty hard.. it can come out of the blue after too much petting, or if she just gets overwhelmed.. The moment she does it I say "ouch" and step away from her, so she gets the hint that it's not cool..

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's how Czari is, sort of out of the blue sometimes. And she'll wrap her paws around my arm so it's hard to get her away without some marks. That's why I'm taking her to get her sharp instruments cut back.:D

phoozles
September 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I need to get Ethel's claws taken down a peg as well - I usually do it myself, but not with her - she's a little to squiggly, scratchy and bitey for me! :rolleyes:
How much does your vet charge?

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No way would I attempt to do Czari myself. It's hard enough getting my other gang to sit still, but Czari gets REALLY pissed.

My vet charges me $12. It sounds like a lot to me, but honestly, I have to pay it because I can't do it myself. She gets so nervous when she goes she becomes such a pussycat. :laughing:

BTW, how are things with Ethel and Alley? Do you see any difference since you've had the diffuser for a while now?

chico2
September 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
AG,my Chico does the same,but I call it a Love-Bite:lovestruck:I say OUCH!!and he gives me that"what's your problem"look:cat:

If I finish petting him and leave,he'll stretch out his paw and catch me,most of the time only whatever I am wearing,luckily..

onster
September 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Onnie is guilty of it too :rolleyes:.

Sharp little daggers they have for teeth there huh! its all out of love tho :lovestruck:

Karin
September 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
It's the tortitude! She wuv's you!

My neighbor's torti/manx, "Mouth", will come up from behind and grab my ankle with her teeth and then dart up a tree. After a few seconds she'll come down and jump in my lap all squinty eyed..purring and making kitty biscuits on my leg.
My neighbor said she wuv's me too & that's why she does that nip. Torti's do seem to love nip harder than any other.

(I use the word "wuv" because if a cat could talk humanese, it would probably sound like that..lol)

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, she seemed to have no problem stretching out later on and cuddling next to me. Crazy torties!

Dracko
October 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM
My Mochie who is the sweetest cat ever will sometimes bite the top of my head - sort of biting my hair - when she's on my shoulders. It always comes out of the blue and shocks me. I know she is doing it out of affection and not aggression but man, does it smart.

ancientgirl
October 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Dracko, Vlad does that to me too once on a great while. He did it just the other day. LOL, I woke up and wondered what the heck was going on. I realized it was him and just left him alone.:laughing:

mona_b
October 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
My calico does this.Phoenix has a BAD A$$ attitude.Has since she was a kitten.It takes three people to hold her down when she goes to the vets.:rolleyes:..She can be all lovely.But she can turn on a dime.She's soon to be 8 and got her at 12 weeks.

My Casper(born deaf)is another story.When he bites,he will literally bite down on you and not let go.You have to pry his mouth open.Blowing in his face ticks him off more.I have bite marks on my legs and arms.You could be standing and out of the blue he will run up behind you and take a bite and then take off.You can be just sitting there,he will come up to you,sit in front,then go for the kill.But at other times he is in your face for some lovins..Go figure.:rolleyes:

Then you have Winnie.A perfect angel.Never bites.And is so gentle.:shrug:

As for it being a Tortie thing,I don't think so.My sister has one,Kaluha and so does my nephew,Alize..They are soooo loving...:shrug:

Bluedrake
October 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe she is just trying some tough love on you :laughing:

It's definitely not a Tortie thing, because Erin does it to me too, and she's a tabby. I think she just wants to play. I just say OUCH and remove my hand, then give it back to her, then she'll be really gentle with me.

BenMax
October 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have a tortie that does the same thing. She was strangled by some idiot so I just thought that she not terribly normal after that incident and spending 1 month in the hospital. She also does not like me on the phone. When I am trying to talk, she will either pull the wire out of the jack or she will attack me (pretty hard I may add) and take off real quick.

At night, she will sleep with me and then jumps on me, attacking my head (many scares I am sure). From there she will settle down and groom me like a cat.

I am not sure if it is a tortie thing - but I am now wondering if maybe it is reading your thread. I guess the strangling may not to be blamed for her bad behaviour.

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I figure she's just now really learning how to play. I'm trying to be really observant to her body language. If her nails weren't so darn sharp, it wouldn't be that bad.

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I have a tortie that does the same thing. She was strangled by some idiot so I just thought that she not terribly normal after that incident and spending 1 month in the hospital. She also does not like me on the phone. When I am trying to talk, she will either pull the wire out of the jack or she will attack me (pretty hard I may add) and take off real quick.

At night, she will sleep with me and then jumps on me, attacking my head (many scares I am sure). From there she will settle down and groom me like a cat.

I am not sure if it is a tortie thing - but I am now wondering if maybe it is reading your thread. I guess the strangling may not to be blamed for her bad behaviour.

Many people I've spoken to, on and off this site have said Torites have this um...special attitude. LOL.

I do cut her slack too, since she was a stray for so long, so she's not completely used to so much contact and attention. I'm hoping as time goes by, she'll become more comfortable and maybe not get so bitey.

phoozles
October 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I dunno.. My ex had a couple of torties and neither of them were biters.. :shrug: Alley and Ethel are tabbies, and they like to chomp my fingers off.. I think it's just a special personality trait, like cuddlers or lickers.. or biters.. :laughing:

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Oy, why biters! LOL