Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can I get routine bloodwork done at kitties checkups?

kathryn
September 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Jack is due for his yearly checkup and re-vac's. I was just wondering if I can get my cats yearly bloodwork. Is it worth it? I dunno what exactly I would want blodwork done for, but just a general checkup I guess. I get bloodwork done all the time and just figured that maybe if it's a good idea I could get my kitties yearly bloodwork to check to make sure everything is working okay. Tripod had pre-op bloodwork done and it was not very expensive.

Just curious. Wanna keep my kitties in tip-top shape :D Rather have preventative things done vs. waiting until they get sick.

sugarcatmom
September 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I tend to think it's a good idea to have a basic blood panel done on young cats while they're healthy, so that you can establish what is "normal" for them. Then if they do get sick, you have a baseline to compare to. It's probably not necessary to have blood work done every single year in otherwise healthy adult cats, but certainly by the time they're 8 or so they should have a full senior panel (blood and urine work-up) yearly, twice a year if they have a chronic condition.

kathryn
September 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM
My oldest cat is Socks and she will be 3 in Feb. I just want to do anything I can to keep all my critters in good health.

If I ask my vet, what should I say? Just ask if he could run a routine blood screen on my kitties when they come in for their checkups? He's a really cool vet and would be honest with me about it if he thought it was a good idea or not. He never tries to push anything but if I ask for something he will do it. ]'''''''''''

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
My vet's office offers something called a Junior Wellness exam. They do it on a yearly basis. I don't have the paper in front of me, but the blood work consists of a liver profile, check for diabetes and several other things. I've had Vlad, Oksana and Czarina done, and since Maks and Kiska just turned 1, I'm having them done next month.

I'm a worry wart, and if this helps me possibly catch something early that I don't know they might have or could possibly develope, it's worth it to me to keep them healthy.

kathryn
September 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
That sounds like a great idea. My vet is old school. I'll have to see what he has to offer. Jack has FHV-1 still...wonder if that would ever make a difference on his health other then the gunky eyes. Hopefully not. Plus, he's on the lysine now and I hope that helps.

lm9012
October 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Just want to throw in my two cents...I agree with everyone here...on a young cat it may not be necessary to do it annually..but if she's 3 and you've never done it, now's a good time. Then if everything is a-ok...maybe you can do it again in 3 years...etc. But definetely once they hit senior age you must do it annually. Remember animals, especially cats, naturally hide signs of sickness. Blood work will allow you to find anything bad going on where your cat would show no signs of. By the time our furkids show signs of illness..the illness could be very progressed.

It's better safe than sorry...definetely ask about those 'wellness' panels...which may be cheaper than plain blood work and they may throw in urinalysis or x-rays with it as well.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
My vet has different levels of bloodwork. Puddles gets the geriatric annually and Sweet Pea and Jasper get a basic one every two years.