Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animals Brutalized In Cornwall's Downtown

Melinda
September 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
another reason to keep your cats indoors...and other pets, this was in our paper this morning.

September 24, 2008 Cornwall's downtown is dealing with a rash of cat mutilations and abuse. The local SPCA says the latest case happened this morning on McConnell Avenue south of Montreal Road where a kitten was found in a pool of blood. SPCA inspector Bonnie Bishop says there have been at least four cases in the downtown where animals have received severe head trauma.(Hear audio clip below) Bishop says in another case a cat was burned to death while other abused animals have been found near the foot bridge next to St. Lawrence College. So far, Cornwall Police have not been brought in on the investigation.

NoahGrey
September 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yup, I am losing my respect for humanity...have been for quite awhile.

Hope they find these individual(s) and damit, I believe in eye for an eye.

ACO22

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
:eek: How sick can people be. :sad: :mad: :wall:

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM
When will this end??? I can hardly read anymore..

madge
September 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Some may not agree with this, and I'm by no means suggesting we bury our heads in the sand, but does reading these horrible stories do anything other than make us feel...horrible?

Unfortunately there are sickos out there, but reading about their deeds only serves to bring everyone down. While we can all agree that what these people do is unacceptable and should be punished by law, perhaps we can instead focus on all the fantastic pet owners, vets, rescue workers, etc., who love animals and have many great stories to tell.

BeagleMum
September 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
The police have not been brought in yet? What are they waiting for? That is exactly why my dogas are never outside without me watching them the whole time. It is so scary!!

chico2
September 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Madge,we have to know about these things happening,maybe it will make some people care about their animals a little bit more.
Also,my animals are safe,we love them,but that does not mean I should not care about what happens to others and try to change things.
We have to make the government see what horrors some people are capable of and try to make sure the laws are changed and these monsters get punished.

babymomma
September 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Some may not agree with this, and I'm by no means suggesting we bury our heads in the sand, but does reading these horrible stories do anything other than make us feel...horrible?

Unfortunately there are sickos out there, but reading about their deeds only serves to bring everyone down. While we can all agree that what these people do is unacceptable and should be punished by law, perhaps we can instead focus on all the fantastic pet owners, vets, rescue workers, etc., who love animals and have many great stories to tell.

These stories help educate and open the eyes of alot of uneduacted people tthat let there animals outside unnattended and some even stop letting the animals outside tied up (Or let loose like a indoor/outdoor cat).. If we didnt hear these horrible stories alot more people in the world would be experiancing this horrible deed. Unfortunalty Some stubborn people Will do what ever they see fit regardless of these Kinds of things. I could get into alot more detail if you still think t he stories shoudlnt be posted.. And Also, Not to sound rude but if you do not like reading these stories that Make you feel horrible, Just dont read them. Some of us (Myself included) Like to read these to keep ourselves informed of what is happening In the world regarding the Animal world, wheather it be horrible stories or great happy stories.. I also like reading up on if the people That are doing these horrible things are punished for the horrible deed.

BenMax
September 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I think that is very necessary. It keeps us on our toes and reminds us that we as society must take action and have our laws changed in regards to animals. If enough people get angry and disgusted, then they will become more proactive rather than sitting on their butts. It is for this reason I have posted a thread that wants EVERYONE to put their money where their mouths are.....tell our government that you are outraged.

It is very disheartening to read all these horrific stories...but they are not stories. This is reality, our reality and the reality that society keeps looking the other way.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM

It serves to let people know what humans are doing and for those who care to take action to have these deeds rightfully punished. It is "the squeaky wheel that gets the grease", so the louder the public screams the more the gov't stands up and listens.

Melinda
September 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
its put in the paper to keep people "aware"........to let them know to keep their pets in and to keep their eyes open in case anyone has seen anything.........

Kai'smom
September 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I subscribe to a UK newspaper here in South Africa (we are uk expats) so we like to keep up with home. There was an awesome double page spread in this newspaper interviewing the RSPCA and government on how the downslide of morals in Britain of the youth of today is reflected in the abuse of pets.
Basically, the crunch was abuse and cruelty to pets should be dealt with far more severely. For example - a 26 year old mother of three kids under the ages of 10 - puts her cat in the microwave. Her neighbour catches her trying to dispose of the cat. She gets 1 year community service. The RSPCA are now working with the Social Services to have this ladies children removed from her care. (someone with some common sense in Britain for a change). Now - you shouldnt have to fight or campaign to see have her children removed - it should be automatic. If that is how she deals with a defenceless animal, what would she do with her kids when she loses her temper. The RSPCA commander was explaining how people treat animals is tantamout to how they treat one another and as they see the youth's morals going down the toilet, they see a marked increase in animal abuse. It was a brilliant article written by a fantastic journalist who really asked some akward questions about society in general.
You had various social workers saying - oh shame you cant remove her children - that would be cruel. No - ahem - i think cruel would be for her kids to suffer the same fate as their family pet. What planet do some people live on?

Love4himies
September 26th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I subscribe to a UK newspaper here in South Africa (we are uk expats) so we like to keep up with home. There was an awesome double page spread in this newspaper interviewing the RSPCA and government on how the downslide of morals in Britain of the youth of today is reflected in the abuse of pets.
Basically, the crunch was abuse and cruelty to pets should be dealt with far more severely. For example - a 26 year old mother of three kids under the ages of 10 - puts her cat in the microwave. Her neighbour catches her trying to dispose of the cat. She gets 1 year community service. The RSPCA are now working with the Social Services to have this ladies children removed from her care. (someone with some common sense in Britain for a change). Now - you shouldnt have to fight or campaign to see have her children removed - it should be automatic. If that is how she deals with a defenceless animal, what would she do with her kids when she loses her temper. The RSPCA commander was explaining how people treat animals is tantamout to how they treat one another and as they see the youth's morals going down the toilet, they see a marked increase in animal abuse. It was a brilliant article written by a fantastic journalist who really asked some akward questions about society in general.
You had various social workers saying - oh shame you cant remove her children - that would be cruel. No - ahem - i think cruel would be for her kids to suffer the same fate as their family pet. What planet do some people live on?

We live on one that always seem to have sympathy for the criminal, not the victim. Maybe it is because it is the criminal that gets the attention of the media and their lawyers paint such a sob story about them. :shrug: