Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My parents new kitten had his first trip to the vet today

clm
September 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
They've called him Trouble. Apparently he gets himself into all kinds of it. :laughing: The vet thinks he's around 6 months old (boy was I way off, he's mighty small for 6 months). Mom said the vet had to flush his ears, he had a bad earmite infestation. They dewormed him and gave mom and dad another pill to give him in a week. First set of shots and back again in a few weeks for the next set. They got $25.00 off the vet visit for taking in this stray kitty which I thought was a nice touch. Then they quoted them $360.00 to get him neutered. :eek: Mom wasn't too excited about that. She called another vet close to them and got the same price. :eek: That's criminal in my opinion.
I got the number for the Toronto Animal Services spay/neuter clinic for them off the web tonight, so they can call there tomorrow.
Anyway, he's a happy, healthy kitty. I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.:D

Cindy

Frenchy
September 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing stray cats are smaller because they get less much needed good food while growing up :sad: so nice of your parents to take him under their wings ! :thumbs up

Holy crap $360 ?? :eek: It's under $100.00 around here for a male cat.

rainbow
September 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I can't remember what I paid for Ziggy five years ago but it wasn't more than $100. The $360 seems way too high :eek: Is there any smaller towns they can get to as quite often a small town is less expensive. :fingerscr

Don't forget to take your camera with you. :goodvibes:

Winston
September 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
CLM..Queensway Veterinary Hospital charges around $75.00 for a male and around $120.00 for a female?? Not too close but it might be worth the drive?

Thank your parents for taking this kitty !!

Cindy

Love4himies
September 26th, 2008, 07:10 AM
$360 is a bit steep for neutering a kitten. Visiting him tomorrow, wahoo, means kitty pictures to view.

kathryn
September 26th, 2008, 08:27 AM
360$? that's insane :eek: I get i for between 25-55$ with all the spay/neuter clincs around here (there's seriously like 20 of them)

Wheee I wanna see kitty pictures :D

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
OMG $360 no way,that's crazy:evil:
It's been about 6 yrs since Vinnie was neutered,but I paid $105 then.
Hope your parents find another vet for the little guy..can't wait for pics:cat:
Neutering is a very simple procedure,at least in my experience(with my cats:laughing:),this vet probably charges $900 for spaying then:eek:

clm
September 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Okay, so I forgot to take the camera with me to moms on Friday. :wall: I remembered it when I was almost at their house. :laughing: Crap.
I'll be going their again in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have a functioning brain that morning. :laughing:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well at least give us a verbal description of the little tyke! How is he doing? :D

clm
September 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
He's settled right in. He still insists on going outside, but knows he's only allowed out with mom and dad and he never leaves the yard. Never wants to be out for more than a half hour, after that he's sitting at the door wanting them to get up and go in with him. :laughing: I guess he's not taking any chances of being stuck outside ever again. :laughing:
He's ruined one of moms table cloths already and does lots of zoomies around the house. He's all kitten that's for sure. I actually miss that whole kitten thing, even though it's kind of a destructive period. :laughing:

I'm going to call my vet out of curiousity tomorrow to see how much he'd charge for the neuter, but my vet isn't cheap either, so I doubt it's going to be a lot less if less at all. A lot more people would get their pets neutered if it was more affordable, high time vets and cities took note of that.

Cindy

ownedbycats
September 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I just noticed this thread, and I agree with the earlier posters, $360 is overpriced. My vet is going to charge me $170 for spaying my stray cat ( because she had kittens and is a mature spay) and it would be around $120 for a male kitten. Have you looked to see if there is a spay/neuter clinic nearby that specializes in fixing cats and dogs? My neighbour sent hers to one and for $130 her cat was spayed, and had its rabies shot(but wasn't kept over night like my vet does.

clm
September 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The city of toronto animal control will do the neuter for $60.00.

I just called my vet and he charges $149.00, still a whole lot better than $360

Cindy

Love4himies
September 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Humph, still no pics :sad: :D Two weeks :yell: That's a long wait. :sad: :D

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
clm - If you are interested I can put you in touch with TCR. They are the ones I work through to get my guys all done. They are operating on donations now. Luba put me in touch with them. Now I am just passing on my good fortune.

If you have strays that aren't fixed they are willing to do them too.
PM me and I will give you the number.

ancientgirl
October 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
And people wonder why more animals aren't spayed & neutered. I paid close to that myself if I recall. I think the girls were around $295 and the boys might have been around $200. At least your vet charges are more reasonable.

I'm so thrilled your parents have taken this little guy in like this.

clm
October 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your help 14+ and Winston. Just sent you PM 14+, lol just noticed yours right after I sent it, I'm a little slow. :laughing:
You guys are the best. :thumbs up
Winston, Queensway wouldn't be too far either if they need to go there.
They paid through the nose to get their female stray done not that long ago, she was just a kitten herself and pregnant, but just, so the spay went ahead. Another stray that found them. I wonder where I get it from. :laughing:
Not easy for older folks on pensions, you would think more vets and city shelters would offer clinics to help lower income folks and those on fixed incomes.
I dare say more people in general would get their animals done if they didn't feel they were getting ripped off all the time.

Cindy

Frenchy
October 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
you would think more vets and city shelters would offer clinics to help lower income folks and those on fixed incomes.

My vet told me once , if it wasn't for the anasthesie (sp) neutering a male cat is so easy , I could do it myself :laughing:

so really , they shouldn't charge that much $$$$

clm
October 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
My vet told me once , if it wasn't for the anasthesie (sp) neutering a male cat is so easy , I could do it myself :laughing:

so really , they shouldn't charge that much $$$$

:laughing: I know, that's what kills me about how much they're charging. I don't think even if I knew how, I would be willing to do it......thought about being a vet when I was young, then I thought about having to deal with blood, no can do. :laughing:

Cindy

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Clm - your PM is answered. Good luck!

chico2
October 2nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
clm,if would be great if your parents could go where 14+goes:thumbs up
People who rescue and take in strays,should be rewarded,not pay enormous costs for s/n,after all they are keeping the stray cat-population down.
:grouphug:to your mom and dad:cat:

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Any luck? :fingerscr

clm
October 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Any luck? :fingerscr

Haven't called yet, they'd never understand a word I'm trying to say if I called now, I'm that stuffed up. :laughing: The kitten has his second set of shots in a couple of weeks, they want to continue with their vet for that, then I'll give them a call. Thanks for your help though, even if it doesn't work for them, it'll sure be handy for me to know them if I need to get some of my future strays done, and I know there are more strays in my future. :laughing:
When I was talking to mom last night, Trouble was busy digging in one of her flower pots, she kept breaking up the call to scoot the little monster out of it. :laughing:

Cindy

Winston
October 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
CLM tell your mom to put an orange peel in her plant and he will likely stop digging! I have friend that used to have a plant digger and she covered her pots with old pairs of nylons...she cut out the opening and slid them up over the smaller pots!

Tabitha and Bomber were like this too when they were kittens! They used to climb the enterainment centre too reach the plants on top! so I placed a bottle of vicks on each corner of the unit and they wouldnt go near it! they HATE that smell!

Cant wait for pics of this cutie pie!

14+kitties
October 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
That's too bad they've already started the shots. Rabies and first shots are included with the s/n. It really is a great program.

Feel better soon. It sucks being sick. :grouphug: