Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Out of dog food!! What to do?

Myka
September 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I thought I had already bought an extra bag of dog food, but I didn't, so now I'm totally out! I went to buy some more yesterday evening when I found out I didn't have another bag, but I missed the store by 10 minutes! Ack!

So...my dog was "fasted" lastnight, and so far hasn't had any breakfast either. I can't get any of her dog food until Monday. None of the stores that carry her food are open on Sundays.

What can I feed her without upsetting her tummy too much? Someone told me brown rice and boiled chicken?

Chaser
September 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Brown rice cooked with a bit of chicken stock to give it extra flavour is good. Boiled chicken also works....or when Kailey had an upset tummy earlier this week I got her some ground turkey and cooked that up (just plain, in a non-stick skillet and drained any fat off). Adding an egg is also a healthy treat that will help fill her up.

Don't worry...you're probably more bothered by this than she is!

Myka
September 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Brown rice cooked with a bit of chicken stock to give it extra flavour is good. [...] Adding an egg is also a healthy treat that will help fill her up.

Don't worry...you're probably more bothered by this than she is!

:laughing: Trust me, she is bothered!! She's bugging me all morning (she's sitting near me and staring at me right now), and everytime I stand up she goes running to her feeding area. :o

Broth and an egg is a good idea! I have all of those. I don't have any chicken meat right now, so if it's ok to just give her rice, some chicken broth, and an egg then that's what she's getting! :)

Bina
September 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I would try to mimic what was in her dog food. If it is chicken based with rice, etc.
Otherwise most dogs do well on rice with egg and a bit of cooked veggies can be added.

Chaser
September 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
:laughing: Trust me, she is bothered!! She's bugging me all morning (she's sitting near me and staring at me right now), and everytime I stand up she goes running to her feeding area. :o

Awww.....poor girl! lol :laughing:

Yeah, just work with what you've got. And some fresh veggies for snacks is good too. My guys are into carrots, broccoli, apples and melon. You could also cook up a potato or a sweet potato :)

Myka
September 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! :)

I just fed her a 1 1/2 cups brown rice, 1 egg, 1/3 can of chicken broth, and a few squirts of her salmon oil. It looked and smelled gross, but she ate it hungrily!! Hopefully it doesn't bother her tummy. Her food has potato in it, so I will try some potato too. Hopefully with the egg and salmon oil she will have enough nutrition for a couple days.