Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awesome Cat

Trapper
September 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I was at the SPCA dog jog this past weekend and saw this beauty. It is a domestic African Savannah. 40 pounds and a member of the Cheetah family.

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I do not understand. Was this not stressful for this animal to be at a dog jog - what was the point? Also, why is this animal domesticated and not in a santuary?

Sorry that I do not share the enthusiasm - the animal is absolutely gorgeous, but it saddens me at the same time....sorry.

Trapper
September 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
The African Savannah is a domestic cat. Not a domesticated cat. They are bred as pets and are know to get along with dogs.

Diamondsmum
September 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
yup a friend of mine has 1, She loves baths! & prefers it over her toys.:crazy:

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but I still wonder if this is right.

Trapper
September 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
A quick search shows that they run about $3000. Woah!

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
You know Trapper - I should really research before commenting...I will google and find out more before opening my big mouth. Just a bad reflex I guess.

14+kitties
September 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Lovely animal! Unfortunately doing a search proves that this "breed" has only been domesticated successfully since the mid 1980's. That doesn't seem to me to be long enough to ensure that the "wildness" has been bred out of them.

Again - gorgeous animal! Not sure if it's not being treated as a "status symbol". I would assume it is with those price tags.

http://www.hdw-inc.com/savannahwhatis.htm

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
So this is what I got:

"They are a hybrid cat breed, originally produced by breeding an African Serval cat with a domestic female". So in other words they are like wolf/dog hybrids....

They are beautiful but I am still on the fence....I wonder what will happen in a couple of years from now when the 'fad' is gone.

Trapper
September 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I don't disagree. Cool nonetheless. This guy was 18 years old.

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I don't disagree. Cool nonetheless. This guy was 18 years old.

Very interesting ...how the heck can someone even afford to pay this amount of money??? For him, I am afraid that the cat is a status symbol as previously pointed out.

I really don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I always worry about the future of such animals.

I guarantee you, these 'cats' will evenually require somesort of intervention/santuary one day and there will be a rescue group started for these animals as well in the future.