Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbour Attacks Dog.

Caite
September 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
A family friend has a neighbour in their townhouse that had been complaining about their dog barking. I guess the guy had complained repeatedly. Anyhow, when the dog's owner went out for a bit in the afternoon, she had left the patio door open just a crack. She left the dog at home, but he was inside the house. When she came home, the patio door was open and someone (the assumption is that it was the neighbour) had strangled the dog with a backpack strap and closed it into one of the bedrooms in the house. The dog survived and the police were called, but they weren't able to do anything.

It's just such a senseless thing to do and I'm not sure how this woman managed to not immediately tear the guy's arms off. I understand that the police can't prove that it was this neighbour, but I just wish that the police would take violence against pets more seriously.

Any suggestions for some action (other than things that involve manhandling the neighbour guy)?

Diamondsmum
September 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
hmmmmm She might want to set up a camera or camera's next time & try and catch him in the act.. Sounds like he is whacko & may try it again.. esp seeing the dog survived..

Poor pooch & owner...

*sigh I agree on the violence toward pets should be taken seriously.

krdahmer
September 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It's too bad they don't take it as seriously as they do when a human is attacked.... I mean I bet that guy left fingerprints on something in the house, even the patio door. Maybe they could call an independant investigator or something. If they had of played up the break in part of the crime maybe the police would have taken more of an interest.

I agree just total stupidity and downright cruel (not to mention that guy should be charged at least with breaking and entering) :frustrated: He'll get what he deserves one day, they all do.

14+kitties
September 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
:frustrated::loser: What else can you say?
:goodvibes: for the pup.

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
It's too bad they don't take it as seriously as they do when a human is attacked.... I mean I bet that guy left fingerprints on something in the house, even the patio door. Maybe they could call an independant investigator or something. If they had of played up the break in part of the crime maybe the police would have taken more of an interest.

I agree just total stupidity and downright cruel (not to mention that guy should be charged at least with breaking and entering) :frustrated: He'll get what he deserves one day, they all do.

I agree....there has to be fingerprints and it was a break and enter. I would seek legal advise as this guy will only repeat his actions.

I'm glad the dog is okay. :grouphug:

Caite
September 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I would imagine that since the police know why the person broke in that they won't bother taking prints, etc. I think that a cam is a great idea!

I hate it when people try to tempt me out of my pacifist nature by making me want to beat them senseless. :frustrated:

PwD-SD
September 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
First off the police should have taken finger prints even if they may know who the person was. It is really a shame that people do not take this sort of hate as a crime.

But this lady should take it further and complain maybe to her State Attorney General. Especially how the police acted because they did not follow through with the complaint. They are not judges or lawyers. They are people that are hired to enforce the law.

Although a pet is no more then a property in the court of law (grrrr) she could go after the fellow for unauthorized entrance, damaging property. Hate calling a dog a property myself but that's how the courts look at this. At least she could get him on that. Maybe it's too late being the scene of the crime has be tainted now.

A camera is the best this way she would have more evidence. However I would go one step further and get a sound alarm. This way if this jerk enters again the alarm would sound off and alert other neighbours. Hopefully would make this guy leave before actually doing any harm to the dog.

Tundra_Queen
September 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
OMG.....I thought I was going to be sick! That poor dog!! He is going to be traumatized for the rest of his life!!

That lady should of locked her door, especially now a days!

i would call in someone to do finger prints, cause the guy must have left them on the bedroom door or the patio door. And if they were found in the bedroom them that would be proof he was inside the house!

Longblades
September 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Not to excuse the perpetrator but, DOES the dog bark?

Sorry if that seems insensitive but you didn't actually say. If the guy complains repeatedly about a silent dog then your friend might have grounds for a harassment complaint of her own.

And if the dog does bark she's got to work on that for the dog's own safety.

Tundra_Queen
September 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
LB,, I sure hope your not saying that because a dog barks it justifys someone going into someone's house and almost killing a dog? Please tell me that isn't what u meant.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
LB,, I sure hope your not saying that because a dog barks it justifys someone going into someone's house and almost killing a dog? Please tell me that isn't what u meant.
Tundra Queen , I don't think LB is saying this is ok , but owners are responsable for their dog's behavior. And are responsable to keep their animals safe , I would blame the neighbor , but the owner too after reading the comment below ....
she had left the patio door open just a crack. She left the dog at home, but he was inside the house. .

Any suggestions for some action

I would NEVER leave my home with open doors or open windows. So yes I have a suggestion , tell her next time , she should lock her doors. :shrug: Sorry but leaving open doors isn't being very careful. :shrug:

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I agree with what Frenchy said....I would never leave my fuzzbutts alone at home with a door or windows open. But I think this is still "technically" a break and enter and the neighbour (if it was him) should not have entered the apartment.

growler~GateKeeper
September 28th, 2008, 12:28 AM
:sad: :goodvibes: for the dog

Unfortuately is is not considered break and enter since the door was open, it would be considered illegally entering :shrug: far less "serious" than break & enter

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Unfortuately is is not considered break and enter since the door was open, it would be considered illegally entering :shrug: far less "serious" than break & enter

:sorry: ...... :offtopic:

So does that mean if someone leaves their vehicle unlocked and it gets stolen then the person (if caught) would not get charged with stealing a vehicle?

growler~GateKeeper
September 28th, 2008, 12:58 AM
They would still get charged with stealing the vehicle but not breaking into it

Shaykeija
September 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Personally speaking...if anyone did that to my dog or dogs, they would never find the body...

chico2
September 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I think the victim here is only the poor dog,the owner,knowing the situation with the neighbor,should always make sure the pup is safe..IMO
I do not in a million years condone what the neighbor did,however a dog that barks all day,can drive you batty,especially in a townhouse complex and he lives right next door.

I hope the owner learned her lesson and that the dog is not scarred for life because of this.
If the pup is alone barking all day,she should consider doggie-daycare,or a dog-walker.

weppasmom
September 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
"I hate it when people try to tempt me out of my pacifist nature by making me want to beat them senseless."

:laughing: I love that, Caite! Just reading this thread, I was thinking that if this guy would come into her apartment and try to murder her puppy, then what ELSE would he be capable of?? :eek:
Even if the dog was barking all day, IMHO this guy is a dangerous nut-case!

King
September 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I know its hard to accept when the police won't do anything my child and I were living in this one apartment and within three weeks of being there we had a attempt of break in (worst thing we were home asleep at the time) and then a few months later we had a break in. We moved out right away. However the police said its to hard to get fingerprints at the patios because so many people have touched them, and for the break in it was only one thing they were after and got so I kinda think they knew it was there so that is all they took.

I hope nothing happens to that puppy..........

BrightEyes
September 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think the victim here is only the poor dog,the owner,knowing the situation with the neighbor,should always make sure the pup is safe..IMO
I do not in a million years condone what the neighbor did,however a dog that barks all day,can drive you batty,especially in a townhouse complex and he lives right next door.

I hope the owner learned her lesson and that the dog is not scarred for life because of this.
If the pup is alone barking all day,she should consider doggie-daycare,or a dog-walker.

I've gotta agree with chico here. First mistake, leaving the door unlocked and partially open. Especially when she knows there's a problem with her barking dog to begin with. And yes, a barking dog is annoying. I had one next door to me that every time the tenant went off to work, they would tie it outside and it would bark all day and into the night. Another neighbor finally called animal control, thank goodness. Your friend really needs to find a way to get her dog to stop barking. But I AM glad to hear that the puppers is ok. Now, let's get a backpack strap and go visit the neighbor ---->

Caite
September 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the replies! I don't actually know if the dog's barking is a problem. As far as I know, the dog is in the house when the owner is not home, so even if it does bark occasionally (it's a JRT - it happens!), it wouldn't be as annoying as if it were in the yard. Also, the patio door was left open by mistake, which could happen to anyone, myself quite frequently! Anyhow, I haven't heard any updates, but I will keep you posted if they happen to find said neighbour trapped in a sleeping bag full of hornets or anything....

joeysmama
September 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Maybe I've been watching too many detective shows but I would drop some hints that there actually may be some video or that a neighbor has come forward and said they saw him by the door. I would try to force his hand into admitting it in front of someone who can verify it.

I'm glad the dog survived but I'd be afraid that this guy would try it again.