Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vote for the animals!!

happycats
September 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
cross posting.

So far only the Liberal's and Bloc replied to this survey ... to view click the link below. You too can contact the candidates in your riding telling them you care deeply about the welfare and treatment of animals and ask what (if elected) will they do to improve their protection.

WSPA made it very easy/accessible to voice your concerns, takes a minute AND please crosspost to family/friends/coworkers/other pet forums!

It's still not too late to also send your concerns to questions@electiondebate08.ca

I recently visited www.VoteForAnimals.ca and was disappointed to learn that some parties have still not responded to the survey on animal welfare developed by the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA).

As a resident in your riding and someone who cares deeply about the welfare and treatment of animals, I would like to know what you will do, if elected, to improve protection for animals?

I encourage you to visit WSPA's website to review the survey questions and the responses received so far. I would like to know your personal position on these important national animal welfare issues and hope you will encourage your party to respond to WSPA's survey - if they haven't already done so.

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for posting the information happycats. :thumbs up

This is so easy to do......just fill out your info and a few clicks and it's done. Hopefully more people here will respond since the letter is already done for you. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM
BUMP :fingerscr

happycats
September 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the bump rainbow!!! Keeping this on the top is very important, I hope that every animal lover here takes the time to read and complete it :)

happycats
September 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Bump Bump :)

BenMax
September 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Done of course!! Back again Rainbow.....I knew you would be behind this!

rainbow
September 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Done of course!! Back again Rainbow.....I knew you would be behind this!

LOL.....I figured this thread might get more response since people don't have to actually write their own letter.....just fill out the form. :goodvibes:

t.pettet
September 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Great idea, done, thanks.

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Another bump :goodvibes:

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Just me again. :o

rainbow
September 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
This thread was halfway down page two. :sad:

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/connie_mini_bump.gif

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM
<sigh> .....slid down to page two again. :sad:

Chaser
September 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Done...also posted the link on my Facebook page. Hopefully that will recruit some friends to do it as well. Great idea on the WSPA's part! :thumbs up

rainbow
September 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Chase_Mom :thumbs up

rainbow
September 29th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I really thought this thread would be easier to keep "alive". :sad:

happycats
September 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Your an :angel2: for keeping it alive!!

Sorry I wasn't around to help:sad:, but I'm here now.........so.........

BUMP BUMP!!!!!

LET'S KEEP IT ALIVE, AND TO ALL THE ANIMAL LOVERS OUT THERE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO COMPLETE, AND CROSS POST!!!!!:pray::pray:

mollywog
September 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for posting this Happycats. I only just came across it. very easy to send a letter to the candidates in your riding. :thumbs up
Interesting to see if anyone will receive a response?

happycats
September 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Bump bump!! :)

rainbow
September 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Good to see you back happycats :thumbs up .....I was afraid that everyone was getting tired of me. :laughing:

rainbow
September 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

BenMax
September 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

God I love this RAinbow!!!!!!!!!!!

She is right - keep it going!

happycats
September 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Good to see you back happycats :thumbs up .....I was afraid that everyone was getting tired of me. :laughing:

Sorry I was so busy over the week-end, but I'm back, still busy but able to BUMP :)

Chaser
September 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I got two replies within 12 hours! Apparently the Hamilton Centre Greens and NDP are hip to the animal rights issue...but the Green answer was mainly just cut and pasted from their prewritten policy documents and focused only on farm animals (not that they aren't important too!). The NDP answer wasn't all that clear....mainly just bashed the Liberals and Conservatives....but at least it was a more personal response. :shrug:

The Greens said:

Thank you for your correspondence. The Green Party has long been supportersof all life and all species. Please find below an excerpt from Vision Green our policy document. To learn more about the Green Party and its positionsplease visit www.greenparty.ca

Everyone is against cruelty to animals, but factory farming has brought anew level of inhumane treatment. Chickens are packed tightly in cages theirwhole life, cattle crowd in feedlots, and pigs are kept indoors in cages onslatted metal floors all their lives. Most people believe that animals,including domesticated animals, have the right to be treated humanely. Thecurrent Federal laws protect animals from cruelty under the Criminal Code,but animals fall into the property section, thus Cruelty to Animal offencesare among the very few offences that can only be convicted as summaryconvictions (minor offences, with limited penalties). As well, the CriminalCode uses the term ‘willful intent’ making it very hard to prove a personhas violated the code. Our Vision We believe that animals should be treated humanely and with respect at alltimes. Farming practices must allow animals to live without undue stress andin conditions where they are able to exercise normal behaviours. Manyanimals that live in intensive farming systems show signs of stress such asstereotypies (repetitive behaviours with no purpose) and aggression. Someanimals are kept in a state of starvation such as chicken breeder broilersand sows (mothers of pigs used for meat) in order to keep them at a healthyweight, despite their bred-in genetic predisposition to gain weight.Mortalities, disease and injuries from long transport are a commonoccurrence since abattoirs are often long distances from farms.

Green Solutions Green Party MPs will: a.. Adopt animal welfare legislation to prevent inhumane treatment of farmanimals including intensive factory farming methods. The act will setminimum standards of treatment and have a timetable for the phase out ofintensive factory farming and other inhumane animal husbandry practices. Itwill set standards for distances live animals can be transported, conditionsof animals in slaughterhouses, auctions, entertainment, and it will prohibittrade in exotic animals.

Best regards, John Livingstone, Green Party Candidate, Hamilton Centre

NDP Replied:

Thank you for your note regarding animal cruelty. This is an issue of immense concern to many people, and I'm disappointed that the federal government has so far failed to substantially improve the animal cruelty legislation, which dates back to the 1800s. The NDP has consistently supported initiatives to improve animal cruelty laws, and we opposed the weak law that the Senate introduced last year. Unfortunately, support from the Conservatives and Liberals allowed that law to pass - this will set the campaign to improve those laws back years. I hope this answers your questions. If you have any other questions,please don't hesitate to contact our office.

Thank you. Trudy Morris, Assistant to David Christopherson, MP, Hamilton Centre

Magicwildwolf69
September 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
bump too

i'm just not sure what to do here i clicked the link and all it says is write letter to your candiatiate or letter to newspaper which one do i go too?

Chaser
September 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
bump too

i'm just not sure what to do here i clicked the link and all it says is write letter to your candiatiate or letter to newspaper which one do i go too?

"To Your Candidate" Then you fill out the address form and it automatically directs it to the right riding.

happycats
September 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You guys are the bestest !!:grouphug:

Masha
September 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Done. It just doesn't get easier than this. I forwarded this to people i know; hopefully this will help emphasise to the candidates that people DO care about legislation protecting animal rights.

rainbow
September 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
WOO HOO.....I got helpers today. :D

Keep sending the letters everyone :thumbs up and thanks to those that have already. :grouphug:

rainbow
September 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Crap.....this is at the bottom of the page again. :frustrated:

I can't stay so I hope someone will please keep this thread alive. :fingerscr

Chaser
September 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Where is everybody on this????? :confused: :frustrated:

I got two personal responses from it, and it only took me one minute to send the e-mail!!!! If they reply to you then you have easy access to further pester your candidates, b/c you have their e-mail address and a "Reply" button!

kanis
September 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Though I know who I'm voting for, I still wanted to see if my candidates would reply. Who knows? If I don't receive a reply, my vote may go elsewhere.

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM
BUMP BUMP !! :thankyou:

BeagleMum
September 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I sent my letter off, I am wondering if I will get anything back.

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I sent my letter off, I am wondering if I will get anything back.

In fact you do! Probably a standard letter that they send everyone.

poodletalk
September 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Please read take action now!!

http://www.themix.com/node/794472

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks PoodleTalk - this should be everyone's inspiration to continue to speak out!

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Bump ity bump bump :)

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
BUmp, but I'll make it more interesting this time........this is about being a voice to the voiceless, so I thought this poem would be quite fitting for this post. :)

The Voice of the Voiceless
By Ella Wheeler Wilcox

So Many Gods, So Many Creeds
So Many Paths That Wind and Wind
While just the act of being kind is all this sad world needs.

I am the Voice of the Voiceless,
Through me the dumb shall speak –
Until the deaf world’s ear be made to hear the cry of the wordless weak

From Street, from Cage and from Kennel
From Jungle and from Stall
The Wail of my Tortured Kin proclaim the sin of the Mighty Against the Frail

For love is the true religion and love is the law sublime;
And all that is wrought – where love is not
Will die at the touch of time

Oh Shame on the Mothers of Mortals who have not stopped to teach
Of the sorrow that lies in dear dumb eyes
The sorrow that has no speech

The same Power formed the sparrow - that fashioned man, the King;

But that God of a whole gave a living soul to furred and feathered thing

And I am my Brother’s keeper
And I will fight his fight
And speak the word for beast and bird
Till the world shall set things right.

