Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Wisconsin

PennyAnn
September 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hello,
My name is Penny and I have a 6 year old Brittany Spaniel named Ollie,and a new addition to the family, a 5 month old Chesapeake Bay retriever named Lambeau. Our Chessie is a glutton! He eats so fast, and acts as if he is starving! I tried feeding him smaller amounts three times per day, but that has not slowed him down. Is there some tried and tested way to get him to slow down? He eats so fast that he vomits his food and then eats it. Really disgusting! Any advice would be much appreciated. My Brittany has always been a happy eater and fast, but never like this. It's as if he's possessed. Can't wait to hear from you. Thanks. PennyAnn :pray:

hazelrunpack
September 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hi, Penny. Welcome to the board!

A dog named Lambeau...hmmmm...wouldn't hail from the Green Bay area, would you? :D

A couple of things that have worked in the past to get a dog to eat slower. Put something like a heavy chain or a Kong in the bowl with the food--they eat slower if they have to eat around something.

Another thing that's worked well for us is to just put the food on the floor...let it spread out a bit. He'll have to hunt the pieces down individually before he can snarf them down.

But the thing that works the best for me is mixing a tablespoon of plain natural yogurt (active cultures, no artificial sweeteners) and a teaspoon of plain pumpkin pack (pure pumpkin without sweeteners or spices) in the kibble. It makes it sticky so he won't be able to eat it as fast; it adds a little beneficial fiber to keep him regular; and the yogurt is a mild probiotic :thumbs up

So...got any pics of your youngsters you'd like to share with us? :D

Magicwildwolf69
September 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
i don't know alot about dogs but just wanted to say welcome!

Frenchy
September 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
A dog named Lambeau...hmmmm...wouldn't hail from the Green Bay area, would you? :D

Do you guys know each other or is it because Lambeau is a street name in the Green bay area ? :D

Welcome to pets.ca PennyAnn. I also have dogs who eat way too fast , I put a Kong in the middle of the kibble , slows them down. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well....my memory is very bad, but I don't believe we know each other, Frenchy. :D The name Lambeau just brings to mind visions of Packer jerseys... :p