Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My mini-daschund

Deep
September 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I hope someone can help us. We have a 4 month mini-daschund who has recently taken ill. Our vet has completed some tests to determine that he (Cholo) has a liver infection. He is on two different anti-biotics - Novo-Lexin and Novo-Nidazol. Novo-Nidazol makes him throw up.

My questions are....how does a puppy get a liver infection? And have any of you heard of or given this medication to your pet(s)? How serious is a liver infection and are there any long term effects?

Clearly we are first time pet owners and are a little concerned. Any help would be appreciated.

badger
September 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Did the vet take any blood? Did s/he have any theories as to why a dog so young would have liver disease?
I would ask the vet about the vomiting. If the dog is vomiting right after being medicated, he probably isn't getting much benefit. Is he bringing up his food, or just the pill and some foam?
I don't know if you have researched those particular drugs, but they are commonly given for inflammatory bowel disease and other gastric problems. Maybe it's just a 'bug' and the meds will take care of it. Could he have eaten something off the ground when you weren't looking? Dashchunds are good at that!
Try not to worry, but do stay in close contact with your vet, especially if he doesn't seem to be improving after 2-3 days.

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Cholo. :sad: Did he have all of his vaccinations for hepatitis and leptospirosis?

Hepatitis is a highly contagious viral disease which affects the liver. And leptospirosis is a bacterial disease which affects the urinary system, including the liver and kidneys.

Also milk thistle and denosyl are good for the liver. You could ask your vet about those supplements for Cholo.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Deep
September 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
The vet did take blood but didn't explain how or why he has this infection. He said that Cholo could've eaten something toxic. We watch him very carefully when we let him in the backyard and there isn't really anything there that he could have gotten in to. Of course anything is possible. We haven't taken him to dog parks for fear that he could catch something.

He has been vaccinated for Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, Coronavirus and Bordetella. He has not had his Leptospirosis, Rabies and Lyme shots. He was scheduled to have his Leptospirosis shot right before he got sick.

As for his vomitting, he only throws up sometimes, and when he does, it's food and foam. One time he threw up and it was just his pill pocket with the pills still in them. We have enough medicine to give Cholo for two weeks, so I can only hope that he gets better soon. Breaks my heart to see him ill.

Also, do you know of any Pet Insurers that might still insure him if he is currently sick? Many have told me that he probably won't be covered now that he has this infection on his record.

Thank you very much for your information and support. I will keep you posted.