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Nice HappyCats!

Bumping.....

BenMax
September 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
:confused: bumped yet again....

14+kitties
September 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Very neat poem HappyCats! Hopefully it will touch a few hearts. It did mine!

My letter has been sent. I didn't know what paper to pick for the letter so I left them all checked. :D Hopefully one will print it!

Emails have been sent to friends.

Chaser
September 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
In fact you do! Probably a standard letter that they send everyone.

I got two personal responses....and after replying to my Green candidate for clarification on something, I got yet another personal response.

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Bump.......... page 3 :eek:

BenMax
October 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Green and NDP seem like the only ones that have this part of their agenda. A candidate came by during our fundraising (she could not leave fast enough). When asked questions in regards to animal welfare you could see clearly that this was not part of her agenda....the humming and ahhing gave her away - she did not leave without being forced to answer questions in regards to our questioning. So for me the Conservatives are a definate NO!

14+kitties
October 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
and back to page 1...............

happycats
October 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
bumping it up !!:pawprint:

Chaser
October 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
******bump*******

rainbow
October 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Where is everybody on this????? :confused: :frustrated:

I got two personal responses from it, and it only took me one minute to send the e-mail!!!! If they reply to you then you have easy access to further pester your candidates, b/c you have their e-mail address and a "Reply" button!

I'm still waiting :frustrated: ....only got automated reply thanking me for contacting and they will answer soon. :rolleyes:

rainbow
October 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Bumping up from the bottom of page one. :sad:

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
bump from page 3.......... has everyone sent a letter?

BenMax
October 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Bumpidy Bump.

BenMax
October 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
CANADIANS - PLEASE READ:

Thank you for your recent email opposing Bill S-203, An Act to amend the
Criminal Code (cruelty to animals). The federal NDP supports
strengthening provisions of the Cruelty to Animals Section of the
Criminal Code of Canada to discourage violence and cruelty against
animals and to punish those responsible for such acts.

Regrettably, Harper's Conservatives and Dion's Liberals have teamed up
once again. This time they are blocking efforts to modernize Canada's
19th-century animal cruelty law.

For years, Parliament has been trying to change the law to reflect our
Canadian values. This includes closing loopholes that shield abusers,
stopping those who profit from animal fights, taking animals out of
property law, and protecting wild and stray animals.

All those efforts are at risk. The Conservative government and Liberal
opposition have abandoned a promising bill (C-373) which had with strong
public support. Instead, they are lining up behind Bill S-203-a weak
bill slipped in through the undemocratic Senate-and they're blocking
every NDP effort to amend it.

I am sure you will agree that Bill S-203 is a trick. It's designed to
bury this issue by creating an illusion of progress. How? This bill
increases penalties for some existing offences. Yet, it does nothing to
fix the 115-year-old loopholes that protect abusers from prosecution in
the first place.

What can you do? Alongside every animal protection agency in the
country, you can tell the old-line parties to get serious about animal
protection-and kill Bill S-203:

- Rob Nicholson, Conservative Justice Minister: Nicholson.R@parl.gc.ca /
613-995-1547
- Dominic LeBlanc, Liberal Justice Critic: Leblanc.D@parl.gc.ca /
613-992-1020

Looking forward, the NDP will continue to support meaningful legislative
initiatives that provide real protection for animals. The abuse of any
vulnerable creature, human or otherwise, is something that we should all
take seriously.

Again, thanks for your interest in this important matter. Feel free to
pass along this email to your contacts. All the best.

Sincerely,
Jack Layton, MP (Toronto-Danforth)
Leader, Canada's New Democrats

BenMax
October 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Please everyone write to these people. I am away from my computer all weekend. I am relying on everyone to keep this thread alive. Please keep bumping for me. Thanks.

kanis
October 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've only received one response thus far. Here is it.

I am a dog, cat and bunny owner. We spend time at the dog park on 84th Avenue. We just got our kitty back from the vet after she was attacked by a racoon.

I did look at the website. I am a supporter of PADS and have attended many of their events. Our pets are a big part of our lives and our family. While I am not conversant with the federal legislation that effects animals outside of service dogs, I would be very willing to sit down with your association. I do not want to see any animals be they pets, service, farm or wild abused in any way.

Sincerely,
Brenda Locke

BenMax
October 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Bumping this thread again.