Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chico, you'll be happy to read this... one more shelter NO KILL

erykah1310
September 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Chico, they must have read the last thread about them. It was announced today that the Greater Sudbury Animal shelter is now a NO KILL shelter starting IMMEDIATELY:thumbs up:highfive:

Just thought I would share the good news, I'm thrilled to hear it.

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Thank's Erykah,that's great to hear:thumbs up
Our HS is also no kill,there are cats and dogs that have been there a long time,some people don't agree,figure they are better off dead.
A friend of mine built a cat-run outside the cat-room at HS,so even the cats can go outside for a bit and there are many volonteers for love and cuddles and walking the dogs.
Not ideal,but better than the alternative:thumbs up

Shaykeija
September 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Great News...that means Annie would have been one of last ones to be put down. She is such a good little girl.

Shaykeija
September 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Chico, they must have read the last thread about them. It was announced today that the Greater Sudbury Animal shelter is now a NO KILL shelter starting IMMEDIATELY:thumbs up:highfive:

Just thought I would share the good news, I'm thrilled to hear it.

What thread?

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Great news Erykah .....it will be so nice when they are all that way. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
What thread?

I thought that they were referring to yours....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56633

:shrug:

Shaykeija
September 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Duhhhhhhhhhh :wall:

Hogansma
September 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I have a question about "no kill" shelters. Does that mean they do not put to sleep ANY animal, including sick and injured ones?

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have a question about "no kill" shelters. Does that mean they do not put to sleep ANY animal, including sick and injured ones?

I think if an animal is too sick or injured they will humanely put it down.

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I googled and found this...

http://www.nokillnow.com/definition_nokill.htm

chico2
September 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hogansma,no it does not,if an animal is severely injured or very sick,I am sure the HS here will put this animal down,at least the animal is not dying out on the street alone.
I also know of one instance a few years back,where a whole"cat-room"was euthanized because of some very contagious disease:sad:
However
They were put down to save the lives of hundreds others.

kathryn
September 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Aggressive ones have to be put down too. My shelter is a no-kill shelter, but for whatever reason they do not put that on any of their stuff.

Our policy is to euthanize (put to sleep) only dangerous or potentially dangerous animals, animals that do not respond to medical intervention or have terminal illness.

It's the only way to run a shelter properly. I checked our statistics and the euth rate was 6% so far this year.

My cat was at the shelter for 9 months in a cage... she's perfectly fine now and has zero issues. :shrug: I'd prefer cageless shelters, as mine does have a community cat room, but their not quite big enough to go completely cageless.

Love4himies
September 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Our local no kill will only put down if the animal will not have a quality of life in the very near future. There is one kitty they kept as a shelter resident cat who had cancer and didn't put down until the kitty was in pain.