Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could she get pregnant?

babymomma
September 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hi all. Just a question About pregnancy in dogs, i was walking with my friend today and her toy poodle, and a question suddenly Came across my mind.. Can a dog get pregnant without being in heat ( No the Male poodle wasnt Attempting to hump keely or anything but i was just wondering, because keely isnt getting spayed until next month..)

madge
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm no expert, but as far as I know, it is physiologically impossible for them to get pregnant when not in heat. Of course the whole heat period can last a few weeks, so a dog may be in heat already and you don't suspect, or you may think it's over and it's not... guess prevention's the best strategy!

babymomma
September 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
At 5 months old i doubt shes going into heat of if she has already ( I know its totally possible but not completely probable because i would notice if something was happening) I was just wondering, its one of those weird and kinda dumb questions that randomly pops into my head! lol..

erykah1310
September 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Highly unlikely that a female not in heat will get prego. However there is a chance she could have a silent heat ( meaning basically going into heat but not displaying any of the bleeding ect)

Gail P
September 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
However there is a chance she could have a silent heat ( meaning basically going into heat but not displaying any of the bleeding ect)

Especially a first heat from my understanding. I've heard that the first one can often go unnoticed (to us, but I'm sure not to an intact male)

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Highly unlikely that a female not in heat will get prego. However there is a chance she could have a silent heat ( meaning basically going into heat but not displaying any of the bleeding ect)

Especially a first heat from my understanding. I've heard that the first one can often go unnoticed (to us, but I'm sure not to an intact male)

That's what I've heard as well so best to keep a close eye on her.