Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A rescue that includes de-clawing in adoption fee???

kathryn
September 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?shelterid=MO349&preview=1

Are you kidding me??
Adoption fee covers: FeLuk/FIV tested (-). deworm, current on vaccinations, neuter, front declaw & micro chip.

314-707-0795 or write to felinesforever@hotmail.com

aslan
September 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
jeez i hope you can request that they don't de-claw, poor kitty toes.:sad:

kathryn
September 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Isn't that really weird though? Why would you even think of doing that as a rescue?? Probably spending extra money on it too. How ridiculous.

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
:sad: :wall:

Magicwildwolf69
September 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
i second that :sad::wall:

kiara
September 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have never heard of that! I wonder how much they charge for the adoption fee? Since de-clawing and neutering is done at the same time and they seem to have money for FIV and Leukemia tests (which most rescues cannot afford), maybe they cater to the rich? POOR KITTIES, they sure have found some cruel "rescuers". And I hope that by word of mouth these people will get shut down.

14+kitties
September 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Sending a short email to them....... I bet I get a snarky one back

Just need to know why you are offering as part of your adoption price the option of declawing? Why when it takes away the animals only defense and leads to biting? All for the sake of furniture? What do you take next?

Love4himies
September 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I came across a rescue in my area that does that when she has the cat altered :wall:. Gave her my opinion and she simply stated, that in her experience it allows for a better adoption success rate :evil:

BenMax
September 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Well I think I have heard of it all.....unreal!

kathryn
September 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I came across a rescue in my area that does that when she has the cat altered :wall:. Gave her my opinion and she simply stated, that in her experience it allows for a better adoption success rate :evil:

Amazing how all other statistics show that declawed cats are more likely to have behavior problems and end up in shelters :confused:

I've had people in the past ask if my shelters kitties come declawed and just told them "the AWA does not approve of declawing" and immediately they understood. Plus my shelter has a nice little pamphlet to give out to anyone asking about declawing. I'm probably the person who gives out the most though :cool: Declawed cats always bite me.

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
What kind of a Mickey-Mouse rescue is that? :wall:

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
OMG,and they call themselves a rescue,I pity the cats that get rescued by them:sad:
I will write them too,it's bad enough on kittens:sad:but even worse if they do it on mature cats,it's just simply animal-cruelty:evil:

MommaKat
September 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
It seems to be a stupid way to make them "more adoptable" Imagine a scared stray goes in and comes out with no nails. I never agreed with declawing but especially not for shelter cats, haven't they been through enough?Soft paws http://www.softpaws.com/ is a much safer and {in my opinion} more humane way of dealing with cats scratching on the furniture, They would probably save a fortune if they provided a pack of soft paws with each adoption rather than declaw every cat that comes in :frustrated:

Whackadoodle is the word of the day!! :evil::crazy:

kanis
September 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
WTF. I don't understand why people still insist on carrying on such a barbaric practice. It's outlawed in a number of countries but not in North America? Disgusting.

Frenchy
September 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Whackadoodle is the word of the day!! :evil::crazy:

again , you're so polite :laughing:

I don't get people that wants an animal but don't want to deal with the "rest". I have cats and dogs , I do expect slight damages to my house and furnitures. :shrug: (and believe me , I've dealt with LOTS of damages :laughing:)

Would a dog rescue shave all their dogs so that people who don't like to vacuum be ok with owning a dog ? :rolleyes: :wall: